Chris Martin - who would take him?

Bridgford Ram

I am not saying we should sell Chris Martin, and I think whether he is playing well or not is being discussed to death elsewhere but I am interested to know - how much do you think he is currently worth in the transfer market and which teams / level of teams do you think would consider signing him?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We supposedly knocked back an approach by Swansea in the Summer, ten million the figure we quoted if I remember correctly.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Chris-Martin-7m-target-Swansea/story-26826530-detail/story.html

Be interested myself to what people would currently value him at, the article above has someone mentioning 17 million in the comments:ermm: 

i'd snap someones hand off if offered anything from five million upwards. 

4 minutes ago, Papahet said:

We supposedly knocked back an approach by Swansea in the Summer, ten million the figure we quoted if I remember correctly.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Chris-Martin-7m-target-Swansea/story-26826530-detail/story.html

Be interested myself to what people would currently value him at, the article above has someone mentioning 17 million in the comments:ermm: 

i'd snap someones hand off if offered anything from five million upwards. 

Considering the prices of players like Afobe, Grabban, Gray and McCormack then £5m would be a stupid price to sell him at and we shouldn't even be looking at selling him anyway.

2 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Who'd have him?

Derby.

Don't go chris - we'll help you find your mojo!

No one because we're keeping him. He'll start scoring and people will say differently once that's happens. Watch this space! 

Just because Martin is in a poor run of form, it doesn't mean his value has suddenly halved, there's plenty of good forwards who've had a similar run of form. Rooney, Costa, Kane, to name just a few of the top Prem strikers who've struggled at points this season. Rhodes, Murphy, Vydra, Afobe, a few of the top end Championship strikers who've suffered goal droughts this season. 

Despite Martin's drop in form, there's still only 4 people in the league who have contributed to more goals for their team than Martin has for Derby. Ross McCormack, 29 years old and has been linked to clubs for £10 million +, Andre Gray who cost Burnley somewhere in the region of  £8 million, Forestieri who is God's gift according to most Wednesday fans and Alan Judge who has seen bids from Burnley and Sheff Wednesday for him rejected. And now Martin is struggling some of you would be happy to get rid for 5 or 6 million? I agree with most that it's about time he sat out for a few games so Bent/Blackman got a chance, but to sell for such a low fee in today's market would be daft.

Been saying it for a long time now.

Martin was onto a good thing at derby because the midfield setup suited him down to the ground. It was never worth us selling him because he simply wouldnt be suited to any other club, and no club could value him as high as we do.

Despite playing a different way this season, i wouldnt change it to suit martin , as a team we are better off this way with greater defensive stability and shape when we lose the ball. not only does our current system not suit martin, but he is actually playing pretty poorly now, his body language shows it, and i bet he is shot of all confidence. Time for Blackman to be given a go, someone who is big, can win it in the air, can hold it up, but can also run, and shoot on the run.

His best days were arguably when being supported by a midfield which did all of the running off and for him (Bryson).  He still has all of the ability.  Just look how few opportunities he has to even shoot these days.  I think his accuracy is still there and probably shots per goal still reads ok.  In the recent games I have mainly seen half chances for him.  I say we stick with him, he is worth far more to us than he would be worth in any transfer at the moment.  If we get to the prem then it is a different matter, but we need to be in the prem before we even look into that.  

I wonder how the past couple of weeks would have played out if we had put our strongest 11 out against Leeds, held for a draw at Boro and then played our first 11 in the cup to give them all a boost and a (probable) winning mentality...  I'd probably be on here criticising those choices also!

I think Chris Martin needs us and we need him. He would be rubbish anywhere else IMO and literally whenever he has a half good game we are immense. He has to be a lone striker. Imagine if he went in to say a Wolves side that played 4-4-2, he would be rubbish and get 10 a season. He gets the service from our very good quality side and I think a lot of 'lumps' who hold the ball up would get 15 a season in that position with our squad. I do really like Martin and we should keep him but pull your finger out chrissy for god sake!

16 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Been saying it for a long time now.

Martin was onto a good thing at derby because the midfield setup suited him down to the ground. It was never worth us selling him because he simply wouldnt be suited to any other club, and no club could value him as high as we do.

Despite playing a different way this season, i wouldnt change it to suit martin , as a team we are better off this way with greater defensive stability and shape when we lose the ball. not only does our current system not suit martin, but he is actually playing pretty poorly now, his body language shows it, and i bet he is shot of all confidence. Time for Blackman to be given a go, someone who is big, can win it in the air, can hold it up, but can also run, and shoot on the run.

This post shows an attitude typical of the many stupid, impatient supporters we seem to have and gives Chris Martin NO credit at all for the teams success in the past couple of years. 

6 hours ago, DRBee said:

This post shows an attitude typical of the many stupid, impatient supporters we seem to have and gives Chris Martin NO credit at all for the teams success in the past couple of years. 

In what way does my post do martin a disservice in the last 2 seasons before this one?

When i think of the stick he gets from people around me at the iPro I was his greatest fan. But he simply has been no where near his best for weeks now. On current form, and given our more direct style I would play Blackman in his position. yes I know martin hasnt had the service this season, but he is still playing poorly with the service he is getting. His performances from body language, fitness, sharpness to play a simple acurate pass are more akin to the Martin who came back late last season from injury and just wasnt match fit.

Archived