Stephen Warnock

TheDeadlySaul

16 hours ago, sage said:

It is possible for someone to play well individually but still have a negative impact on the team due to their style of play.

For instance Shackell being a good defender but slowing down our play.

Shackell - being so big - creates his own gravitational field which attracts the ball and bends light and seems to slow down time, thats all.

no, it actually does slow down time. 

Have you noticed how when he comes towards you he looks slightly pinker and sounds slightly more shrill than when he's running away from you? Then he looks slightly bluer

or redder.....and he sounds deeper.

Its relativity. 

Its the same with chris martin.

chris martin is so big that if you go up to him, time actually stands still.

Nothing happens at all. 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But he doesn't play the Derby Way! Olsson flatters to deceive he neither attacks nor defends with any great ability, but he runs about a bit it seems.

Hope Warnock gets promotion with Wigan, he deserves it for the effort he put in for us.

23 minutes ago, Half fan said:

Would Neil Warnock have told Best to target Stephen Warnock in the same way he told him to target Olsson?

I think not, as Best would have come off second best.

Both Warnocks must be grinning from ear to ear.

Would Stephen Warnock have made it to the byline to cross for our first goal?

Probably not, I agree.

But there are six players ahead of the left back (you can tell how old I am) tasked with creating and scoring goals for us - and only one behind the left back tasked with stopping goals against us.

Therefore I reckon the priority for a left back is to be able to defend. I bet if you add up the goals SW prevents, it far out numbers the goals Olsson helps create - not to mention the goals Olsson has conceded because he cannot defend, especially headers at which SW was superb.

For me, it just shows how badly our club is run.

35 minutes ago, Half fan said:

Probably not, I agree.

But there are six players ahead of the left back (you can tell how old I am) tasked with creating and scoring goals for us - and only one behind the left back tasked with stopping goals against us.

Therefore I reckon the priority for a left back is to be able to defend. I bet if you add up the goals SW prevents, it far out numbers the goals Olsson helps create - not to mention the goals Olsson has conceded because he cannot defend, especially headers at which SW was superb.

It's a valid argument. For me, the problem with traditional defensive full backs is they aren't compatible with a deep lying DM and one up front. Warnock is a quality defender and would function well in a 4-4-2, but that would require us to drop or play out of position our two (arguably) most important players in Thorne and Martin.

Christie can create, and does. With that alone he gets less flack from me than Olsson.

You are right derbys system does require wing backs as opposed to full backs.

But having said that i would still play warnock if he was here. he isnt so bad going forward, and can put in a good cross himself.

How many more goals to the back post will Olsson concede in the air?

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2016 at 20:16, Half fan said:

Would Neil Warnock have told Best to target Stephen Warnock in the same way he told him to target Olsson?

I think not, as Best would have come off second best.

Both Warnocks must be grinning from ear to ear.

So, how many goals was Olsson beaten by Best for?

On 3/11/2016 at 22:43, Half fan said:

Probably not, I agree.

How may goals have been Olsson's fault?

58 minutes ago, sage said:
58 minutes ago, sage said:
59 minutes ago, sage said:
On 11/03/2016 at 22:43, Half fan said:

Probably not, I agree.

How many goals have been Olsson's fault?

Good grief, Sage, memory tests are a bit of a struggle for us oldies.

Two v Wolves and at least one v Rotherham. Any more?

But my long term memory is far better. Blackpool won the FA Cup in 1953 and I seem to recall that the Wizard on the Right Wing had the game named after him (even though the other Stan scored a hat trick which has never been equalled in the Final). Where was Olsson then, eh? Wasn't even put on as substitute when the left half became injured.

(Funny how footie still has a centre half, but no right half or left half. The influence of centre ground politics, I suppose.)

Still, I do agree that now we are on the front foot, Olsson plays a good part and has less call on his defensive duties, especially his heading. Just because I look after a horse (can't stand cats) doesn't make me a swede-basher, you know!

And now Will's back on the pitch and Harry's on the sidelines, aren't we a well run club?

Wemberly, Wemberly, Wemberly (couldn't get a ticket in 1953).

3 hours ago, Half fan said:

And yes, before anyone points it out, pressing the right buttons on this forum to reply to Sage is also a struggle.

You suggested Best was told to target Olsson, this suggests some form of prolonged tactic.One of Best's goals was the fault of Blackman who made no attempt to challenge him and Carson who flapped at a soft header.

For the goal to are referring to, Best pulled to the back post once and outjumped a much smaller player as all good CFs do. Martin has done it a couple of times this season. Saville also outjumped him at Wolves. As both players he was challenging in the air are much bigger than him, I would hardly suggest them gaining the advantage is a case of a goal being his fault.

I am not how Wolves first goal is his fault, He got back to the winger and held him up. If you wish to apportion blame them Butterfield and Thorne are far more culpable as they left someone unmarked on the edge of the box.

He isn't as good in the air as Warnock but He would have struggled to match Best at Rotherham.  He is however much quicker than Warnock and this outlet provides a balance to the team that cannot merely be measured in goals and assists, 

To suggest Wassall's decision to pick Olsson over Warnock based on their relative merits is symbolic of a badly run club is nonsense or trolling.

Warnock provided a good assist at the weekend. Got forward into the box, put a good ball in, and even showed pace for it.

Hope you were watching Wassall.

Having said that, and with all the concerns I have with Olsson, Christie was to blaime even more so at Rotherham when i watch the goals back again.

Thankfully he got dropped and now has returned a better player.

Archived