Benik Afobe

peachmyster

17 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Promoted teams with pace up front tend to do well because there is more space on the counter attack. Just look at watford with ighalo, Bournemouth with wilson(before his injury). Leicester with Vardy

But why is it vital? What about Southampton (Lambert) and Norwich (Holt)? Players like Hughes, Thorne and Butterfield will flourish in the prem as will Martin, imo, you do need someone with pace on the team but it can't be instead of technical ability.

If it was so vital players like Sammon and Theo Robinson would have been played lots of games in the prem. 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, rynny said:

But why is it vital? What about Southampton (Lambert) and Norwich (Holt)? Players like Hughes, Thorne and Butterfield will flourish in the prem as will Martin, imo, you do need someone with pace on the team but it can't be instead of technical ability.

If it was so vital players like Sammon and Theo Robinson would have been played lots of games in the prem. 

You can't compare Sammon and Robinson to Afobe. Did u watch Afobe v man utd last season? Martin would not have been able to do that

12 minutes ago, McLovin said:

You can't compare Sammon and Robinson to Afobe. Did u watch Afobe v man utd last season? Martin would not have been able to do that

I haven't compared them, just pointing out pace isn't the be all and end all. I didn't see the game but to pick that game out and say Martin wouldn't have been able to do that to Utd is very harsh. How many strikers have destroyed Utd's defence recently and helped them score 4 goals? The only striker I can think of recently (and it wasn't that recent) is Torres for Liverpool. 

Leicester have multiple players in the fastest in the whole league, they've destroyed teams on the counter. It is a huge advantage, that said you can do it without crazy pace. Lambert was always quality though, he looked way too good for the Championship.

Players with all out pace and nothing else generally start at Championship level and head downwards.  If you haven't got a decent footballing ability, you won't get far.

That said, whilst players with bags of ability and no pace usually look quality at Championship level, but you come up lacking in the Prem.

Take Lee Tomlin, who was one of the stars of Middlesbrough last season, now barely featuring for Bournemouth.

1 hour ago, tomsdubs said:

Leicester have multiple players in the fastest in the whole league, they've destroyed teams on the counter. It is a huge advantage, that said you can do it without crazy pace. Lambert was always quality though, he looked way too good for the Championship.

Spot on tomsdubs

4 hours ago, rynny said:

Never really got the pace thing either. 

In fact a lot of the pacey players we've had are crap. Fast feet, slow brains. 

Leicester have some good footballers. Said it last season that Pearson isn't getting the best out of them. 

If pace was so important then everyone would have big athletic African defenders. 

Remember AC Milan with Nesta and Maldini? Every time they were on itv the pundits would bang on about the pace that would cause them problems because "defenders hate pace" 

It's hard for British pundits to watch Italian teams. Confused by the lack of pacey players. Isn't there a saying about the first yards being in your head? Then there's the ball...

42 minutes ago, Chris Mills said:

To be honest this is the signing we should be doing.

Mel said that we're looking forward 5 years, if thats so then this is the player that we should be after. Not McCormack.

Agree. 

McCormack is class though. Needs to stop playing for crap teams.

Just now, Chris Mills said:

I think that this window allows us to see whether our Chairman is serious about the long term not short term strategy or whether it is just words out of his mouth.

Ha ha ha ha. I think some of that tattoo ink is seeping into your brain Chris.

1 minute ago, Chris Mills said:

I think that this window allows us to see whether our Chairman is serious about the long term not short term strategy or whether it is just words out of his mouth.

Two mid twenties lads fits in I suppose. 

But I hope these are good for the short term too. Like very short term. We've made three or four signings that can barely get a kick never mind offer improve us. 

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Ha ha ha ha. I think some of that tattoo ink is seeping into your brain Chris.

I like Mel, and I don't doubt for a second that he doesn't mean what he says, but we have to act on it! 

Forgive me for not worshiping the very ground he walks on quite yet (although I am massively appreciative of what he has done so far).

I am just challenging people to think about the signings we should be in for! 

2 minutes ago, Chris Mills said:

I like Mel, and I don't doubt for a second that he doesn't mean what he says, but we have to act on it! 

Forgive me for not worshiping the very ground he walks on quite yet (although I am massively appreciative of what he has done so far).

I am just challenging people to think about the signings we should be in for! 

I'll leave that to the experts at the club and am happy to just support them.

2 minutes ago, Chris Mills said:

Agreed - I'm not expecting the transfer team to come on here and say "By God he's right!" 

I meant the forum. 

The problem with that is that people really do get disappointed if the club do not go for the players suggested on here and claim a lack of ambition by the club even if there has been no official link with any of them.

I don't think any sane person can question Mels ambition.

Archived