Derby County v Manchester United

Mafiabob

10 hours ago, Alpha said:

No name calling.

Especially when you're wrong. There's literally no sense to be drawn out of saying we had none of the ball. Statistically and with my own eyes I'm saying you're wrong. 

Did you think we'd boss the ball tonight? 

I disagree, name calling from the safety of a keyboard is the height of bravery and should be rewarded with a VC eh AndyinLiverpool? !

So if I scroll down I should find a similar warning to the poster/keyboard warrior that initially "started it Miss"

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Oxram said:

I've seen ratings as high as 8 for our full backs!? I've not watched the game back yet but when I do I'll count the number of tackles, I don't remember one. The positives are not too many fouls and no penalties, a world away from getting an 8.

Warnock was very good and made some great tackles - MOTM performance. I agree Christie shouldn't be getting an 8 though - he may as well not have been there defensively even if he was playing against a world class player in the form of Martial.

54 minutes ago, Boycie said:

We will need Christie to step up or be replaced, can't comment on the new left back yet, our Carson is ok.

shacks and Keogh will be fine.

thorne, butters, maybe Hendrick, don't forget Hughes.

we'll need a top striker, 

wings?  Hmm, maybe ince, but I really like the look of Camara.

like you say, we'll be there no matter.

but we do have the means to at least compete in the transfer market this time and not be blown out the water by Portsmouth and sunderland like last time with transfer targets.

keep the faith.

In the premier league? He isn't fine in the championship, let alone the premier league. 

To be honest i thought we played quite well considering our recent form. Thorne, warnock and butters played well. Christie had a horrible time but martial is a 50m player

Id expect united to have more possession, fair enough they are struggling but they do have world class players & always have game changers in their team and needed two offside goals to get the result. 

Social media is annoying me making out united dominated. Yes most of the first half they dominated possession but we came out and had a go unlike most who would play ten ment behind the ball and for me last ten mins of the first half & start of the first half it was open ended we had more chances than the bbc made out.

We are not going to be playing united everyweek and there are more positives than negatives for us from last nights performance 

13 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

In the premier league? He isn't fine in the championship, let alone the premier league. 

He worries me everytime he gets the ball and more so when he thinks he is Franz beckenbauer & tries to play it or run out of defence. He Gives 100% & is ok for this league not good enough for the prem too mistake prone & tries to be too cool at the back when it needs a foot through it 

1 hour ago, alanmarklewis said:

Seems as though no one can really see why we have bought Blackman, especially to play out of position and that Johnson seems to start due to his price tag. Hopefully he makes some changes on Tuesday as he should definitely start Hendrick.

Didnt think Martin played particularly great first half last night up until his assist, tried to do far too much with it and kept getting dispossessed. 

Anyway we had two days less rest than United so it was understandable being a bit leggy, plus we have had a bit of bad luck in this game as well as against Burnley. 

Tuesday is the beginning of our unbeaten run :)

Agree with some of this. Can't agree we had bad luck though! We rode our luck first half and looked second best and game could have been over. Bit of class and adventure from previously anonymous Thorne and we were level..and United seemed to be rocking a touch. Butterfield was class, only player who could have slotted into Utd team. Shackle, Warnock, Thorne, Carson emerged with some credit. Keogh and Christie tried their hearts out. Ince and Blackman turned into so many blind alleys...very frustrating. Not enough attacking intent, pace, intensity, bravery on the ball. Same old problems really. Not a million miles away but so annoying to watch us not perform to potential.

24 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Warnock was very good and made some great tackles - MOTM performance. I agree Christie shouldn't be getting an 8 though - he may as well not have been there defensively even if he was playing against a world class player in the form of Martial.

Martial isn't world class. World class potential but nowhere near world class. I'd define world class as top 10 at most in their position. Martial just isn't.

7 hours ago, top 6 finish said:

You must be the 1st  person to have a mental breakdown on this forum while posting.I really hope

you are not alone and there is someone who can help you. For your sake I hope you don't end up

in the same care home as the sad person and WUM who calls himself something vegas.

Christ its only a game.

I'm not the one calling for folk to lose their jobs and giving up on the season in January am I? 

1 hour ago, toddy said:

Bryson likes to get forward as a midfielder which helps us press higher in turn brings up Thorne &  Butters as we were too deep.

With Blackman, he apart from the goal was the only one to make an impact up front, Header + 2x shots and he stared to run at their defenders.

So why take off the most positive player up front for Camara? No Idea.

As for Camara complete waste last night, looked a bit too light and well Russell, he is is a spent force, completely out of his depth against UTD.

Make one change for Bryson and see if we can press, assess then make another change if required.

Remember it wasn't about trying to beat UTD last night, it was get a team performance and confidence back into the side. Gain some positives for Tuesday, as a player performance we done alright against a very good UTD side.

Questions raised about tactics yet again, too negative, too deep and the subs.........

