Bucko V Shacks

jono

Now the big man is back I wonder what everyone's opinions are on these two head to head (Owch that'd hurt)

my feeling is 

Bucko .. Plus points .. Can pass confidently, great when up for corners, scares the bllx off weaker attackers, solid in the tackle.

...............minus points .. Positional sense not the best, can be clumsy, doesn't read potential threats so as easily and Keogh becomes hesitant

Shacks .. Plus points .. Great positioning and reading of dangerous balls. Good heading in defence, good tackles, Keogh is confident and plays a better game

...............minus .... Uncomfortable with the ball at his feet, slow and slack in the pass which can put unecessary pressure on the whole back line

I really like Buckos solidity and heart but for games against quality opposition I would always want Shacks because despite anything else Keogh is less nervy as their respective games seem to compliment each other. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No argument Shackell is the better defender, but if we are planning to play high-tempo, pass-and-move football, we cannot have Shackell in the team. The same with Bradley Johnson.  We need to make a decision (probably over the summer) as to what we want out style to be, and either move on Shackell and Johnson (and get better suited replacements in, if possible). Or we move on Martin, Hughes, Bryson, Thorne, Keogh etc and build a Burnley style play-the-percentages team around Shackell and Johnson.  And I certainly know which I'd choose.

On paper shack ell hands down but I don't think having watched what shack ell brings and what he also lacks over this season compared to jakey boy it's no way clear cut and that is a testament to jake Mr derby county Buxton 

Don't like it that Shackell gets credit for how Keogh plays tbh.

The worst of Keogh came when he had changes all around him. Christie, Shotton, Whitbread, Buxton, Raul, Forsyth, Thorne, Eustace and Mascarell. 

I'm sure Shackell's calm confidence has helped but Keogh and the coaches have probably done more for Keogh. 

On topic. It's a massive trade off. Shackell is abysmal in possession. I've never seen a player stop the ball dead so often. He invites pressure onto the team. We get squeezed in. Then when he does hit the pass the receiver has to wait 10 minutes for the ball to reach him. You can give Shackell 15 yards to step into and he ignores it. Olsson could have a huge spotlight follow him around and Shackell still wouldn't see him.

But he's brilliant at defending. Stays on his feet, awesome awareness. Unbeatable in the air. The way he guides dribbling attackers is spot on. By far the best defender since... Shackell. 

I'd stick with Shackell. But he's massively frustrating. Looks like he's taking a free kick all the time

6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

The worst of Keogh came when he had changes all around him. Christie, Shotton, Whitbread, Buxton, Raul, Forsyth, Thorne, Eustace and Mascarell. 

I'm sure Shackell's calm confidence has helped but Keogh and the coaches have probably done more for Keogh. 

On topic. It's a massive trade off. Shackell is abysmal in possession. I've never seen a player stop the ball dead so often. He invites pressure onto the team. We get squeezed in. Then when he does hit the pass the receiver has to wait 10 minutes for the ball to reach him. You can give Shackell 15 yards to step into and he ignores it. Olsson could have a huge spotlight follow him around and Shackell still wouldn't see him.

But he's brilliant at defending. Stays on his feet, awesome awareness. Unbeatable in the air. The way he guides dribbling attackers is spot on. By far the best defender since... Shackell. 

I'd stick with Shackell. But he's massively frustrating. Looks like he's taking a free kick all the time

Why does Keogh keep passing it back to Shackell over and over again then. 

Ill tell you why because nothing is on as was the case 1st half against Forest. 

"Forward get it forward "but nothing on still get it "forward "shouts the crowd. 

'Lump it forward " shouts the crowd again  and again 

Keogh to Shacks nothing on so Shacks back to Keogh and build from the back. 

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

You're missing the point, @curtains. I didn't like the major wobbly he threw in Wassall's direction - it could have ended up causing a lot of trouble, but it seems that everyone has kissed and made up. He is a quality defender, I won't dispute that at all.

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

That's the best post I've seen on the subject , well balanced and thought out

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

Why does Keogh keep passing it back to Shackell over and over again then. 

Ill tell you why because nothing is on as was the case 1st half against Forest. 

Forward get it forward but nothing on still get it forward shouts the crowd. 

The opposition has started marking Keogh when we have deep possession and leaving Shackell free. It has happened in virtually all of our last 10 games. 

We certainly lose a dynamism in the team with Shackel. You notice it more and more now how the opposition can't close down all four defenders, so they close down the fullbacks and Keogh and allow Shackel time, lots of it, and space on the ball. They seem to know that he'll take ages making up his mind before making a pass to the opposition. However, defensively, Shackel is the better option. 

Can't we morph them into one world class defender? 

2 minutes ago, sage said:

The opposition has started marking Keogh when we have deep possession and leaving Shackell free. It has happened in virtually all of our last 10 games. 

Thorne needs to pick the ball up then and get it going that's what he's there for. 

4 minutes ago, archied said:

That's the best post I've seen on the subject , well balanced and thought out

The question is, what has he done with the real @Alpha?

Archived