should we go 4-4-2?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been thinking this for a while as well. Carson; Christie, Keogh, Shackell, Warnock; Hendrick, Butterfield, Johnson, Camara; Martin, Blackman. Unfortunately the time to change things was a few games ago. Now we've started to see signs of recovery so need to stick with 4-3-3 rather than confusing the players more. 

3 minutes ago, r_wilcockson said:

I've been thinking this for a while as well. Carson; Christie, Keogh, Shackell, Warnock; Hendrick, Butterfield, Johnson, Camara; Martin, Blackman. Unfortunately the time to change things was a few games ago. Now we've started to see signs of recovery so need to stick with 4-3-3 rather than confusing the players more. 

No Thorne?

We need to try something new IMO. Whether we have the players to make 442 work though, I'm not so sure. If we spent wisely and had someone like McCormack up top with Martin it could've worked. Leicester and Watford aren't doing too bad with it are they. The best we have played lately was against Bristol with Ince in behind, fans seem afraid of change though even though the 433 isn't working for us they still don't want change, strange!

I think we do 

Posted this in another thread, ince up top with martin to bridge the gap playing the number 10 role just behind then running on to flicks. Blackman (although not seen it) & wiemann are like for like subs for ince if he is off his game

Against the lesser teams & at home we have wingers in russell & camara etc that can get forward. Then a choice of butters hendrick or thorne as the middle two. Against the better sides that might have decent wingers & are an attacking threat johnson or olsen can fill in at the LM & RM positions respectively to help our wing backs and keep possession with warnock & christie bombing on

We have a decent side we have just hit a sticky patch and i think we are not playing players in the positions to maximise their potential at times. Against the likes of Preston st home do we really need to be playing thorn as a DM when he would be better 10-20 yards further up the pitch 

Carson

christie Keogh Shackell ollson

Hanson Thorne

Butterfield  

ince       Blackman    Johnson 

Two defensive midfielders who know how to pick out a pass, Johnson further forward on the left (was lethal for Norwich in the role) and Blackman in his natural position down the middle w/ Butterfield close behind.

If Chris Martin is playing then we must have midfielders running into the box whenever the ball goes near him.

Study George's wonderful goal. Martin won the header and then played a delightful ball that Thorne didn't have to break stride for.....if no one was running onto that Martin would have had no where to go, maybe lay it off wide at best.

Play to Chris's strengths and we'll go up.

I have a suspicion that Clement would like to play 2 up top somehow but he's not sure how to make it work with our squad.

For example, Thorne as CDM is great, but could he be a 4-4-2 center mid? Or martin 2 up, ever?

Doing a 4 man midfield I'd go something like:

Ince Butterfield Thorne Johnson

Blackman  Martin

There's Bryson and Hendrick to come in middle and Razza, Russell on the flanks. Weimann too.

Hendrick can play right if needed, Johnson can play central if needed, Russell, Weimann and Bent if he's still alive can go up front. I know Russell played central last season, but that was as a replacement for Martin and not as one of a front 2.

Or...the dreaded Diamond now he has Olsson and Christie who like a venture forwards?

1 hour ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

I know there is always a case of wanting to change things round but with the players at our disposal we must put round pegs in round holes.

i would go ince, thorne, butters, jeff with martin and blackman up top. We then have johnson, bryso and camara who can replace like for like.

round pegs in round holes and suggesting Hendrick plays on the wing in the same post is quite possibly the most contradictory thing I've ever read. 

There should be a time and a place for a 4-4-2 which can be positive but with our current way of playing 4-3-3 (midfielders not pushing on) we are playing and hoping to Nick a goal and see the game out which can work if the other team are poor and don't do their jobs but highly unlikely against the better sides.

i thought we had a Huge chance to have a real go at Man U as we used to from midfield but the side picked with the lets sit back attitude stopped that stone dead. It was a case of let's wait until they work a good chance and put it away.

32 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I have a suspicion that Clement would like to play 2 up top somehow but he's not sure how to make it work with our squad.

For example, Thorne as CDM is great, but could he be a 4-4-2 center mid? Or martin 2 up, ever?

Doing a 4 man midfield I'd go something like:

Ince Butterfield Thorne Johnson

Blackman  Martin

There's Bryson and Hendrick to come in middle and Razza, Russell on the flanks. Weimann too.

Hendrick can play right if needed, Johnson can play central if needed, Russell, Weimann and Bent if he's still alive can go up front. I know Russell played central last season, but that was as a replacement for Martin and not as one of a front 2.

Or...the dreaded Diamond now he has Olsson and Christie who like a venture forwards?

Looked like we could play that against Brum away, even if it was more like 4-3-2 with Baird at CM (don't mind him at RB but not CM) :lol:

54 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

There should be a time and a place for a 4-4-2 which can be positive but with our current way of playing 4-3-3 (midfielders not pushing on) we are playing and hoping to Nick a goal and see the game out which can work if the other team are poor and don't do their jobs but highly unlikely against the better sides.

i thought we had a Huge chance to have a real go at Man U as we used to from midfield but the side picked with the lets sit back attitude stopped that stone dead. It was a case of let's wait until they work a good chance and put it away.

Our midfield 3 just got overrun by their 5.

Archived