Derby County v Manchester United

Mafiabob

just a few things i want to mention here....

1. starting with the fans, we were awful tonight? what happened to that wall of sound? to be fair it got better as the game went on but until we scored, i thought the united fans were absolutely magnificient....was the south stand intimidated?

2. screw the half fans who left when the 3rd united goal went in, excluding the fact they were ever so slightly offside they were all good goals, especially rooney's to start things going....thats why martin plays in the championship and rooney is the captain of england. anyway doesnt excuse the fact that hundreds of people around me in the north stand got up and left exclaming "this is ****" when we have played well and yet have conceded well worked goals. with 7 minutes to go...

3.I dont think we looked too bad, we've played probably better than any of the others games we've had recently, i think i noticed a particular change in martin once he won he's first header and as things went on i thought he got better and better. yet we still lack the midfield player running beyond him which he seems to excel at finding.....this is why i feel we miss bryson so much. he is that extra man who bursts into the box so martin can play balls like he did to thorne......without that runner he tries to hold it up and only ever ends up going backwards or losing the ball.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I was so proud of our team a few years ago, playing great, attacking bold football under Steve McClaren on a shoe-string budget. What wasn't to like? Ward, Bryson, Martin, Buxton... All bargains.

But they were all Clough signings ???

We can't be upset and anyone basing decisions on Clement about tonight should go on a common sense course first.

What games like tonight do is learn about our players and who could potentially make a step up. Butterfield and Thorne did well for me. Christie I think will genuinely struggle (not just because he was up against a stunning player) and we look a little lightweight upfront.

The biggest criticism with this style of play is the lack of runners. That could be personnel related or system related. The current midfield trip don't play advanced roles and for me don't combine well.

Still I accept and use the cliche of time to concentrate on the league.

Only read the last few pages. Some posters will be embarrassed when they're off the sauce in the morning.

We played the team 5th in the Prem with a full-strength team. They scored 2 offside goals to win 3-1. We did well to come back from a goal behind. We weren't outplayed - for instance we had more corners which shows we were in their box a decent amount of the time. But we're not having any luck whatsoever at the moment.

We move on, with the only thing that matters this season being the battle to get into the Prem. There are a lot of games to go, with plenty of twists and turns. However, we do need to hit form; let's hope it begins on Tuesday. Tonight's game is already forgotten, other than to comment on how well Hendrick played. The lad deserves to start with BJ deserving a rest. Not sure what everyone's thinking when they put Hendrick on the left of proposed midfield and Butterfield on the right in their lineups. Obviously the other way around.

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Yes - I don't see your point?

I basically agree with you, but Clough should get the credit for signing 'those bargains'.  McClaren should get the credit for changing a negative attitude into a positive attacking one. IMO.

18 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Only read the last few pages. Some posters will be embarrassed when they're off the sauce in the morning.

We played the team 5th in the Prem with a full-strength team. They scored 2 offside goals to win 3-1. We did well to come back from a goal behind. We weren't outplayed - for instance we had more corners which shows we were in their box a decent amount of the time. But we're not having any luck whatsoever at the moment.

We move on, with the only thing that matters this season being the battle to get into the Prem. There are a lot of games to go, with plenty of twists and turns. However, we do need to hit form; let's hope it begins on Tuesday. Tonight's game is already forgotten, other than to comment on how well Hendrick played. The lad deserves to start with BJ deserving a rest. Not sure what everyone's thinking when they put Hendrick on the left of proposed midfield and Butterfield on the right in their lineups. Obviously the other way around.

I thought we were thoroughly outplayed. United should have scored about six on the night.

They bombarded us and got in behind our fullbacks all night. Martial should have scored another two, and we managed a couple of last ditch blocks and tackles to prevent more damage.

We barely got our of our own half in the opening 45 minutes, and we were a spent force by 60 minutes in the second. I wouldn't late a few corners fool you, we won our first after about 40 minutes.

And for the last 15 mins United were in cruise control and allowed us to have the ball.

Is time to move on. I thought Hendrick did well, Thorne was good too. Ince had the beating of their rookie LB, and Carson was faultless for the goals.