I will agree with Bryson, wanted him on at half time, which I said to @Mafiabob, but do you not think we should have made other changes?

Blackman, tbf, would have scored with his header in most Championship games, but his shot with his right foot he should have passed the ball to Ince, who had space on the edge of the 6 yard box, as soon as the ball came to him, and his other shot he should have put the ball in the box as soon as he got it. He takes too long on the ball, and seems to only play for himself, maybe he wants to impress by scoring? there were a few times he had the option of a quick pass inside but he wanted to take on his man every time. Mix up, defenders do not need to be taken on every single time, pass it, do a 1-2, early cross.

No idea why PC took him off, maybe he was feeling fatigues, maybe he wasn't carrying out the instructions of PC, maybe he wasn't helping Warnock out enough and left him exposed to 2 on 1 quite a lot. I don't know but PC will have his reasons.

15 minutes for Russell to make an impact and he didn't so he is a spent force and out of his depth? We were playing 5th in the Prem, and we are 5th in the Championship, if our players were all up to the level of those then that is where we, or they, would be. Camara looks like he wants the ball and wants to get on it at all times, the only difference between what the 2 of them did was 1 tracked back and the other decided he was gonna shoot when he got the ball. Team player vs a player either too eager to impress with goals or just a greedy player.

If it isn't about winning what is the point of stepping out on to the pitch? The minimum we would have wanted was to get a decent team performance, and I think we did well for where we are in comparison to them.

Let me get this straight, the players played well but the team didn't? How does that work? Looks like you just want to have a dig at PC.

Questions about the tactics, I can see how we were set up and the idea behind it, sit in, frustrate and hit them on the break when we could, unfortunately it didn't work, it may have done if Rooney was flagged for offside for the goal, who knows. In fact there were 4 big calls all game (possibly 5) and all went in their favour, the 2 goals that were offside, and the penalty appeals, 2 in 2 seconds with Smalling holding Shackell then Blind(?) about taking Keogh's head off, either could, and should, have been a penalty, and also there was 1 where Johnson was penalised for pushing Blind over when Blind wasn't looking at the ball, blocking Johnson's run and rugby tackling him.

Had time to mull over what I saw.

United were technically better and half a yard quicker everywhere but then you would expect that when they are a full league above us and have world class players. Chris Smalling is a magnificent player I am glad England have him.

As for us .. Well .. Still disjointed as a Team but showed some fight. Johnson just not in the game but he did keep trying however ineffectually. Blackman spent the first 30 minutes like a rabbit in the headlights but then started to wake up a bit. Jury still out on him. All the back four played well. Warnock amazing given his advancing years and lack of pace. Sterling performance. Thorne is easily a premier league player. Christie was out gunned defensively but put in 3 or 4 excellent crosses showed terrific willingness to get up and scrub himself down and try again.. Midfield sat too deep but given what they faced it is perhaps understandable and that again meant Martin didn't have a lot to work with. Ince was quiet, I felt though that he is a nearly man who is going to improve. He moves and thinks like a premier league player even when having a poor game. Camara didn't get a ball he could use so no comment on him or Hendrick and JR. Butterfield burst through once and couldn't believe his luck so fluffed it but he looked OK as well. An interesting test of where we are. PC has half a season to get us playing as a unit and to the strengths we have. If he does that then we can make a go of it. Onwards to Preston ... 

As an aside ... Not listening to any sour grapes about "manure" fans and prawn sandwiches. Their fans sang and supported continuously for 90 mins. Best away support I have ever heard in the modern game - they just never stopped. 

Can't be bothered to critique individual players but i was proud of the performance/effort especially from Thorne who wouldn't have looked out of place in the United side, and Ince really played well in terms of his work rate and showed flashes  but he's a good work in progress. He's class.  Also for all the Johnson naysayers he sure works his socks off defensively. Thought we sat off too much but Martin is too slow to apply any pressure and too slow to worry the other teams defence. His body language was like he wanted out of the team just strolling about until he did the one big flick over to Thorne. And he's not a goal threat at all. Not much wrong on the selection but I'd have liked to see Bent at centre forward to inject some pace, and the changes at the end made us worse ... Bryson and Hughes (when fit) in front of Thorne with either bent or Blackman up top central and we win this game assuming we apply pressure. 

The biggest negative about our team for me is that central players don't get open quickly enough (Bryson and Hughes did) and so that puts a lot of pressure on the player with the ball and we cough it up too easily. Get Open !!!

Anyway let's see how we do in the next 3 games - we need to be destroying those teams. 

5 minutes ago, Ninos said:

The biggest negative about our team for me is that central players don't get open quickly enough (Bryson and Hughes did) and so that puts a lot of pressure on the player with the ball and we cough it up too easily. Get Open !!!

Anyway let's see how we do in the next 3 games - we need to be destroying those teams. 

