Who next?

Sparkle

6 minutes ago, irobinson said:

Dear Sir,

Re; Application

Thank-you for you interest in Derby County

We will keep your CV on file and see what happens Saturday.

We may be back to you at short notice

Regards

Mel

PS a tip if you get an interview - read up on the Derby Way

Sounds like you're in there mate

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I'll give you a clue.

The Derby Way would have involved Clement getting grass stains on his knees, elbows and forehead for big Mel's  gratification.

Probably just on his knees.

It's been done to death but flick knows what was going on with Clement. Maybe Clement won't do jack but I've a horrible feeling we may become an absolute laughing stock with Clement demonstrating exactly what he can do, big time, and I don't mean fuddling around in the Championship. Hopefully, I'm wrong. I can't stand another Billy Davies moment.

32 minutes ago, ColchesterRam said:

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but I think Jokanovic would suit us down to ground. He done wonders with Watford. Might be a bit expensive prizing him away from Fulham but I think I'd be worth it.

The same Jokanovic that cant buy a win at fulham since he joined?

14 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Ssn saying we've dismissed 30 approaches? 

I can't think of as many out of work managers but I do hope we're not burning any bridges in case wassall doesn't work out. 

Pugh, Pugh, Barney Mcgrew, Culbert, Dibble and Grubb.........................

40 minutes ago, Rams1884 said:

The same Jokanovic that cant buy a win at fulham since he joined?

I'm not surprised he hasn't got a win he inherited a poor team which was bang out off form at the time. At Watford he inherited a good team, a team with gifted individuals like ourselves and look where they are now.

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I'll give you a clue.

The Derby Way would have involved Clement getting grass stains on his knees, elbows and forehead for big Mel's  gratification.

Your jealousy has been noted.

2 hours ago, scarboroughwa said:

It's been done to death but flick knows what was going on with Clement. Maybe Clement won't do jack but I've a horrible feeling we may become an absolute laughing stock with Clement demonstrating exactly what he can do, big time, and I don't mean fuddling around in the Championship. Hopefully, I'm wrong. I can't stand another Billy Davies moment.

Best of luck to him... I'm sure he'll do well...

I actually think Valencia might want to give old G-Nev the boot and bring Clement in... Think the way he wants to play football will work much better in Spain than it does in the Championship...

24 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Best of luck to him... I'm sure he'll do well...

I actually think Valencia might want to give old G-Nev the boot and bring Clement in... Think the way he wants to play football will work much better in Spain than it does in the Championship...

I would take Neville here.

On 8 February 2016 at 05:57, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Brendan Rodgers, his style of play suits our style of play over the previous few seasons. 

On 8 February 2016 at 05:57, GboroRam said:

Mourhino 

On 8 February 2016 at 05:58, Inglorius said:

You forgot to mention the pull of having a boss who doesn't tolerate failure or you're through the trapdoor, that would put a lot of would be suitors off

If Jose was more introspective, you'd think he might be tempted by the idea of doing something historic. After all, how much respect will Ranieri NEVER lose after this season?....no matter where Fester finish.

But I don't see Mourinho as the sort of bloke who would risk such a move especially when United are hanging around. Unfortunately. Wants titles, not the hard work I suspect.

I must admit I hadn't thought of Rodgers. I'd love him but I couldn't see him coming unless we get promoted. I'd think he'd slum it in the Championship only until the end of the season...not for an entire season if we miss out this year.

As for Rowett, he has done incredibly well on the Titanic but, if we punt on him, it strikes me as a step down on ambition after McClaren and Clement (for his promise). (Even Nigel could be spun into a vision of ambition...if you just focused on his surname; don't attack me for that..I know his appointment was purely a ploy to use his name to buy time to stop the club haemorrhaging).

Rowett is a step back to the treadmill of coaches so I suspect the pundits might be wrong on him. This Board has shown a tendency or ambition to upgrade the manager.

To wit, I do wonder why so many dismiss Moyes so readily. He may not be the most inspiring but his record at Everton showed how strong a manager he is...and he did stay at Everton longer term...and got burned by finally jumping to a big club.

He seems to fit Mel's model for mine. However, if that WAS the plan, I can't see why you'd wait until June? Attitudinally, I suspect Mel might prefer a big name...as an Australian, I think of Guus Hiddink. Tied up until the end of the year with no apparent intention of signing on with Chelsea.

Guus loves a challenge...and 'historic' achievements (South Korea and Australia to the World Cup semis and quarters respectively)....although he tends to not stay in roles for long. I am not suggesting Guus per se...for starters, it has been a while since he had success at club level. He must be nudging 70 too, I'd think.

But, in trying to think like Mel, I imagine someone LIKE Hiddink - possibly with an upcoming young manager with a Derby pedigree assisting with the intention to take over in 2-3 years time - would be the sort of idea which Mel might entertain.

Trying to think like Mel.

A younger manager, track record of success, plays entertaining football, ambitious, yet not in such a hurry to either make, or repair his own reputation that his orbit is out of sync with ours.

A proven ability to bring young players through, yet pragmatic enough to sell them when the price is right.

Ability to handle the media, and possibly has outgrown his current position and is looking for the next stage in his career?

Maybe we'll see him tomorrow, could be either dugout too!

7 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Trying to think like Mel.

A younger manager, track record of success, plays entertaining football, ambitious, yet not in such a hurry to either make, or repair his own reputation that his orbit is out of sync with ours.

A proven ability to bring young players through, yet pragmatic enough to sell them when the price is right.

Ability to handle the media, and possibly has outgrown his current position and is looking for the next stage in his career?

Maybe we'll see him tomorrow, could be either dugout too!

That Karl Robinson is one of the more articulate managers around and plays a decent brand of football. 

20 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Has the idea of a senior manager with an upcoming assistant who takes over in a couple of years time ever actually been successful anywhere?

I'm an Australian and it is all the rage here both in AFL and in the A-league. Seems to work most of the time.

It was also done in the NFL.

But soccer/football? I can't immediately think of too many times it has been tried. Giggs at United allegedly. I doubt Clough ever entertained the thought of Mackay taking over from him.

To be fair, it really probably can't work under the Manager model. But it could be more logical with the trend towards Head Coaches.

Archived