Shaun Barker Testimonial

Chris Mills

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

In all fairness he is not even 40. There is nothing stopping him going out and getting another job like many others have to when losing their job through factors outside of their control.

I agree. What's any of that got to do with a testimonial?

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Was you not suggesting his 'career ending injury' meant he deserves a testimonial?

No, you seem to be implying he is not entitled to one - that's not the same thing. I have no idea why you've taken offence to a retired player having a testimonial match. I just don't get it. Do we even know that the raised money is going in his back pocket, or is that just an assumption?

1 minute ago, Duracell said:

No, you seem to be implying he is not entitled to one - that's not the same thing. I have no idea why you've taken offence to a retired player having a testimonial match. I just don't get it. Do we even know that the raised money is going in his back pocket, or is that just an assumption?

I'm not implying anything, I am stating that I do not see what he has done to deserve a testimonial.

I have no idea what is happening with the money, why would I assume it is going anywhere other than to him?

28 minutes ago, RamuelLJackson said:

He suffered a career-ending injury playing for DCFC. He deserves a testimonial - even more clearly when the proceeds are going to his foundation not him.

Not only that, he received the terrible injury in the action of preventng the Gumps from scoring.

20 minutes later, Jake Buxton became a legend.

In my book, that alone makes him worth a testimonial game, and I shall definitely attend and applaud Shaun until my hands are raw. Football is still about emotion.

Totally in favour of this. He was told he would never walk properly again and the fact he managed to play a game in the 21's is a near miracle based on the severity of what happened and serves as an inspiration to any aspiring athlete or anyone in potential to never give up. He could quite easily have thrown the towel in and nobody would really have blamed him, for me this testimonial is more than just saying thank you to a servant of the club. It's about showing gratitude and respect to a true role model who we were lucky enough to have as part of our club. I truly hope once he hangs up his boots he gets a coaching role in the youth setup - him and Bucko would be perfect IMO for the younguns.

Not sure what the issue is with raising money for the charity of an ex-player who had his career cut short due to injury.

It'll go a good way to making up for the "send-off" that he received at the end of last season.

30 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What is wrong with debating on a forum?

Opening poster said they could not think of any reason why this would split opinion and I have tried to give reasons why I am not particularly in favour of it.

I sort of gathered that by now

• 1 month later...
Just now, RicME85 said:

Got selected to attend the pre match press conference. Have been asked to take questions, ideally regarding the testimonial.

Anyone got any ideas?

How will the money raised be spent?

3 minutes ago, RicME85 said:

Got selected to attend the pre match press conference. Have been asked to take questions, ideally regarding the testimonial.

Anyone got any ideas?

Can you ask Mcfarland to deny or confirm the Newcastle rumours please? He's remained silent until now but we deserve answers.

Archived