The Chris Martin dilemma

Sexydadbod

Surely people can't be happy with how he has performed for the majority of the season? Got to feel for Bent and Weimann(as a striker). It's not healthy for team morale that he has been favouritised. I find it really strange how people want us to build the team around a player who hasn't scored a goal in open play for 3-4 months. Yes he has scored 20+ goals over the last few seasons but I feel a spell on the bench for the foreseeable will be beneficial for  both him and the team.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, McLovin said:

Surely people can't be happy with how he has performed for the majority of the season? Got to feel for Bent and Weimann(as a striker). It's not healthy for team morale that he has been favouritised. I find it really strange how people want us to build the team around a player who hasn't scored a goal in open play for 3-4 months. Yes he has scored 20+ goals over the last few seasons but I feel a spell on the bench for the foreseeable will be beneficial for for both him and the team.

Favouritised despite his lack of goalshots, you're right, he should probably hang up his cleats.

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I would suggest that the philosophy will change to play to the strengths of the personnel so either Martin will be dropped, or the game will change to maximise his potential.

I think that was Arthur Cox's view on Nick Pickering. 

Nothing wrong with the England team scouting and selections back then.

Martins strength is not goal scoring, it's creating chances for team mates, Thorne and Bryson both scored from Martin set ups.

Chris as gone through a purple patch across the last two seasons thanks to the style of play favoured by McClaren, and it's no surprise that it has faultered with the change of formation and tactics inmplimented by Clement.

Hopefully Wassel / new manager will turn it around, but the biggest problem now is lack of confidence throughout the team.

Strikers are paid to score goals and yes he has had a hand in the last four but we are not scoring enough from other areas to make up for his lack of goals or created enough clear chances either.

As I have said in other threads the reason Bent is offside is because the ball is not being delivered early enough to him due to lack of vision from others.

Try taking your eyes of the ball for a few minutes and watch his movement off the shoulder of defenders and see how often he would be in on goal with quick delivery.

The movement also creates space for others (see the Bristol game) Ince's movement also is very good and is another who would benefit from quicker delivery.

52 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Surely people can't be happy with how he has performed for the majority of the season? Got to feel for Bent and Weimann(as a striker). It's not healthy for team morale that he has been favouritised. I find it really strange how people want us to build the team around a player who hasn't scored a goal in open play for 3-4 months. Yes he has scored 20+ goals over the last few seasons but I feel a spell on the bench for the foreseeable will be beneficial for  both him and the team.

I think you mean favoured. Favouritised is an IT slang term for adding something to your favourites. ( Sorry McL, once an English master.........)

Blackman had/has to pay alongside Martin .

Whether he was told to do so or not,  on Saturday Russell drifted around and offered very little support to Martin, who once again became completely isolated.

Blackman was reportedly tearing championship defences apart on a weekly basis before we signed him. If he was up front,  with his pace and Martin's deftness of touch and support surely we would fare better than the disappointing (or pleasing to some) performance from Saturday. 

Id play:

Carson

Christie keogh  shackell olsson

Johnson (thorne when fit obviously)

Hendrick butterfield bryson

Martin blackman

Thoughts?

Regardless of his faults Weimann is not a footballer let alone a striker. Defo one for the exit in the summer.

Bent is over the hill as he has lost his half-a-yard and we havent the players to play to his strengths.

Blackman jury still out.

Russell not a striker. Another to go.

On this basis if we are to continue with 2 up top it has to be CM and Incey.

Archived