Benik Afobe

peachmyster

2 minutes ago, philmycock said:

ITK :whistle:

Not that you've just read OB's Twitter re: Gnabry! ITK :whistle:

Or maybe it was my post in suggestion :ph34r: (I confess, I just saw sky sports say his loan had been ended. I literally know nothing about the fella :lol:)

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Chris Mills said:

I don't do reading I'm afraid - I normally come on a thread, find the first thing I can disagree with and do so.

Ah that explains a lot

2 hours ago, Ramble On said:

Every striker needs that certain edge of pace especially up top alone, his effort this season has been poor for me.

Goes over far too easily, loses the ball and puts his hands on his hips. 

I remember at points last season we saw the very best of him chasing about and closing people down. Just recently he looks disinterested and his performances have gone with that.

Afobe would be a cracking signing for us, him or Austin would have been my two interests for us to improve.

Agree the first bit re Martin but am ambivalent about Afobe. Only really saw him at Brighton when he had a poor game but he might turn out to be a gem. Oh and as a self appointed Grammar Nazi I suspect you mean "uninterested" rather than "disinterested" which means "impartial" like an umpire or referee is meant to be. And to confuse matters and show the vagaries of the English language, the noun for disinterested is disinteredness but the noun for uninterested is disinterest. Right, back to my Bovril now

2 minutes ago, Simo said:

Is Afobe really that much better than Martin?

Hard to compare because they're different types of players. In this division, not really, but then they play different roles. In the PL Afobe has the better chance of succeeding than Martin in my opinion.

Plus if we did sign Afobe I expect he would play alongside Martin, not replace him, so there wouldn't be a need to compare who is better

2 hours ago, Strange yearnings said:

Agree the first bit re Martin but am ambivalent about Afobe. Only really saw him at Brighton when he had a poor game but he might turn out to be a gem. Oh and as a self appointed Grammar Nazi I suspect you mean "uninterested" rather than "disinterested" which means "impartial" like an umpire or referee is meant to be. And to confuse matters and show the vagaries of the English language, the noun for disinterested is disinteredness but the noun for uninterested is disinterest. Right, back to my Bovril now

I found that really misinteresting. SY :D

5 minutes ago, Strange yearnings said:

Oh dear. I fear I have de-interested you

I am in a predisinterested state of being uninterested, hence my misinteresticity. It is an interesting state to find myself in, considering the parainterestedness of my pseudointerestability.:D 

2 hours ago, Kernow said:

Hard to compare because they're different types of players. In this division, not really, but then they play different roles. In the PL Afobe has the better chance of succeeding than Martin in my opinion.

Plus if we did sign Afobe I expect he would play alongside Martin, not replace him, so there wouldn't be a need to compare who is better

I think we would not play them together because as you correctly say they are two different types of CF.

Martin strong and physical static target man CF, Afobe is a channel runner, low centre of gravity, fast & pacey, very difficult for centre backs to tackle but likes to have one or two strikers around him, of a similar style.

With Martin we try to play 4-3-3 but in reality we end up 4-3-2-1, the further deep 3 and 2 become the more isolated Martin is in attack.

With Afobe we would could play a true 4-3-3 with 3 strikers playing up front together all using the channels and making diagonal  runs, but we would need pacey strikers for that to work Afobe, Ince maybe Weimann/Bennett, with this system all three play the line. This system is extremely difficult to defend against.

Afobe could also play in a 4-4-2 alongside Ince again both play the line and not in a position.

So if was Afobe it could be a formation change?

Totally agree, Afobe would be the better of the two in the prem - once we promotion in May!

2 hours ago, Kernow said:

Of course we have to compare! This is DCFCfans, we compare everything and everyone, whether they play for us or an opponent, even if they don't play in the same position. We neeeeed to compare :thumbsup:

Archived