Wolverhampton Wanderers vs. Derby County

AmericanRam

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I thought Butterfield was terrible from a defensive point of view. In fact, Wolves totally won the midfield battle with Butterfield, Hendrick and Thorne really poor at making tackles.

Russell I thought did OK. Drove inside a few times, played a few balls in to Martin's feet. Did far more than Weimann.

Our best spell of the game came in the first 10 minutes of the secnd half. Then the changes came, and it totally disrupted our play. It was real desperate stuff.

I'm still shocked at how we managed to spend £25m.

Derby County should are the shining example of what not to do when you get promoted, and now the perfect example of what not to do when pushing for promotion. Proper train wreck stuff.

According to WhoScored, Butterfield made five tackles today and got the fourth highest rating overall (7.3) behind three Wolves players. He had three shots on target too, but that's irrelevant to the point I'm making. Hendrick and Thorne made three tackles too. So no, Butterfield clearly wasn't terrible from a defensive point of view. I've used the stats but I saw the game so I've used my eyes too. And despite not being a fan of seeing our most gifted creator and shooter being deployed in a holding midfield role, I felt he was much better in there than Thorne on the day. He retained possession, he broke up play, thwarted a Wolves forward who was running in on goal, twice with great standing tackles and still remained the most likely player to create or score for us albeit playing deeper. You're the only person I've seen today who has criticised his performance and so I'm now left wondering why I've reacted. But there you go. 

Russell was absolutely useless. Beyond bad. But yes, much better than Weimann who is not a winger. But neither is Blackman, or Ince or Johnson for that matter. I think the idea is to have our full backs doing the wing play with Johnson and Russell et al more narrow and allowed to come inside. It's a shocking idea that's not worked all season. It crowds an already clustered midfield, I lost count of the times Johnson was central today leaving Olsson alone or letting Butterfield (that awful defensive player) do his work for him. Quite how Bradley retains his jersey is anyone's guess and the same goes for Russell. 

While I'm here, a few other points. 

Jason Shackell was the worst player on the pitch. Takes 20 minutes to decide what he's doing then tries and often fails to do the simplest of things. Between him, Johnson, Thorne and Martin our play is slowed down to snail like speeds allowing opponents to regroup and reform their shape. Which isn't great when all four are seen as certain starters and play right through the spine/middle of the team. This Derby side will never play the attacking, exciting brand of football we all hope for with all of them involved. 

Thorne is either unfit or something much worse. Harsh that a player in that state is preferred over a very good Hanson who'd played in two victories. 

The subs were all wrong and if anything they helped Wolves. 

And Wassall needs to stay off the happy pills before conducting post-match press interviews. 

We deserved nothing today. Only Butterfield, Martin, Keogh and possibly Christie were anything like 'good' and the saddest thing of all is that Wolves were there for the taking. 

All the above is my opinion, not necessarily factual. I'm now going to get mortally drunk and abuse my spouse.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With exception of Butterfield our midfield has been rubbish for months....Johnson is nowhere near the player he has been for his previous clubs..Hendrick is doing his usual thing a couple of good games followed by numerous performances where you wonder if he is on the pitch.He needs to realise how big he is and stop playing like a fairy goes over far too easily he should be dominating with his physical size.Bryson must start next week

I am exempting Hanson from any critiscism has he has done nothing wrong

Russell is a player that reminds me off Daryll Powell runs around alot looks busy and delivers little but fans love him because of the effort they see.Meanwhile Martin needs to lose a few pounds.

I know opinion on Ince is split but he can conjure up a match winning moment even when he is not in the game his type of player can be frustrating but every team needs one so for me he starts regardless.

Meanwhile Darren let Craig Short do the after match interviews because you are making yourself look bad doing them

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

Fair account WH. However, I thought Christie lacked awareness today, often watching whilst a team mate needed help. His shoulders seemed to droop too. This team needs a pick-me-up and fast.

I said possibly because you're right, he did lack in certain areas, awareness perhaps and the poor attempt especially to stop that Doherty cross for the winner. But he worked tirelessly down that flank where Wolves through Helan concentrated their attacks all game and he won a lot of challenges and tried to get us forward at times. I'd give Butterfield and Martin a 7, Keogh a 6 and Christie a 6. The rest of the outfield players can share a 1. With their Dominos pizza.

2 hours ago, eddie said:

Got back half an hour ago. Rather than call the police non-emergency number (it was a policeman who suggested it - and they would have towed it), we had a wander into town and got a coffee and a sandwich, then went back to the car. 5 minutes later the owner showed up, family in tow, looking very sheepish and apologetic when he realised what he had done.

What did you think of the game?

