Benik Afobe

peachmyster

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Strange yearnings said:

Well, I went on Friday to the Brighton v Wolves game. He was absolutely terrible. Hadn't a clue. Too small to win any headers. Was substituted. 

Bruno in the right wing back position on the other hand for Brighton was immense

If some neutral had gone to watch us the against Boro they would wonder how on earth Martin gets a game!

Afobe is a very talented striker, a runner, he is fast, somebody who like to run the channels, - he is not a target man. Unfortunately Wolves played him up on his own at Brighton, he plays so much better part of a 2 or 3 attack force.

3 minutes ago, toddy said:

If some neutral had gone to watch us the against Boro they would wonder how on earth Martin gets a game!

Afobe is a very talented striker, a runner, he is fast, somebody who like to run the channels, - he is not a target man. Unfortunately Wolves played him up on his own at Brighton, he plays so much better part of a 2 or 3 attack force.

Probably true. I really only took note of him because I had heard of our interest. Up against Dunk he didn't get a look in, lost possession a lot, didn't track back once. Wasn't impressed at all but as you say everyone has a bad day

Slightly odd that we might be smashing our transfer record to buy a striker who apparently cannot play up front on his own, so would most likely be alongside Martin in a changed system. When we already have Weimann, Russell, Ince and  Bent already who would love to play as a front two alongside Martin, with the first three in that list currently being played out of position to accommodate the 4-3-3.

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, King Kevin said:

My office is quite near Wolverhampton and the word locally is that he is on his way to Derby .[Don't shoot the messenger]

Interesting but maybe they just got that from the papers.

3 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I dont know that Martin feeds off scraps. What Martin lacks is pace. Linking with Ince who certainly does have pace doesnt always work that well. Mind you they have 17 goals between them which aint bad really but we do seem still to be to lacking something up front.

You do not need pace to be a good striker. He doesn't lack pace, he doesn't need pace.

In fact I am not going to go into another rant about it, just post my previous one up

2 hours ago, King Kevin said:

My office is quite near Wolverhampton and the word locally is that he is on his way to Derby .[Don't shoot the messenger]

Interesting....not itk at all but heard Afobes agents at the ground today to try and strike a deal, could be possible that its camaras agent instead though 

Every striker needs that certain edge of pace especially up top alone, his effort this season has been poor for me.

Goes over far too easily, loses the ball and puts his hands on his hips. 

I remember at points last season we saw the very best of him chasing about and closing people down. Just recently he looks disinterested and his performances have gone with that.

Afobe would be a cracking signing for us, him or Austin would have been my two interests for us to improve.

4 minutes ago, Ramble On said:

Every striker needs that certain edge of pace especially up top alone, his effort this season has been poor for me.

Goes over far too easily, loses the ball and puts his hands on his hips. 

I remember at points last season we saw the very best of him chasing about and closing people down. Just recently he looks disinterested and his performances have gone with that.

Afobe would be a cracking signing for us, him or Austin would have been my two interests for us to improve.

Are you talking about Martin here or Afobe?

3 hours ago, King Kevin said:

The guy wants PL football. That's where he wants to end up. Wolves just can't offer him that. At least not in the near future. Just depends where he ends up but I can't see him waiting around to leave in the summer versus now. 

I haven't heard anything about Afobe or any striker for that matter.

Heard the same as SDSR re Camara, but no point in posting what has already been said and what is pretty obvious.

I think we need to be looking at players that have the potential to play in the Premier League and I think Afobe is one of them.

Steve Nicholson has said that there isn't anything in the Afobe story at all, so maybe is a no go.

I personally think he is a very good striker who would improve our forward line no end.

I also agree with another poster who has said that Bent would probably move on if we got Afobe in. Which I couldnt argue with.

I don't think Bent fits in with our style of play at all, infact he is pretty pointless in this side to be honest. He isnt the player he used to be.

We are lacking in the final 3rd imo. Mainly we are lacking pace, a supply line and support to Chris Martin.

Russell's end product is not good enough and Ince isn't at his best on the wing imo.

Would like to see us sign another winger as well as Camara. Gnabry? McManaman? 

4 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Heard the same as SDSR re Camara, but no point in posting what has already been said and what is pretty obvious.

I think we need to be looking at players that have the potential to play in the Premier League and I think Afobe is one of them.

Steve Nicholson has said that there isn't anything in the Afobe story at all, so maybe is a no go.

I personally think he is a very good striker who would improve our forward line no end.

I also agree with another poster who has said that Bent would probably move on if we got Afobe in. Which I couldnt argue with.

I don't think Bent fits in with our style of play at all, infact he is pretty pointless in this side to be honest. He isnt the player he used to be.

We are lacking in the final 3rd imo. Mainly we are lacking pace, a supply line and support to Chris Martin.

Russell's end product is not good enough and Ince isn't at his best on the wing imo.

I'd heard murmurs about McManaman but probably just chit chat.

For the amount of money we'd supposedly have to stump up for Afobe I'd be surprised if it happened this window.

But who knows, magic Mel might do the trick again!

ITK :whistle:

21 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Not that you've just read OB's Twitter re: Gnabry! ITK :whistle:

11 minutes ago, Ramble On said:

I'd heard murmurs about McManaman but probably just chit chat.

For the amount of money we'd supposedly have to stump up for Afobe I'd be surprised if it happened this window.

But who knows, magic Mel might do the trick again!

I would kind of agree with you re the money for Afobe.

But I think most of us said at the start of the season that if we are in a decent position with a chance of automatic promotion then we have got to strengthen in January. 

After that game against Leeds at home in August, I bet not a single one of us thought we would be 2nd in the league on 48 points in January.

We are in such a good position, with such a strong squad. We'd be foolish not to strengthen, with one eye on the premier league now. Because if we don't make it this season. We will next.

Back 4 and keepers are fine. Infact we could probably let a centre half go out on loan. Shotton, Pearce, Buxton all waiting in the wings. Maybe the only area we could do with strengthening across the back 4 is left back cover. Not a replacement for Warnock, cos I think he has been outstanding since coming back into the side. But we do lack cover there.

Midfield. Our midfield is ridiculous for this level imo. Thorne, Johnson, Butterfield, Hendrick, Bryson (almost back in full training) and Hughes back in February. There is gonna be some very talented midfielders, who would walk in to most sides in this division, who won't make our bench. So we clearly do not need any midfielders.

Forward line is the only area we need to strengthen, with in my opinion, 3 players. Russell works his socks off, gets into some great positions, but so often lacks composure when he does. Weimann isn't a winger. Villa fans said it when he signed, and they were right. He never has been a winger. Ince is hot and cold, but on his day can produce a bit of magic. But he is best suited to playing behind the striker. Martin is Martin, yes he isnt in the best form at the minute, but he is so integral to how we play and Bent is just pointless in this side. I don't think he offers us anything when he plays. Im not saying its all down to him. We don't give him any service or play the right balls in to him. I just don't think he fits out system.

We need 2 wingers, with pace, who are direct who can get to the byline and put a decent ball in the box. Full backs hate playing against pace. It is something we lack, massively in the final 3rd.

Archived