What's all this playing beyond Martin stuff . Explain please .

Curtains

our collapse last season coincided with losing both Buxton and Martin.

the combined effect of losing the hold up man and attacking pivot, coupled with the long passing to force the opponents back to give space in midfield and allow midfield runners to go and not leave us exposed in the middle had a devastating effect.

we have one if those players back but we are still not firing on all cylinders. Bring back the other one and see what happens.

Something needs changing, maybe Bucko is the change that is required. Dint forget finding a way to stop their defense pushing high will also mean their midfield drops back too and reduces the pressure on our defense.

commentary on Friday repeatedly said we needed a way to get higher up the pitch, that's been the case in too many games.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This whole take a player who can't run and can't beat anyone stand him up with his back to the defence and have everyone run off him and his pretty flicks and score is such a ridiculous idea. It may be ONE form of attacking, but it's just that ... one form, and when Martin isn't doing it and the players aren't clever enough in their runs, then we and he ain't scoring NADA. It works with Bryson and Hughes because they are geniuses of attacking movement and getting open. We need a more enlightened form of attack. Take a look at what Leicester Arsenal or Tottenham do - its not such a one dimensional view of forward play and its getting boring listening to people bang on about it. We need to get OUT of this division. 

2 minutes ago, Ninos said:

This whole take a player who can't run and can't beat anyone stand him up with his back to the defence and have everyone run off him and his pretty flicks and score is such a ridiculous idea. It may be ONE form of attacking, but it's just that ... one form, and when Martin isn't doing it and the players aren't clever enough in their runs, then we and he ain't scoring NADA. It works with Bryson and Hughes because they are geniuses of attacking movement and getting open. We need a more enlightened form of attack. Take a look at what Leicester Arsenal or Tottenham do - its not such a one dimensional view of forward play and its getting boring listening to people bang on about it. We need to get OUT of this division. 

hmmmm. We are one dimensional in our play at the moment which makes it easier to defend. I agree there, that's why I'm advocating Buxton with his passing range to give defenses something else to worry about and provide space for the Martin as an attacking pivot to work. If we start playing to wide in behind full backs, CH cant stay close to Martin because as the ball is played wide Martin runs off them and gets into the box for the cross.

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

NEW! The 2016 guide to using dcfcfans!

1. Log on to dcfcfans.uk

2. See a new thread from curtains, already 5 pages in after an hour

3. Read the thread

4. Bang head against the wall

5. Repeat point 4 until unconscious

You forgot trying to make this place more interesting by being devils advocate 

I await you opening try at a thread lol. 

Just now, curtains said:

You forgot trying to make this place more interesting by being devils advocate 

I await you opening try at a thread lol. 

I've made a few. Your style is to make a (with all respect) obvious or ridiculous point, and cause a reaction.

You do it very well to be fair to you, Daveo must love you

I've made a few. Your style is to make a (with all respect) obvious or ridiculous point, and cause a reaction.

any thread that sparks a debate so quickly isn't necessarily obvious or ridiculous. Mind you we sometimes miss the obvious until it is pointed out.

Just now, Kernow said:

I feel like billy  no mates on here most of the time. 

Guess I'm addicted to this brilliant forum. 

Sorry if I sounded  off on you m8. 

Your a good lad Kernow. 

Just now, davenportram said:

any thread that sparks a debate so quickly isn't necessarily obvious or ridiculous. Mind you we sometimes miss the obvious until it is pointed out.

Maybe not this thread in particular, but saying that we shouldn't have runners beyond Martin because we will concede, that's quite a silly comment

Just now, curtains said:

I feel like billy  no mates on here most of the time. 

Guess I'm addicted to this brilliant forum. 

Sorry if I sounded  off on you m8. 

Your a good lad Kernow. 

I wouldn't call anyone a "billy no mates" on here. I don't necessarily agree with much of what you say but that's not to affect any opinions of you personally, just differing views on football.

3 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Maybe not this thread in particular, but saying that we shouldn't have runners beyond Martin because we will concede, that's quite a silly comment

Too many and who and how  I meant. 

Maybe it didn't come across right but my point is Clement has reasons for how we play .

Dont forget the players have to execute a plan and tactics. 

Looking forward to Preston now Tuesday. 

that's where me and you differ, I picked up on the explain what is meant by the method and elaborate to give reasons why it may not be happening and what we could do to get it working again without conceding. Rather than look for something to comment on without adding to the discussion.

I actually prefer the possession game we play now. I think we've looked a lot more solid up until recently. The problem is that you have to convert your dominance into goals and Chris Martin can't do it when we play this way because it requires a pacy centre forward who runs his socks off and creates passing options and chances. If Bryson plays he won't transform the way we play single handedly. It's a system Clement obviously prefers but he hasn't addressed the big conundrum, what do you do with CM?

I was reading about a mexican midfield player called Pineda who plays for a club that ronaldinho played for, and he was asked to recall what advise ronaldinho gave him......

"He always told me that every time I received the ball in the midfield, to always go forward, never backwards. He always said to be decisive in the final third," Pineda explained while pointing at the training pitch that was in front of him. "He always told me that, and I always accepted his instructions".

good advice.

it drives me crackers when we spend 20 passes working the ball out to the wide midfield position only for that player to turn around and thump it all the way back to shackell or keogh.

we need to encourage players to be positive and brave. We won't win anything by being timid and fearful such that the only pass we can make is to our own centre half.

29 minutes ago, davenportram said:

our collapse last season coincided with losing both Buxton and Martin.

the combined effect of losing the hold up man and attacking pivot, coupled with the long passing to force the opponents back to give space in midfield and allow midfield runners to go and not leave us exposed in the middle had a devastating effect.

we have one if those players back but we are still not firing on all cylinders. Bring back the other one and see what happens.

Something needs changing, maybe Bucko is the change that is required. Dint forget finding a way to stop their defense pushing high will also mean their midfield drops back too and reduces the pressure on our defense.

commentary on Friday repeatedly said we needed a way to get higher up the pitch, that's been the case in too many games.

Think Shackell is the better at them balls than Bucko is... But get the sentiment of delivering long, worked for equaliser on Friday... Wished the long ball happened more often from Shacks, especially when pinned back

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

Explain please. 

@davenportram this is the reason why Curtains threads explode, and the fact you get an answer to a totally different point when said poster replies, and instead replies with another Q, thus the thread goes bananas.

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

@davenportram this is the reason why Curtains threads explode, and the fact you get an answer to a totally different point when said poster replies, and instead replies with another Q, thus the thread goes bananas.

But he said I had been in a coma for 2 years so I asked him to explain please. 

Why you appealing to a moderator if you want me banned just say so. 

Archived