3 hours ago, eddie said:

Got back half an hour ago. Rather than call the police non-emergency number (it was a policeman who suggested it - and they would have towed it), we had a wander into town and got a coffee and a sandwich, then went back to the car. 5 minutes later the owner showed up, family in tow, looking very sheepish and apologetic when he realised what he had done.

Did you thank them eddie?

I know I would have.

Just now, Derbyram1983 said:

How have we gone from all this ambition to none at all. 24000 season tickets to about 16000 next season. Not one player I would be bothered about keeping. Only problem is there **** and nobody will want them 

Absolutely spot on. A complete mess. Wouldn't mind loosing with passion but those players should be ashamed of themselves today.  A really kick that. I know people moan but that today just took the piss. It's along way back now. Fans will fall away. Watch this space. 

I left the room and went to do some work in the garden on a lovely spring like day the second I saw the substitutions being made. It was obvious that we would then proceed to lose. They did. 

I have watched 3 of the 4 games under the control of the new guy. In each one, the selections were fine, we played ok to fine , things were going fine, we had every chance of winning those games. For some reason, at a relatively early point in the second halves when there was still all to play for , the guy in control then decided to throw all the balls up in the air, abandon the formation (note : i did not say "change" the formation, I said "abandon" the formation , as in abandon trying to play football in a formation ) and take pot luck. Result : from being on course and with a reasonable expectation of winning each of those three, we win one (which should have been a draw) and lose the other two.

I have no interest in and take no pleasure from watching incompetency unfurl in front of me. In does annoy me, however, when that incompetency makes a laughing stock of one of the few passions I have in my life, Derby County.

Drop them all put the u21s in have we got junior  team.people who come from derby and would love to put on the shirt. Half of them who play on racecourse can pass better to team mates then them clowns. First season unlucky second season bottled it this season here for money.

17 minutes ago, Rammy1 said:

Absolutely spot on. A complete mess. Wouldn't mind loosing with passion but those players should be ashamed of themselves today.  A really kick that. I know people moan but that today just took the piss. It's along way back now. Fans will fall away. Watch this space. 

All that would change just as quickly back in an instant IF we go on a winning run, whether it be this season or next, particularly IF a popular new coach was appointed. Watch this space. 

Results business for many "fans".

On 25 February 2016 at 18:01, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Kick off is 12.30 mate. 

Wow, what a day I've had.

I never saw this, had planned to go to the gym with my mate in the morning and was checking my phone around 11, when I saw a tweet from the club showing a vine of the players arriving. They're a bit early, thought a ponderous Leicester Ram. So I checked the kick-off time on my phone then promptly grabbed my mate and sprinted out the gym. 

I had a 1 minute shower at my place, while waking up my flat mate who'd been out til 7 in the morning. We ran to Selly Oak train station where only one of us had time to buy a ticket to New Street. While on the train to New Street I then bought tickets to Wolverhampton for my mates, and when we arrived at New Street we had 5 minutes to get the 12:01 train to Wolverhampton. I ran out through the gates while they got onto the platform, got the tickets then sprinted back, making it onto the train with a minute to spare.

Got to Wolves at 12:20, got a taxi to the ground and only missed 1 minute of the ******* ***** that Derby served up today :cool::cool:

I don't want to say it's Del's fault for not quoting me in that post, but it really sort of is.

(Also my mate who'd been out til 7 and only had 4 hours sleep missed the Martin goal because she was getting a pie)

5 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I never saw this, had planned to go to the gym with my mate in the morning and was checking my phone around 11, when I saw a tweet from the club showing a vine of the players arriving. They're a bit early, thought a ponderous Leicester Ram. So I checked the kick-off time on my phone then promptly grabbed my mate and sprinted out the gym. 

I had a 1 minute shower at my place, while waking up my flat mate who'd been out til 7 in the morning. We ran to Selly Oak train station where only one of us had time to buy a ticket to New Street. While on the train to New Street I then bought tickets to Wolverhampton for my mates, and when we arrived at New Street we had 5 minutes to get the 12:01 train to Wolverhampton. I ran out through the gates while they got onto the platform, got the tickets then sprinted back, making it onto the train with a minute to spare.

Got to Wolves at 12:20, got a taxi to the ground and only missed 1 minute of the ******* ***** that Derby served up today :cool::cool:

I don't want to say it's Del's fault for not quoting me in that post, but it really sort of is.

(Also my mate who'd been out til 7 and only had 4 hours sleep missed the Martin goal because she was getting a pie)

If the team had only shown half the effort and commitment you clearly have.:thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Wassall's substitutions are gash. 

Got to agree. We were (I thought) in relative control at the time of the first two changes.

24 minutes ago, 61GT said:

If the team had only shown half the effort and commitment you clearly have.:thumbsup:

I reckon the pie would have played better than half the players as well.

40 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Is that a mate with benefits? Apart from the obvious that she goes to the matches with you.

Archived