I never realised just how lucky I am!

richinspain

I never realised just how lucky I am. I've been living in Spain now for very nearly 18 years and even though I obviously miss family and friends it's at 3 o'clock on a Saturday ( or 12 o'clock, or a Friday evening or Sunday afternoon, or Monday......... you know what i mean) when I realllllly miss being back home. I still get a knot in my stomach when kickoff time is approaching. I still sit rocking backwards and forwards as I suffer the radio Derby commentary. I still want to kick the dog (haven't got one and never had one, but you know what I mean) when we lose. I read the web site 3 or 4 times a day. I read the BBC Derby web site at least twice a day, and the DET website at least once a day. I come on this forum probably 20 times a day, trying to catch every little snippet of news I can. Basically I'm a right sad ******.

So why am I lucky? I don't get to encounter at first hand what have to be some of the worst "supporters" in England. When we were top of the league a few weeks ago some weren't happy. We weren't winning 6-0. We weren't playing flowing football. Then we drew a difficult game away at Leeds and lost at Boro, Get the knives out. Find the scapegoat. A draw and a defeat at home and the witch hunt is really on. Get the ducking stool set up! And now we've lost 4-1, away, at Burnley! Yes, Burnley! That poor little team that was relagated from the Premier last season and have only been able to spend 9 million on a centre forward. That really is it. Set up the Gallow's pole. Call out the Klu Klux Klan, they're the hanging experts. First up Richard Keogh. He was our POTY up until Christmas but by God he's rubbish now. Jason Shackell as well. Mr Composure, no way. And as for that Thorne Fella....... And that Johnson. Our record signing you know. But the worst of the worst. The absolute pits. Mr Paul Clement. He hasn't got a clue about coaching, or man management, or what his best team is....... Even Mel Morris is getting his share. You remember him? Mel Morris, what a guy!

I used to love match day. Get down to the BBG and support my team. Yes, support. 1983-84 season. We couldn't beat an egg! But there were 10 to 13 thousand of us there week in week out. Supporting. God we were bad that season. Even worse than the 4 or 5 previous seasons, and they were bad. But the ground was a cauldron of noise. Proper football noise. Cheering, shouting and singing. Not boos. Yes there was some discontent. But first and foremost we went to support the team. For 90 minutes.

So what has changed in these years? I don't know. Maybe it's the all seater stadiums. They're not condusive to the atmosphere we had on the Popside. Pêrhaps the cost of football means that a normal working class family can't afford for dad and 2 or 3 sons to go every other week and so the "class" of supporter is changing. There must hundreds, or maybe no particular reason for it. But nobody seems to "support" Derby anymore. The photos on the "Best day of my life" thread brought a lump to my throat. Truly great days. They made the difficult years bearable. And the difficult years made the success sweeter. And through it all, the support. Real support.How glad I am, and truly truly lucky, to have been a supporter back then. I'm just a sad ****** now in front of my computer. Hoping to read something good about Derby Count Football Club. The club with the most knowledgable fans in England. I didn't say that, a certain Brian Clough did. And Dave Mackay backed him up. They must both be turning in their graves now. Not at how the team are playing. Not at the "crisis" they are going through. They would be thinking that perhaps they didn't know anything about football after all, or at least about Derby supporters. At Derby they don't support, they go to boo, to find scapegoats, to insult their own players or their wives.

I'm going now. I'm going to look at that "best day of my life" thread again. That's what being a Derby supporter is really about. And I'm one of those!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I never realised just how lucky I am. I've been living in Spain now for very nearly 18 years and even though I obviously miss family and friends it's at 3 o'clock on a Saturday ( or 12 o'clock, or a Friday evening or Sunday afternoon, or Monday......... you know what i mean) when I realllllly miss being back home. I still get a knot in my stomach when kickoff time is approaching. I still sit rocking backwards and forwards as I suffer the radio Derby commentary. I still want to kick the dog (haven't got one and never had one, but you know what I mean) when we lose. I read the web site 3 or 4 times a day. I read the BBC Derby web site at least twice a day, and the DET website at least once a day. I come on this forum probably 20 times a day, trying to catch every little snippet of news I can. Basically I'm a right sad ******.

