Bucko V Shacks

jono

I think Shackell is getting a hard time on here, god knows what for as he has been one of our better players this season. I'd argue quite consistent too. Yes, he's had a few daft spells but most defenders do, especially at this level.

For the purpose of the argument, however, I will entertain the strengths and weaknesses of both players.

For me, both are dominant in the air. Both aren't the quickest or have the turn of pace needed to keep up with the fastest strikers in the division. However, both are good at reading the game and are very rarely left red faced. 

Buxton can pass the ball better than Shackell, that's without question. I have to admit though, in most department Shackell has the edge on Buxton. 

I'd always say that these are two very fine Championship defenders, though. Buxton is criminally underrated and I think he'd really improve 90% of the teams in this division. It's a shame he's behind two very established and very reputable players to get a starting spot here, well for him, not so much for us. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buxton brings a spirit that shackell does not and that can't be under estimated, whilst we did defend very badly at times before shackell over last two seasons we very much had a never say die come back from anything quality to the team and its spirit,, granted not all the time but quite a lot of the time ,, Buxton was and is a big part of that team spirit thing ,, as  I stated shacks probably edges it as the individual player over Buxton but it's well known in football that the best eleven players don't always make the best team? I'm not knocking shacks and glad I don't have to choose which one gets into the starting line up

7 hours ago, Seth's left foot said:

It's Shackell's turn I see.

Shackell is a better defender than Bucko and that's what his primary job is, give the ball to Thorne and let him pull the strings. And he makes Keogh look a better defender. 

Shackell has a promotion to the Premier League on his CV so he can't be too shabby.

More than one.

Either Bucko or shacks is fine by me; I'd even be okay with Rawson. The problems we have are up front not in defence. We've struggled to create and execute chances all season. Morgan and Huth at lcfc aren't anything special (except be big) but they seem to be doing just fine. 

11 hours ago, Seth's left foot said:

Shackell has a promotion to the Premier League on his CV so he can't be too shabby.

So does Gary Teale...I fail to see the relevance?

Are you suggesting that for him to play in a team that got promoted his distribution must be good?

Maybe distribution was not that important to the style of the teams he got promoted with?

11 hours ago, Alpha said:

Shackell's turn for what? 

It's a thread discussing the strengths and weakness of Buxton and Shackell if you've read it?

Some of the comments about him are way over the top,he is the best CB we have had since Igor IMO (some poor competition but also there is Barker) and to say that Bucko should take his place is ridiculous.

30 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So does Gary Teale...I fail to see the relevance?

Are you suggesting that for him to play in a team that got promoted his distribution must be good?

Maybe distribution was not that important to the style of the teams he got promoted with?

Forward , forward , forward get it forward. 

Too slow , too slow , forward , forward. 

13 hours ago, curtains said:

Thorne needs to pick the ball up then and get it going that's what he's there for. 

That's a good point .. It is often left to Keogh to go on one of his surges to bring the ball out of defence ... But on the other hand Shacks positional sense and solidity have given Keogh to licence to do that with confidence. I am hoping George will be getting sharper and running in to some form so that he can do more of the playmaking his position is supposed to do when in possession. 

Don't think I've seen or made any comments that are OTT. 

I wish people would stop comparing everything to Leicester. 

I could drive down the A52 blindfolded and then say "look, I can drive down the A52 blindfolded." Doesn't mean it's the best way to do it or it needs to be done like that. 

There's a reason that it's extremely rare for a team like Leicester to win the PL. It's like when Barcelona get beat and everyone thinks they know the secret formula to beating Barcelona. 

If you think defenders are for defending and attackers are for attacking then you're wrong 

You attack from the back and defend from the front. Every team in the world does this. So its perfectly within reason to expect defenders to buy into the way you want to play. And we want to be a passing side. So that's why we're talking about Shackell's possession. 

He's not being hammered. I for one have already said he'd stay in my starting 11. 

But there's things that Buxton does better than Shackell. And it's ok to discuss them instead of measuring ability by Premier League appearances. 

Have you seen some of the garbage to play in the Champs League and have World Cup medals. Kelvin Wilson has played in the Champions League. 

25 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

Some of the comments about him are way over the top,he is the best CB we have had since Igor IMO (some poor competition but also there is Barker) and to say that Bucko should take his place is ridiculous.

not ridiculous at all. Shackell flatters to deceive, he's the Kenny Miller of defenders.

He looks the part, but gives us no real advantage. He's just a standard player. I think the fact he's white and English means he gets a better review. But he lacks composure, bravery, commitment, pace, aerial ability from width and most importantly, he doesn't read the game well. He makes a lot of blocks because he doesn't snuff danger at source.

Archived