What's all this playing beyond Martin stuff . Explain please .

Curtains

13 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

...... and you are telling me this because....? 

2nd half we opened the game up and got runners past Martin but lost it by 2-0. 

1st half we held them relatively easy. 

Clement said as much in his after match interview with Owen Bradley on Radio Derby .

Something  to the effect it's not as easy as it sounds against teams like Man U as you open yourself up to them blowing you away. 

Just found this 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35446812

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Clement frustrated me after the game on Friday, said something along the lines of not knowing what Thorne was doing in that position to score. 

No Paul, you should be praising him for having the tactical nous to know that that was a pretty safe time for him to make that run. And then you should tell Bradley Johnson to watch it back on repeat and learn how to do it himself.

I desperately want Clement to succeed and he's done so many good things for this team but it's comments like that that set alarm bells ringing in my head. 

I thought this  Clement interview after the game with Owen Bradley of RD was spot on 

at the moment its far too easy for two centre backs to defend against chris martin when he is isolated if ince etc are running on and closer to martin it give the opposition defenders something extra to think about. Attack the ball and martin or follow the runner? A couple of runners makes it more difficult 

3 hours ago, curtains said:

The Thorne goal .

Martin did his job well having received the ball from a header won by Ince and clipped it into Thorne. 

Brilliant goal. 

What happens then when it breaks down as it invariably does .

i will tell you the opposition counter attack and do us on the break  and that's the dilemma against good teams  

It doesn't always work .

So you hated the Schteve run a couple of years ago then? We did it every game and every attack.

The Schteve run was fantastic far more entertaining you score three we'll score four. Or we'll just score four we attacked with pace just ashame at the end when the wheels came off. A mix of clement & schteve would be perfect. Steves all out attack but then clements ability to sort the back four and have a plan B 

Not sure why anyone would moan about this thread as its one of the most interesting ones. I just hope PC and KP are thinking hard about this too and making up a plan: either go with the Martin hold up runners flick approach modify it or ditch it and try a bold new formation where Brad Johnson Ince Blackman and perhaps even Bent can play in positions they are most adept in. 

1 hour ago, curtains said:

2nd half we opened the game up and got runners past Martin but lost it by 2-0. 

1st half we held them relatively easy. 

Clement said as much in his after match interview with Owen Bradley on Radio Derby .

Something  to the effect it's not as easy as it sounds against teams like Man U as you open yourself up to them blowing you away. 

Just found this 

The impliction here is that we lost because we got runners past Martin and left ourselves exposed, am I right?

I don't see it that way, we lost the second half 2-0 due to an offside goal (even if it was only just offside).

Blind's goal was a combination of lack of cover to help Warnock, because Blackman was taken off, and Shackell and Keogh allowing Blind to ghost between them. Wasn't the first time in the evening that Shackell and Keogh switched off. 

Not just about getting on the end of Martin's touches.

It gives him more space when defenders drop off to deal with the players going past him.

That's how he gets goals himself. He's not mobile enough to lose most defenders

9 minutes ago, Alpha said:

And also to add. When we were supporting Martin, pushing defenders off him and we were slightly exposed on occasion, people were picking apart every goal conceded.

That only really happened when the goals dried up - when Martin and Bucko got injured. Not to mention Eustace and Mascarell being injured. With Thorne finally being fit, I doubt it would become as much of a problem as it was before.

The problem last season wasn't the system, it was the management teams reaction when we no longer had the players to make it work.

It isn't difficult for oppo defences to spend more time marking Martin more tightly when no Bugger is making a run off him.

Seriously, Thorne shouldn't even be the one doing it. Johnson and Butters are not those type of players. Ince and whoever are too far away.

At the moment we're just too easy, too predictable.

Ask any defender what they are scared off - they will tell you two things; 1) pace and 2) players getting in behind them. Now tell me two things we are not doing very well at currently.

Too defend against Derby, two lines of four, attackers drop back to half way line, no will get in behind them. 

Look at our recent goals, Thorne aside (which shows what can happen), we don't score traditional strikers goals that often. Ince second at Leeds, but how many other goals in the past month have come from getting behind the defence?

4 hours ago, TimRam said:

Why doesn't Martin try running at a defender, beating him then trying a shot....like most strikers do?

I really don't get these comments, go back to the management of Brian C, did he try to make John O'Hare into a sprinter or Alan Hinton into a tackling back winger? No he just concentrated on the skill the individual had and it worked a little bit I seem to remember.

I'm not sure Butterfield or Johnson are that sort of midfielder, to run beyond the CF. I'm not even sure what Johnson is to be honest. He kills us in possession and doesn't stay in position when out of possession. I base that on his time with us, not just this poor run of form (which stretches back to Forest away). Whereas Butterfield I see more as a playmaker than a runner. He's the one to dictate play, but isn't given the ball enough for my liking. You can't knock his goal output either. And a few have come about combining with Martin. 

Hendrick is the runner. Hendrick, Butterfield and Thorne should be the three. Johnson should play wide left if at all, where he succeeded at Norwich County... 

I refuse to keep excusing Martin though, as others keep doing. One goal from open play in about 20 games. That's pathetic at any level.

People throwing Buckos name out there as well as Martin for our shanbolic ending to season last year, missing one person out.... The most important one....

2 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

People throwing Buckos name out there as well as Martin for our shanbolic ending to season last year, missing one person out.... The most important one....

who else was injured that currently isn't getting picked that played regularly before the collapse last season?

Archived