So why am I lucky? I don't get to encounter at first hand what have to be some of the worst "supporters" in England. When we were top of the league a few weeks ago some weren't happy. We weren't winning 6-0. We weren't playing flowing football. Then we drew a difficult game away at Leeds and lost at Boro, Get the knives out. Find the scapegoat. A draw and a defeat at home and the witch hunt is really on. Get the ducking stool set up! And now we've lost 4-1, away, at Burnley! Yes, Burnley! That poor little team that was relagated from the Premier last season and have only been able to spend 9 million on a centre forward. That really is it. Set up the Gallow's pole. Call out the Klu Klux Klan, they're the hanging experts. First up Richard Keogh. He was our POTY up until Christmas but by God he's rubbish now. Jason Shackell as well. Mr Composure, no way. And as for that Thorne Fella....... And that Johnson. Our record signing you know. But the worst of the worst. The absolute pits. Mr Paul Clement. He hasn't got a clue about coaching, or man management, or what his best team is....... Even Mel Morris is getting his share. You remember him? Mel Morris, what a guy!

I used to love match day. Get down to the BBG and support my team. Yes, support. 1983-84 season. We couldn't beat an egg! But there were 10 to 13 thousand of us there week in week out. Supporting. God we were bad that season. Even worse than the 4 or 5 previous seasons, and they were bad. But the ground was a cauldron of noise. Proper football noise. Cheering, shouting and singing. Not boos. Yes there was some discontent. But first and foremost we went to support the team. For 90 minutes.

So what has changed in these years? I don't know. Maybe it's the all seater stadiums. They're not condusive to the atmosphere we had on the Popside. Pêrhaps the cost of football means that a normal working class family can't afford for dad and 2 or 3 sons to go every other week and so the "class" of supporter is changing. There must hundreds, or maybe no particular reason for it. But nobody seems to "support" Derby anymore. The photos on the "Best day of my life" thread brought a lump to my throat. Truly great days. They made the difficult years bearable. And the difficult years made the success sweeter. And through it all, the support. Real support.How glad I am, and truly truly lucky, to have been a supporter back then. I'm just a sad ****** now in front of my computer. Hoping to read something good about Derby Count Football Club. The club with the most knowledgable fans in England. I didn't say that, a certain Brian Clough did. And Dave Mackay backed him up. They must both be turning in their graves now. Not at how the team are playing. Not at the "crisis" they are going through. They would be thinking that perhaps they didn't know anything about football after all, or at least about Derby supporters. At Derby they don't support, they go to boo, to find scapegoats, to insult their own players or their wives.

I'm going now. I'm going to look at that "best day of my life" thread again. That's what being a Derby supporter is really about. And I'm one of those!

Quite common mistake that, it is actually Ku Klux Klan. apart from that nice post.

I think all that sun has fried your brain. If you believe the noisy minority that post excessively negative comments on message boards truly represents the majority then, I believe, you're mistaken. I also think you probably have a rather distorted memory. I've been supporting Derby since the 70's and it hasn't always been quite as thrilling as you describe. I bet if we'd had t'internet back in those days you would have seem the same range of views expressed.

Also, i'm sick and tired of this "worst supporters". I'd be stunned if you didn't see the same level of discontent at most other clubs from time to time.

Can I suggest you get off your high horse and back on your sun lounger (yes, OK, I'm envious). Also, if it's going to upset you, stop reading message boards as often as you do.

23 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Great post richinspain

4 minutes ago, richinspain said:

You're right. Sorry. I was getting a bit carried away at the time.

I'm sure I heard a fair few booos in the 83/84 season. Now that was awful. 

I think with the money spent has raised peoples expectations also our form up to Christmas has doubled it. Now a not so good run and it's wtf is happening. I think all that and memories of the last two seasons has everyone on edge. 

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I think all that sun has fried your brain. If you believe the noisy minority that post excessively negative comments on message boards truly represents the majority then, I believe, you're mistaken. I also think you probably have a rather distorted memory. I've been supporting Derby since the 70's and it hasn't always been quite as thrilling as you describe. I bet if we'd had t'internet back in those days you would have seem the same range of views expressed.

Also, i'm sick and tired of this "worst supporters". I'd be stunned if you didn't see the same level of discontent at most other clubs from time to time.

