Wolverhampton Wanderers vs. Derby County

AmericanRam

8 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

But good players don't become bad players overnight. Johnson scored 15 goals in a Norwich side that got promoted last season despite sacking the manager. Shackell played in the Premier league, Olsson and Weiman are full cap internationals as are Hendrick and Martin. They aren't playing to their potential and that is down to management.

Johnson and Weimann have.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

I would say that the priority now is to stay in the playoffs, but TBH, even if we do, any of the other three would likely batter us over two legs. 

Did we get any better in the second half? Had to go out at HT so only saw the abject first half display. Didn't really see much difference to a Clement performance TBH. Same lack of urgency. Same lack of craft/invention. The same general lack of any kind of positive gameplan. Thought we were extremely fortunate to go in level against what is, in all truth, an absolutely garbage Wolves side.

If you like lack of urgency and an utter lack of any kind of threat in the final third you would have loved the second half. Otherwise I would say we were worse purely because at least we scored in the first half.

First off i thought today was a horrible game from all aspects to watch. We lacked verve, pace and creativity which once Wolves got the opener, made it hard for us to fashion any reasonable chances in the first half. Second half we came out strongly buoyed by Martins late equaliser (great to see him start hitting the back of the net) but it kind of seemed to die down without us having any other notable chances - the best probably being inces first time curler? Limited to long range shots mainly through butterfield who is proving to be a very good buy. Thought we were unlucky to go behind but a soft goal to concede which clearly galvanized Wolves. Not usually one to single players out but felt that collectively a lot of players had poor games today and that only really Keogh, Olsson, Butters and Martin can be happy with their performances. I know Olsson made a mistake (or am i being harsh?) for the winner but thought he was a great attacking outlet, especially in the second half by making plenty of runs and putting balls in the box. Don't get the criticism towards Wassall trying to be upbeat? Better than admitting we were poor - the players will already know that so a public condemnation will do confidence no good at all. A real shame today as I really thought things were starting to come together for us but can only move onto the next game now and we will still be 5th come the end of this round of fixtures. Personally would like to see Camara get some game time as Weimann made a less than significant impact today and Blackman simply is not a winger. Next 4 games all against bottom half opposition if we can maybe go unbeaten in those games it should set us up nicely for the run in, hoping for a marked improvement next weekend at home. Keep the faith boys 

1 minute ago, eddie said:

Still in Wolverhampton, stuck on a car park. Blocked in - there are two rows, and a moron decided to start a third, leaving my car the jam - or is that yam - sandwich.

Eddie, please be careful. Wanky Wanderers' top boy was on this thread a few pages ago threatening violence against Derby fans. We are all very scared, I can't imagine what it must be like out there.

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Wasn't that supposed to be Baird's job?

Yes, the key difference being that Eustace could actually play a bit of football. Not trying to be too harsh to Baird, he's a fine defender, but he's never a ball playing defensive midfielder.

15 minutes ago, Anon said:

There was maybe 10 minutes after the break where we got after Wolves and looked like we might be the team pushing for a winner. We didn't manage to maintain that momentum, our subs made us worse and we deserved to lose.

7 minutes ago, GenBr said:

If you like lack of urgency and an utter lack of any kind of threat in the final third you would have loved the second half. Otherwise I would say we were worse purely because at least we scored in the first half.

FFS. Hard imagining anything worse than the first half performance.

Very much an optimist when it comes to the Rams but today was pretty putrid overall.No enthusiasm or energy displayed,and no surprise ended up with nothing,etc.

If had to pick Motm would say Butterfield.

Johnson might as well have been The Invisible Man.

I still have faith in them,hopefully do better next game.

On a more positive note just won 100 bucks on a scratch off lottery ticket.Yay.

26 minutes ago, HKRam said:

A typical argument people use to defend the manager.

In total we used 14 players today. Players do have ups and downs but how likely is it for all 14 players to be bad at the same time? And don't forget we have a big (read "bloated") squad from which Wassall can pick his starting 11.

Wassall is obviously a much better man manager compared with PC. But he is simply not qualified for the job. End of story.

No way. Not having it. You can't blame the manager when players with so called quality misplace simple passes time after time. What's he supposed to do? Chase around the pitch berating them? He picked a team good enough to win that game, with tactics good enough to win it. The players let him down. END OF. (Take that!)

I thought Butterfield was terrible from a defensive point of view. In fact, Wolves totally won the midfield battle with Butterfield, Hendrick and Thorne really poor at making tackles.

Russell I thought did OK. Drove inside a few times, played a few balls in to Martin's feet. Did far more than Weimann.

Our best spell of the game came in the first 10 minutes of the secnd half. Then the changes came, and it totally disrupted our play. It was real desperate stuff.

I'm still shocked at how we managed to spend £25m.

Derby County should are the shining example of what not to do when you get promoted, and now the perfect example of what not to do when pushing for promotion. Proper train wreck stuff.

Just listen to the Wassell post match interview, is he on the same planet compared to the rest of us. That was a poor performance, end of, there was only one team who were going to win that game & it certainly wasn't going to be us the way we played. Wolves were first to virtually everything, they looked the team 5th in the table not us. At least Clement would say what he's seen.

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

I thought Butterfield was terrible from a defensive point of view. In fact, Wolves totally won the midfield battle with Butterfield, Hendrick and Thorne really poor at making tackles.

Russell I thought did OK. Drove inside a few times, played a few balls in to Martin's feet. Did far more than Weimann.

Our best spell of the game came in the first 10 minutes of the secnd half. Then the changes came, and it totally disrupted our play. It was real desperate stuff.

I'm still shocked at how we managed to spend £25m.

Derby County should are the shining example of what not to do when you get promoted, and now the perfect example of what not to do when pushing for promotion. Proper train wreck stuff.

Yes and can add Johnson to at how bad we were in midfield tackling. I can only assume George wasnt fit ... and altho understandable he was taken off how come we didnt bring a midfielder on to replace him with Hanson and Bryson both unused subs. .  If we are losing the midfield battle why play three against five in midfield?

I dont think its a  case of wasting £25 m in transfer fees its the cluenessnes of managers who dont know how to use the resources available.

Time to stop p1ssing baout with head coaches and academy coaches and just get a proper manager in.

Ince wasn't all bad,and Martin wasn't that good. Ince placed a delightful reverse pass to Martin who had the goal gaping in front of him.Martin for some strange reason turned back away from goal and passed the ball to nobody on the far wing It was unbelievable,the commentary team were so amazed they played it back twice. We played like a collection of individuals who had never played together before.No cohesion,no pattern,no teamwork,we were giving the ball away or losing it around the half-way line from the start,and got worse as the game went on.That is apart from a spell straight after half-time when we looked better,and the Manager spotted that and.....er made 2 changes.Doh!! It was a miserable all round performance.Somebody on here said that the next 4 games are against lower league sides and we should get some points.Thats funny I thought the last 4 games were against lower league sides,and we are actually getting worse.

Thonre for Hanson was what i thought was happening until i saw Ince was coming on then I thought another sub must be happening very soon after.....

I more inclined to believe GT not fully fit and deffo not sharp which begs the question why drop Hanson after decent performances?

Johnson off for Bryson sooner would have been my move and sooner.

Can we not just go back in time two years and have a word with Keogh?

Archived