Callum McManaman

admira

Frustrating as it might be, Newcastle are entirely within their rights and means.

Parachute payments, 50k crowds, big player sales and FFP rolling over three years means that their spending power is almost limitless at this level.

Aside from the clubs that came down alongside them, their budget is probably (guessing, no figures!) greater than that of the next three or four biggest in the league combined, and even that is likely a conservative estimate.

Having said that, although I was expecting a lot of activity from them in this window, the scale of their transfer business has surprised me both in quantity and quality. I'm not sure the second tier has ever seen anything like it. Perhaps it's just a sign of things to come, with the long predicted parachute payment distortion of the relegated teams actually coming to fruition with the new deal kicking in this season (although Newcastle don't benefit this season)

Obviously, as others have said, they still have to make it work, but it's looking a little ominous...

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

To get out of this league you need a lot of togetherness at a club. Strikes me too big a squad and an unhappy bunch of Tynesiders could prove their downfall. Shame about Callum presuming this is legit.

Said exactly this on another thread a day back.

Bloated squads of Newcastle (and Villa) could yet undermine them, you can't keep everyone happy and trying to chop and change to do so may even cause issues with players knowing their roles, disrupt team pattern etc

Wait until Christmas, a few will be wanting away to play regular. The salaries may be an issue but sometimes the odd football mercenary realises it can be boring when you don't get a kick about with your mates.

That's why I admire the likes of Shotton, twice he's left because he just wanted to stand a chance of playing.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

To get out of this league you need a lot of togetherness at a club. Strikes me too big a squad and an unhappy bunch of Tynesiders could prove their downfall. Shame about Callum presuming this is legit.

I would just put any players that aren't 'together' in the U23s for a month away from the other players.

The problem with footballers today though is they stick together because they know they will get what they want if they do.

7 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

We should go for Albert Admonah if McManaman is going to Newcastle. Experienced at this level, was v good last season, right footed (like McManaman). Need to shift Russell and probably Blackman first though.

I think villa have just about got this one from bora 

Archived