Shaun Barker Testimonial

Chris Mills

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Based in part on subsequent events. The CEO and manager would probably agree on the retained list as each season ends but given the relationship with McLaren and the fact that his sacking followed less than 3 weeks later, my best guess is that the final say rested with Rush.

Who do you think it was?

For the record, if proceeds go to his nominated charity, then I would support a testimonial - those that are criticising the possibility, just don't go because nobody's forcing you to!

The manager and the manager only. Rush would negotiate based on the manager's wishes.

6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm not particularly in favour of asking people who earn in a year what he probably earned in 2 weeks to spend their hard earned cash, to give a testimonial to someone who was employed by us for 6 years but only actually played for about 3 seasons.

If he was on £5k a week that is approx £1.5m he would have 'earned' from Derby. Put into context someone on minimum wage would probably have to work for 100 years to earn that.

The more you think about it the more obscene it sounds.

So yes I can understand why this would split opinion.

Why do people always go on about footballers wages lol they're not going to turn them down because someone on minimum wage doesn't earn that. That's the price of football

I guess the point of a testimonial is that he's had his career cut short by a truly horrible injury whilst playing for us. He probably had a another 1-2 years in him playing at Championship level earning a decent wage had that not happened.

Now he's staring down the barrel of another 35 years of non-playing employment where he probably won't earn anything like the same sort of wages.

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

McLaren was right not to pick him if he believed Shaun wasn't as good as the other central defenders either in the team or on the bench - the final decision not to renew his contract would almost certainly have been Sam Rushs'.

Many of us hoped that his likely swansong was going to be the last match of the season when at least a playoff place had been secured so he can thank the management and his team mates for that situation failing to materialise!

I'm sorry but the releasing of players is completely down to the manager.  Otherwise what's the point in having a manager...

He deserves respect, as well as a proper send off, for what he's managed to do.  The Tin Man was here a year less and only managed another 25 games than Barker yet it attracted the biggest gate ever at the ipro, so I don't see why folk are getting their panties in a bunch about this...

I think it is good, i do agree with Steve not playing him last season, it was hardly the time to throw an uncertain player in the mix when things where bad enough anyway....had we been walking the league, maybe just maybe it might have happened i dont know.

I'll be there should be a good fun occasion.

7 hours ago, Duracell said:

Unbelievable from Derby County! Why on earth have we started looking after former players? 

Why can't he just disappear from the face of the earth gracefully. So what the career you were working for your entire life was suddenly cut short in a horrifically painful injury? Bad things happen all the time. Cry us a river, Shaun.

Can I also say a massive well done and thank you to all the Derby fans on social media who have taken the time to complain about this - you all sound like very smart people and do wonders for the reputation of our supporters. A pat on the back to you all.

In all fairness he is not even 40. There is nothing stopping him going out and getting another job like many others have to when losing their job through factors outside of their control.

4 hours ago, JW37 said:

Why do people always go on about footballers wages lol they're not going to turn them down because someone on minimum wage doesn't earn that. That's the price of football

Well think about a footballers wages in context of what I have posted and see if you can work out why I think it is an issue.

18 minutes ago, The 1884 Group said:

Because it's to give a fantastic servant of the club and city the send off he deserves which has been approved by the football league as a testimonial. Not sure what the issue is!

So it is a testimonial then?

My issue is I think it exploits fans but there again you do have the option of whether you go or not.

Today I've seen him referred to as a legend and now a fantastic servant. He was a half decent player in a sh1t3 team and nothing more than that in my opinion.

And people are going to town about his recovery...well what did they expect him to do? He was still on our payroll so the least he could do was aim to overcome his injury.

5 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

I'm sorry but the releasing of players is completely down to the manager.  Otherwise what's the point in having a manager...

He deserves respect, as well as a proper send off, for what he's managed to do.  The Tin Man was here a year less and only managed another 25 games than Barker yet it attracted the biggest gate ever at the ipro, so I don't see why folk are getting their panties in a bunch about this...

Agree that ordinarily the manager would have the major say but do wonder in this case, given that McLaren was sacked less than 3 weeks after issuing the retained list, whether Rush & MM would have left those decisions to the manager.

Ultimately, whoever made the decision to release Shaun, it was the right one.

22 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So it is a testimonial then?

My issue is I think it exploits fans but there again you do have the option of whether you go or not.

Today I've seen him referred to as a legend and now a fantastic servant. He was a half decent player in a sh1t3 team and nothing more than that in my opinion.

And people are going to town about his recovery...well what did they expect him to do? He was still on our payroll so the least he could do was aim to overcome his injury.

If you don't agree with him having this game, just say so and don't go. Others will make their own minds up and will have their own opinions about the bloke and whether to go or not. I really don't see what the big deal is.

37 minutes ago, ossieram said:

If you don't agree with him having this game, just say so and don't go. Others will make their own minds up and will have their own opinions about the bloke and whether to go or not. I really don't see what the big deal is.

Which is what I have already done?

6 hours ago, StivePesley said:

I guess the point of a testimonial is that he's had his career cut short by a truly horrible injury whilst playing for us. He probably had a another 1-2 years in him playing at Championship level earning a decent wage had that not happened.

Now he's staring down the barrel of another 35 years of non-playing employment where he probably won't earn anything like the same sort of wages.

Just one or two years?! He's only a year older than Shackell!

Archived