The Chris Martin dilemma

Sexydadbod

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, thekingofbuxton said:

Blackman had/has to pay alongside Martin .

Whether he was told to do so or not,  on Saturday Russell drifted around and offered very little support to Martin, who once again became completely isolated.

Blackman was reportedly tearing championship defences apart on a weekly basis before we signed him. If he was up front,  with his pace and Martin's deftness of touch and support surely we would fare better than the disappointing (or pleasing to some) performance from Saturday. 

Id play:

Carson

Christie keogh  shackell olsson

Johnson (thorne when fit obviously)

Hendrick butterfield bryson

Martin blackman

Thoughts?

Blackmans **** and bents past it if anybody should be beside martin its ince simple hes wasted out wide if not why not have a look down to the under 21 zanzala looks very promising give him a go( ino hes out at stevenage atm but not sure if we have a recall on him?)

38 minutes ago, Derbylad92 said:

Blackmans **** and bents past it if anybody should be beside martin its ince simple hes wasted out wide if not why not have a look down to the under 21 zanzala looks very promising give him a go( ino hes out at stevenage atm but not sure if we have a recall on him?)

this was mentioned on Saturday, Zanzala cannot be recalled until 28days have passed. I don't know how long he's been there.

6 minutes ago, harryram said:

Don't think much can be done this season as not really anyone good enough to replace Martin. But at top of target list think we need a hard working CF that will chase everything. Martin is just too lazy

I personally think your opinion is quite lazy. Perhaps you should do some proper analysis.

martin played his best game in twelve matches but still well off the pace must now be rested no one should be given a place on past glories if you are off form for as long as that you should  make way for someone else its only fair to the team cant see what use he is if he aint scorin

Martin has become a non existent player. We keep trotting him out we may as well play a man short. Even his biggest fans admit he can only play in one system - with creative runners who are there to receive his back to goal flicks - clement or Wassall can't seem to give him that. So unless we get that around him he needs dropping. Plus we are really bored watching his flopping about complaining at refs and flapping at teammates. 

And weimann and Russell aren't the answer up there - best bet is prob to pair Blackman and bent. 

2 hours ago, harryram said:

Don't think much can be done this season as not really anyone good enough to replace Martin. But at top of target list think we need a hard working CF that will chase everything. Martin is just too lazy

Recall Conor Sammon then, is basically what you're saying? 

Thought CM was one of the few who improve their display over recent weeks. 

Mostly because we had players in and around him. Watch the MKD highlights. 2 or 3 times Martin held the ball up well before laying it off to Bryson, Hendrick, the latter having a decent shot saved as a result.

Still maintain that Bryson and Hendrick can't play together - too similar. That said, thought we were worse with Butterfield/without Bryson*.

*delete as applicable

2 hours ago, barnsley ram said:

martin played his best game in twelve matches but still well off the pace must now be rested no one should be given a place on past glories if you are off form for as long as that you should  make way for someone else its only fair to the team cant see what use he is if he aint scorin

Maybe the question should be why are we not creating chances for Martin to score from? The only person creating chances that we have scored from is Martin for others. 

13 minutes ago, bcnram said:

Maybe the question should be why are we not creating chances for Martin to score from? The only person creating chances that we have scored from is Martin for others. 

I would wager that training this week will be highly focussed on playing to our strengths instead of developing a continental possession-based game.

21 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I would wager that training this week will be highly focussed on playing to our strengths instead of developing a continental possession-based game.

And I would be delighted not to take that bet as I think (hope) you are right. Just a simple high intensity game of when we have got the ball how do we create chances to score, and when we don't have it, how do we get it back without the opposition scoring. Both scenarios mean hard work.

In CM's defence part of the problem is that his style is so well known by the opposition and by the match officials that he cannot play his type of game anymore. We have had so much faith with him and his game that we haven't tried the plan B option, yet we purchased the option with Blackman nevertheless.  

It may be time to shake things up a bit because almost everyone in this division knows how to defend against Derby. Possibly an Ince-Blackman combination, or Russell-Blackman may work in a 4-4-2 or 4-1-3-2.

Makes me almost cry to think that Bournemouth are quite rightly being lauded as the most hard working team in the Premier League and who also play lovely fluid possession football. When we drew 2-2 at their place last season it was a great fairly even game but my goodness we more than matched them in a great game. Hats off to McLaren for that.

4 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Makes me almost cry to think that Bournemouth are quite rightly being lauded as the most hard working team in the Premier League and who also play lovely fluid possession football. When we drew 2-2 at their place last season it was a great fairly even game but my goodness we more than matched them in a great game. Hats off to McLaren for that.

thats the last really good performance I recall under Mac. And both Bent and ince played well as it was in that game that Chris Martin got injured early doors. Also Bucko reprised his Wembley moment "it's alright lads, i'm on it, i'll see it out for a goal kick no problem - s*** where did he come from?"

Cannot believe some of the posts on here.

We build a team around Chris Martin because it works. Look at the last two seasons. You don't score fifty odd goals in a purple patch.

We had someone of the type many on here are crying out for, someone who ran about loads. His name is Connor Sammon, and he's currently off on loan somewhere, at about his twentieth team, never to be seen again.

I think it sums up the problem with English football to be honest,  supporters wanting players to run themselves into the ground and claiming those that are more technically able, but don't do a headless chicken act as lazy.

19 minutes ago, ITSD said:

Cannot believe some of the posts on here.

We build a team around Chris Martin because it works. Look at the last two seasons. You don't score fifty odd goals in a purple patch.

We had someone of the type many on here are crying out for, someone who ran about loads. His name is Connor Sammon, and he's currently off on loan somewhere, at about his twentieth team, never to be seen again.

I think it sums up the problem with English football to be honest,  supporters wanting players to run themselves into the ground and claiming those that are more technically able, but don't do a headless chicken act as lazy.

Bob on

All Chris Martin needs is some decent ruddy service, players linking up with him, that requires a system, set up call it what you like that served so well for going forward under Mclaren for almost 2 seasons.

It ain't rocket science.

Archived