I agree ... Particularly Hughes in a game like this. The need to play a killing pass with speed. We did have the ball sometimes but just didn't play passes quickly and instinctively. Unless you do that against top sides then you end up wading in mud. 

Ince was making runs but he wasn't seen enough by deep linings mids

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Can't be bothered to critique individual players but i was proud of the performance/effort especially from Thorne who wouldn't have looked out of place in the United side, and Ince really played well in terms of his work rate and showed flashes  but he's a good work in progress. He's class.  Also for all the Johnson naysayers he sure works his socks off defensively. Thought we sat off too much but Martin is too slow to apply any pressure and too slow to worry the other teams defence. His body language was like he wanted out of the team just strolling about until he did the one big flick over to Thorne. And he's not a goal threat at all. Not much wrong on the selection but I'd have liked to see Bent at centre forward to inject some pace, and the changes at the end made us worse ... Bryson and Hughes (when fit) in front of Thorne with either bent or Blackman up top central and we win this game assuming we apply pressure. 

:thumbsup:but then again you did say players and it was only 1 player you criticised. 

Martin is too slow for other teams defence to worry about, that is why he always has the cb's marking him. He isn't a goal threat at all, that is why he is our top scorer, and has been since he signed almost 3 years ago.

I think any tactics we had planned went straight out of the window about a minute after k.o. To do

some of the stuff that's being urged on here,you have to get hold of the ball first.They wouldn't let us

have the ball,we couldn't get it off them. If we had pressed them harder up the field we would have

been knackered by ht. When teams are better more skilful than you that's the way they play. Man U

are a top team,one of the best in the country,LVG picked the strongest team he had available and

motivated them to win. The most obvious example was the Christie v. Martial contest,Cyrus gritted

his teeth got stuck in and did his very best,and £36 million winger kept skinning him with ease. Towards

the end we were really tiring,not through lack of fitness but because we were given the runaround nearly

all the game. We won't be playing one of the worlds best too often,I was quite proud of out team at the end.

Just one more point : Man U aren't facing all the criticism ,because they are rubbish,after all they are 5th,and

will probably finish top 4. It's that they aren't playing with enough style and excitement for their fans.

1 minute ago, TimRam said:

Gary Crisps comment that "you have to go back a long way to find a decent Derby player" (or words to that effect) made me a bit miffed to say the least. Grrrrr!:angry:

Think he was just having a dig at Savage tbf

2 hours ago, rynny said:

I will agree with Bryson, wanted him on at half time, which I said to @Mafiabob, but do you not think we should have made other changes?

Blackman, tbf, would have scored with his header in most Championship games, but his shot with his right foot he should have passed the ball to Ince, who had space on the edge of the 6 yard box, as soon as the ball came to him, and his other shot he should have put the ball in the box as soon as he got it. He takes too long on the ball, and seems to only play for himself, maybe he wants to impress by scoring? there were a few times he had the option of a quick pass inside but he wanted to take on his man every time. Mix up, defenders do not need to be taken on every single time, pass it, do a 1-2, early cross.

No idea why PC took him off, maybe he was feeling fatigues, maybe he wasn't carrying out the instructions of PC, maybe he wasn't helping Warnock out enough and left him exposed to 2 on 1 quite a lot. I don't know but PC will have his reasons.

15 minutes for Russell to make an impact and he didn't so he is a spent force and out of his depth? We were playing 5th in the Prem, and we are 5th in the Championship, if our players were all up to the level of those then that is where we, or they, would be. Camara looks like he wants the ball and wants to get on it at all times, the only difference between what the 2 of them did was 1 tracked back and the other decided he was gonna shoot when he got the ball. Team player vs a player either too eager to impress with goals or just a greedy player.

If it isn't about winning what is the point of stepping out on to the pitch? The minimum we would have wanted was to get a decent team performance, and I think we did well for where we are in comparison to them.

Let me get this straight, the players played well but the team didn't? How does that work? Looks like you just want to have a dig at PC.

Questions about the tactics, I can see how we were set up and the idea behind it, sit in, frustrate and hit them on the break when we could, unfortunately it didn't work, it may have done if Rooney was flagged for offside for the goal, who knows. In fact there were 4 big calls all game (possibly 5) and all went in their favour, the 2 goals that were offside, and the penalty appeals, 2 in 2 seconds with Smalling holding Shackell then Blind(?) about taking Keogh's head off, either could, and should, have been a penalty, and also there was 1 where Johnson was penalised for pushing Blind over when Blind wasn't looking at the ball, blocking Johnson's run and rugby tackling him.

Russell has not put many performances this season so far regardless who is playing against - you don't have to have the same skill level as our opposition just to play well.

If it isn't about winning what is the point of stepping out on to the pitch? We are playing one of the best teams in the prem, we are currently in our worst run since when this time last season, confidence is shot leaking goals like a sieve I could go on. But last night was about just putting in a performance and hoping to get some confidence back into the players, the players as a whole played well, don't think anybody had a duff  game per se.  

Archived