Playing in Gorgeous Light Blue

Ninos

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder about the whys and wherefore of keepers playing in black. I noticed Carson in bright green yesterday and thought that a keeper should be more visible and looks actually bigger in bright clear colours. Maybe I'm talking crap and I'm sure there will be someone popping up to shoot me down 

I really reckon standout colours help teams.

you need to process visual messages quickly and anything that helps a player even by a millisecond spot a team mate has to be a good thing. ...more member that dull Man U grey .. Lost a lot of games wearing flat couples with limited contrast.

got to have good differential between your colours and opositions 

gawd I am too serious !  

Derby county Kings of the river in turquoise blue .. ( oops mental image of the Derwent a nice soupy brown )

1 hour ago, jono said:

I really reckon standout colours help teams.

you need to process visual messages quickly and anything that helps a player even by a millisecond spot a team mate has to be a good thing. ...more member that dull Man U grey .. Lost a lot of games wearing flat couples with limited contrast.

got to have good differential between your colours and opositions 

gawd I am too serious !  

Derby county Kings of the river in turquoise blue .. ( oops mental image of the Derwent a nice soupy brown )

Takes me back to my childhood, reading footie stories in the Rover. The madman of a manager insisted that his team played in some day-glo colour because it was a foggy day, and they'd be able to pick each other out in the gloom.

Revolutionary for the 1950's, but a good point. (They won, of course.)

Then of course there was the match where the opposition had a mazy dribbler who was the main threat, so he picked a bloke queueing up to go in who wore unfeasably thick glasses, and woud therefore have to peer closely at the ball and not be mesmerised by the tricky footwork. . . . .

but I digress.

8 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

I wonder about the whys and wherefore of keepers playing in black. I noticed Carson in bright green yesterday and thought that a keeper should be more visible and looks actually bigger in bright clear colours. Maybe I'm talking crap and I'm sure there will be someone popping up to shoot me down 

There was some research recently (probably by the Germans!) that showed that a goalkeeper in red is less likely to concede from a penalty.

Perhaps you could suggest some nice shade of cerise.

22 hours ago, Ramshankered said:

It's deffo my fave kit of recent years. Managed to bag myself a shirt too. Sadly the labels have already started to peel off though, leaving lovely urine-yellow marks were the glue has bonded with the fabric. Shame football clubs and the manufacturers don't focus more on quality. 

Dying to get my hands on the third kit, wish I bought a shirt earlier on but wasn't sure about the colour when it first came out, kinda grew on me after we played a few games in it. Can't find it for sale anywhere now no matter what site! 

I've found that doing the little things can help preserve the shirt quality / longevity. Various tips I've been given in the past were some I already knew and some I hadn't even thought of-

If you stick em in the wash, turn em inside-out first, which apparently helps with the whole numbers peeling/fading situation. This applies to any regular shirt as well that might have some sort of design or graphic on it. (Also applies to jeans/denim, basically 90% of clothing. Ever since I learned about this it's now basically a habit for me, nearly all my stuff that goes into the wash is turned inside out.)

If you tend to hand wash any of your kits (which is the recommended way but I'm always too lazy for this, even though I regret it every time the numbers start to crack or fade!) also turn inside out and use the same soap you use for the machine.

Use cold water either way.

Wear some sort of undershirt which reduces the long term effects that sweat has on fabric. Especially handy this one, since our home kit is white and over time sweat contributes to the yellow tint (as does a lot of bleach). Also reduces the number of times you'd have to throw it in the wash, unless you sweat like a maniac every time!

Hang dry every time unless you're in a hurry. Sticking it in the dryer is basically giving the poor shirt a life sentence, even if you keep it on the lowest heat setting.

Keep it on a hanger instead of folded. Did not know this one until recently when suggested by a friend. Apparently does any sort of print/numbers/badges on the kit a world of good and prevents the whole cracking/peeling ordeal.

On 2/21/2016 at 09:22, Ewe Ram said:

Doesn't seem like a strong enough opinion to warrant being shot down :lol:

I find most ideas about colours and how we perceive them usually require research to prove/disprove. This tells me it matters very little :p 

Archived