Hard to know what to take from the game. Are United poor and we made them look better than they are? Or was it a decent performance against a top 5/6 prem team? Positives...Warnock MOTM for me. Butterfield, Thorne, centre halves all played well. C'irish Christie did well considering he was left exposed to Utd's best player. Blackman was threatening, more so than Ince. Bit better than usual from Martin but I think desperation for him to do well is leading to his performance being over rated a bit and being used as justification for the Bryson running past him argument which I also think is a bit simplistic. Anyone who thinks Bryson's inclusion will transform how we play are guilty of wishful thinking I fear.

22 minutes ago, gfs1ram said:

I basically agree with you, but Clough should get the credit for signing 'those bargains'.  McClaren should get the credit for changing a negative attitude into a positive attacking one. IMO.

Why we still on about mclaren and his team ? Mclarens not our manager anymore ! Let's move on !

Meh, outclassed. Great goal, played nicely in patches, but generally reminded me of the Chelsea games. Chelsea were a better side, and we've spent £25m since. Nick Blackman is fast becoming my personal scapegoat. 4 games in, and he's done **** all to show me why we signed him. Johnson might as well have been sat with me.

Now. Time to turn the season around over the next couple of weeks Mr Clement.

14 minutes ago, needles said:

Meh, outclassed. Great goal, played nicely in patches, but generally reminded me of the Chelsea games. Chelsea were a better side, and we've spent £25m since. Nick Blackman is fast becoming my personal scapegoat. 4 games in, and he's done **** all to show me why we signed him. Johnson might as well have been sat with me.

Now. Time to turn the season around over the next couple of weeks Mr Clement.

Amazing how different people see different things. I thought Blackman looked a lot more dangerous than Ince and I'm hopeful he'll prove a good signing.

2 minutes ago, Reithe glas said:

Amazing how different people see different things. I thought Blackman looked a lot more dangerous than Ince and I'm hopeful he'll prove a good signing.

Ince is my second favourite scapegoat. Moments of brilliance interspersed with months of ineffective posturing. Sooner have £5m in the bank and kept Wardy.

Looked like a Championship side tonight....but then we've been playing badly for a month.  Would have been nice to have a real go at a Man.Utd, who must have been low on confidence.  We looked negative from the first whistle...do we always kick the ball deep in the opposing team's corner from the kick-off?  I should have been paying attention...as it's the always indicative of a team with a safety first mentality. 

I still like Clement, and i'm in favour of giving him time to sort us out, but if Johnson isn't sitting on the bench at kick-off against Preston, then i won't be able prevent myself from having doubts about him for any longer.

Not sure what the plan is with Camara. He is clearly a fast and tricky winger who we should be using to attack vulnerable fullbacks like Varela but the ball wasnt moving forward quickly enough which meant he was dropping deeper and deeper and having to drift around, i lost count of the times he came inside looking to receive the ball but ended up in Martin's zonal area and had to move away again.

Shackell needs to either play the simple pass to Keogh or Warnock and stop trying to force the ball forward as he isn't accurate enough with the longer balls, was a few occasions tonight where it cost us possession.

Overall I came away happy, far better performance all round than we have seen for the last 6 weeks. Butterfield is really starting to take games by the scruff if the neck, was a shame Martin or anyone else didn't give him the option of a pass when he had that driving run in the second half, could see he was running out of steam and that Smalling was going to have him, if someone offered a possible pass there was a good chance of scoring du to how open United had become.

Those who left as soon as the third goal went in should hang their heads in shame. Was also a lot of annoying people tonight, people shouting at Keogh within 3mins of kick off and there was a dad with two lads, the three of them taking it in turns to jump up from front row west stand seats to bang in the ad boards ever few minutes, one of the kids even looked like he did a monkey gesture. Wife is going to write an email to the club with their seat numbers in he morning.

4 minutes ago, RicME85 said:

Those who left as soon as the third goal went in should hang their heads in shame. 

Why? It was over. The lads haven't done the business for weeks either. They earn the right to be backed through the dying moments of an insipid defeat...and they have no credit left in that bank.

Archived