Can I suggest you get off your high horse and back on your sun lounger (yes, OK, I'm envious). Also, if it's going to upset you, stop reading message boards as often as you do.

You're right. I probably do only remember the good bits, and I'm sure that every other team (and I do mean every other team) has the same sort of problems. As far as getting upset and not reading message boards goes, yes i know. I don't have to read them, or I can put certain people on ignore. But I really do love to read the forum, happy clappers and wrist slashers and all. It just seems to me that some, and they are probably the noisy minority rather than the silent majority, really should try to chill out a bit, enjoy supporting the team and be grateful that they follow the best team in the world. Internet is great and horrendous at the same time. Everybody can make their voice heard to an awful lot of people. Probably the sound didn't carry quite as well on the Popside :D

Great post. I think the cause of people's sudden change of heart is the events of the past two seasons as said before. It is always in the back of all our minds, mine included, that we are capable of falling apart gloriously. However, I support Derby through thick and thin. I don't go to the football to watch us demolish a team 6-0 (although it's a bonus). I go for a genuine love that I have for my only Derby but also football. 

No amount of defeats will ever take that away from me. 

I'll never boo and always give the team my full support at all times, but everyone has a different experience and goes to football for different reasons so if they want to see us in the premier league more than just wanting to see US then that is fair and who am I or anyone else to tell them how to support their team. 

I have supported this team since 1966 so plenty of ups and downs..but the team is still a massive part of my life..that will never change..you are born a Derby fan you will die a Derby fan..its the most passion you will feel with your clothes on..

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Good post Tamworth.

@richinspain Tamworth's raite mate, its not all doom and gloom. I was there back in 83 and if there had been internet then i'm sure it would be the same. Plus, those of us still going during those dark times were beyond booing - we'd gone from the best team in the country to the third division in 8 years:(

I'm at the back of the South Stand now and immune from the booing - we just don't hear it up there as we are constantly singing and trying to get the bearded hipsters to join in:ph34r:.....there's plenty of old Posiders and even  a few dodgy Ossie Enders up there as well.

It must be frustrating for you reading the usual whinging on the net but its really no different than us lot back in the day getting to the pub after a drubbing and moaning like **** to each other over a few pints.

#KTF

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Good post Tamworth.

@richinspain Tamworth's raite mate, its not all doom and gloom. I was there back in 83 and if there had been internet then i'm sure it would be the same. Plus, those of us still going during those dark times were beyond booing - we'd gone from the best team in the country to the third division in 8 years:(

I'm at the back of the South Stand now and immune from the booing - we just don't hear it up there as we are constantly singing and trying to get the bearded hipsters to join in:ph34r:.....there's plenty of old Posiders and even  a few dodgy Ossie Enders up there as well.

It must be frustrating for you reading the usual whinging on the net but its really no different than us lot back in the day getting to the pub after a drubbing and moaning like **** to each other over a few pints.

#KTF

Can`t recall many booing the RAMS on the Popside in those days and I bet anyone booing would have received a right hander !

11 hours ago, richinspain said:

So what has changed in these years? Pêrhaps the cost of football means that a normal working class family can't afford for dad and 2 or 3 sons to go every other week and so the "class" of supporter is changing. There must hundreds, or maybe no particular reason for it. But nobody seems to "support" Derby anymore.

I get the sentiment of your post, but to suggest the crowd "boo" rather than "support" because they aren't working class is, frankly, a bizarre statement.

19 minutes ago, cosmic said:

I get the sentiment of your post, but to suggest the crowd "boo" rather than "support" because they aren't working class is, frankly, a bizarre statement.

Didn't mean to imply that people boo because they're not working class, although it does look that way. What I was trying to say is that supporters have changed. They don't go to their first game walking down to the ground at 3 years old, hand in hand with their dad, to stand in the middle of thousands of people who most probably had very similar first experiences of football. I think football has become, due to tv exposure, an entertainment and not a way of life. That doesn't mean that I think the new version of supporters are plastics or anything of the kind. I just think that they've changed. And for the team's sake it's probably not for the better. Supportes seem to support when the team is doing well. That's easy. The team need support now, when they're struggling. Keep up the good work 1884Group. Maybe it'll catch on.

Archived