Stephen Warnock

TheDeadlySaul

1 minute ago, McMuffin said:

He's a central defender. That's it that's his position. And a back up central defender at that.

I'm not arguing, just making the point that both suggestions are completely insane.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's pretty obvious that Wassall/Morris are wanting the academy players to be used as back up to a smaller first team squad. Having a lot of unhappy experienced professionals not playing regularly can have an effect on squad harmony I guess. The defence is the one area of the pitch where we've not had much rotation as they've been pretty good for the most part of the season.

So Stybana (Lowe if he's ever fit again this season) for full back cover. Rawson and Buxton cover for Keogh and Shackell if needed.

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

No more mental than the suggestions Buxton could play CDM.

He played there once and never want to see him in there. 

8 minutes ago, roboto said:

It's pretty obvious that Wassall/Morris are wanting the academy players to be used as back up to a smaller first team squad. Having a lot of unhappy experienced professionals not playing regularly can have an effect on squad harmony I guess. The defence is the one area of the pitch where we've not had much rotation as they've been pretty good for the most part of the season.

So Stybana (Lowe if he's ever fit again this season) for full back cover. Rawson and Buxton cover for Keogh and Shackell if needed.

And bear in mind next season there are no emergency loans permitted... so those U21 players will get called on much more frequently.

11 minutes ago, roboto said:

Hanson for cover for Thorne. 

5 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

And bear in mind next season there are no emergency loans permitted... so those U21 players will get called on much more frequently.

Since when? Not seen anything to confirm it will not be used next season.

Not really sure who would play LB if we lost Olsson. We now currently have Ssewankambo released/sold, then Baird, Pearce, Albentosa, Shotton and Warnock out on loan. That's a whole back 4 + a sub who would all do okay in this league. I can see a lot of outgoings this summer as Mel tries to get a sort of 'togetherness' back within the squad.

He's going to be a rock in League One. Wigan have pulled a great one here.

You have to feel for Warnock though. He's brought in last January and expects to be in a promotion push and back into the Premier League next season...BUT... has an awful time along with the team on our slide. Gets criticised on his debut for being too enthusiastic (which he apologised for), people slag him off and say he shouldn't ever play for us again. The promotion push fizzles out in 8th place. Warnock tastes bitter disappointment. 

Start of this season Clement is trying out both left backs and to be honest, they were neck and neck, not much between them. Good start for Warnock...BUT...Clement goes with the younger and more attacking option so then he finds himself behind Forsyth. Can't do much there, Fozzy is just a terrific left back there's no denying. Always going to be a big ask getting in ahead of him. Bitter disappointment as he watches from the sidelines.

Plot twist: Fozzy gets injured and Warnock sees his silver lining and gets a run in the team. He plays amazingly well for weeks, has a few stints with the armband, and generally silences many of his doubters. He believes he has a chance to play first team football, be a senior member of the squad, and has an opportunity to pass on his knowledge to young Max Lowe. And many players when they get to Warnock's age relish the opportunity to take youngsters under their wing, they love the game and they love to see the next generation love the game. Terrific. Everything's coming up Warnock now.... BUT... Lowe gets injured and Olsson has to come in as cover. Warnock does very little wrong but still gets dropped in favour of Olsson and loses his place even on the bench. He becomes public enemy no.1 for no real reason, even his off-pitch mistakes like tweeting that he was going for coffee was jumped upon as treason as if he defiled the Bloomer bust or something.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wigan fail to go up now. He's like Unlucky Alf from The Fast Show. 

I do have to question the decision making sometimes - what if Olsen gets knacked tomorrow night?

surely worth keeping on for 10 or so games.

Good luck to him - put his effort in

(even though he played for leeds and stopped us winning the cup season before last:ph34r:)

I think this is a shame.

For me, he was a good pro and sniffed out danger where others couldn't.

Olssen and Christie are good athletes but their first instinct is to attack.

We have come to rely upon this due to underperforming wingers but at the expense of danger at the back.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

I think Mel is pandering to superfan pressure.

Who is pulling the strings? Easy, it's B4! 

He wanted Warnock gone since his red card last January, and hates Chris Bird too, hence him going.

Both b4 and Mel make as much sense as each other. 

So Baird and Warnock go out on loan

Ssewankambo sold

Lowe injured

Given that Christie and Olsson are having to work so much as they're on the overlap every attack it's a bit worrying that there's no back ups other than Keogh at right back and possibly Hanson

Good move for Warnock and sensible by the Rams if we receive a loan fee and wage reduction it is not as if we were going to offer him a further deal to stay, who will cover him covering Olson who knows but I would suspect our current head coach has a lot of faith in someone doing it so let's trust him.

as a side issue that is two of Clements ex captains not here currently how many are left? 

Archived