Have we improved this window?

Chris Mills

Obviously the jury is still out as we haven't seen enough games with them all in the team, but going off our previous squad players and past successes of the players, in your opinion:

Have we improved our squad?

Have we improved our starting 11?

Have we missed a trick and if so what player would have improved us?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've probably improved the youth set up with the young signings

First team wise we needed attacking options & we've signed two but so far they've not really looked the part however its too early to tell how they will do or fit into the system, a bit more times needed to judge properly. Although Id have prefered to spend the cash on an out and out striker and maybe a commanding centre back 

do we not have a crack team of analysts who have collected many many statistics witch prove............

Yeah, I've not been excited and as form has dropped like a stone, it's not looked like a greeat window.

I'm sure i remember a point under Mac where it was stated that we weren't going to stockpile championship level players....

I think we have to hope that Middlesboro have signed players that will take time to bed in, but I seriously doubt it.

Hull, have players coming back from injury, which will be like new signings for them, only they'll be known quantities within their system.

i haven't really seen enough of our new players to really say how effective I expect them to be TBH, but Olsson is decent and fills an obvious deficiency that we have at left back. Blackman, looked OK against Man Utd, but it's early days. Camara, no idea. 

Taking aside the unknown factor around Blackman and Camara, I'd say that I think we'll struggle to overhaul Boro and Hull now. Playoffs looks to be between Burnley, us, Brighton, Sheff Wed and Birmingham. I think at least two of those have strengthened quite well in this window. I'd hate to see us edged out of the playoffs, but it wouldn't 100% surprise me at this point. 

Olsson fills a gap that was there, so is a good signing in theory. I'd maybe rather we had a loan until the end of the season to give Max Lowe an opportunity as back up next season but I have no idea what was on the market, so whilst we've not seen him yet I'd give it a plus just about.

Camara looks an odd one really, he looks like he likes to get down the line and cross the ball but there's never anyone in the box to cross to. Seems like he'd be useful if there was so I don't want to criticise him as a player but seems an odd signing.

Blackman. Is he a winger? Is he a striker? From what we've seen I don't think he's better than Ince, or Martin, and for £2.5m I'd want a starter. Maybe I'm living about 5 years ago though and that money doesn't really give you any guarantees anymore.

Getting rid of Pearce and Shotton gethis what I'd imagine is two sizeable wages off the books for two players that don't do anything. Buxton is better than them both so we're fine for back up and it'll be nice to have Rawson back next season if we can sell them.

Overall I'd say we've left this window with a pretty unbalanced squad with players that don't fit the best way of playing, pretty much the same way we started it.

Definitely improved the squad ! How could we not have done , Shotton,  Dawkins,  roos and Pearce have not given us anything this season!  We've bought one of the top scorers in the league in , who many seem to have written off in his 4 games!  And bought in Camara who was always going to take a few good months to settle ! Totally different for him not just in footballing terms but his whole life ! Looks promising though ! I don't think we've panic bought either 'because we can " !

Blackman I can see the thinking behind, much cheaper than has been reported, certainly nowhere near 2.5m, will get the chance to prove himself.

Camara, looks the classic bet to nothing, could be great but I wouldn't be suprised if he ends up out on loan next summer.

26 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

I don't even know who we've signed so far. Is it just blackman and camara? 

Who left?  Just Shotton? 

Alex Pearce at Bristol City on loan 

we also signed Olsson from Blackburn 

Keep it up. 

Before the window opened the 3 areas most said we needed to improve on were a fast winger, a striker who is quick and an attacking left back.

So we brought in Camara-fast winger, Blackman-quick striker and Olsson-attacking left back. On paper we have bought well, but we have to see how they settle into the team.

The outgoings, Pearce amd Shotton, I can see letting 1 of them go being beneficial but both, not sure. I guess with Rawson having a recall clause means that if we do lose Keogh, Shacks or Bucko then he will be straight home. Dawkins, yep good move for all. Roos and other youth loans good for the players to go out and get some first team game time.

All in all I think the window we have done pretty much what we expected, maybe retained 1 or 2 we expected to leave. Whether we have the right players remains to be seen.

I still find it amazing that some have been calling for the type of players we have bought then moan at buying more players and having a too big squad.

I'd give us a 2/10 for that window.

We spent about £5m and weakened our first-team XI by persisting with Blackman. Well done recruitment team, once again really on the ball and doing a cracking job.

They're so incompetent I'd actually question whether they're not Forest fans on a mission.

Archived