Depression, anxiety, stress and other related issues

Mostyn6

On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:38, Moist One said:

Now is the time of year my mood traditionally drops to a mild misery. Leaving the house when it’s dark and leaving work in the dark, combined with the thoughts of another lonely Christmas trying to avoid being a burden on people but wanting interaction with them all adds up for a lengthy spell of a face like a slapped arse. 

I invited @Ashz09 out for a beer a couple of weeks back Most. So far we've not got round to it but you do know the offer always extends to you and always would be open.

I'm in a similar boat over Christmas pal, I've never liked it for me, when I was a kid Christmas was a horrible scary time and I've never got over that.

I've always made the effort and joined in  but inside felt like I've only ever put up with it for the benefit of those I love.

In terms of feeling lonely, I've chosen not to get back on the relationship trail (something weak about believing in the one being the one and if the one isn't the one then everything is wrong kind of way). The only time it hits me is Christmas dinner, I like being alone every other day of the year.

I'd love to meet you at some point pal, have wanted to for a while, ever since we stopped fighting over football views and I started reading what you wrote without jumping to pre-conceived ideas of what I thought you meant.

You're a good lad Moist One, with a good heart. If you fancy getting merry and chatting b******* for a couple of hours, December or any other time, drop me a pm.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently undergoing a 7 week course of group CBT, dont know if anyone else has experience of these sessions but I come away feeling awful.

Keep thinking one week i will suddenly feel great but doesnt seem to be the case.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I am currently undergoing a 7 week course of group CBT, dont know if anyone else has experience of these sessions but I come away feeling awful.

Keep thinking one week i will suddenly feel great but doesnt seem to be the case.

What do these courses entail?

If you don’t mind me asking?

Edited by coneheadjohn
Forgot my manners

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I’d like to comment but it would be inappropriate given my total lack of knowledge on it. I’m guessing the T in CBT is therapy.

13 hours ago, Moist One said:

I’d like to comment but it would be inappropriate given my total lack of knowledge on it. I’m guessing the T in CBT is therapy.

11 hours ago, Boycie said:

Is the B behaviour?

11 hours ago, bigbadbob said:

Is the c cognitive?

Is that what its supposed to be? That makes more sense, I asked for a CBT course and have spent the last 7 weeks riding round on a motorbike, no wonder its doing me no good i dont even like them :)

It is Cognitive Behaviour Therapy really.

Edited by Sith Happens

16 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I have a good friend who is a qualified CBT therapist. I can ask her if you like?

I know a few people who have had CBT (Not from my friend I hasten to add) for things like health anxiety (hypochondria as your nan might say) and dealing with chronic long term illnesses/disabilities. They have all found them really useful, but also said that they are hard-going as you have to face your issues full on and learn to deal with them. How many sessions have you had?

13 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

What do these courses entail?

If you don’t mind me asking?

Its all about looking at reasons we suffer stress and anxiety, worry etc and how we can manage them.

I have found it difficult as I think all of us in the group are there because we have problems but the reasons are all different.

Some people get very upset during them and I find this really difficult to cope with and it really puts me on a downer from then on for a few days.

I think they are good and will work for some people and the people running them are really good but I feel i probably need something more one on one.

It might just be me not dealing with the course very well, but i suffer from massive spells of fatigue which is proper fatigue not just tiredness and you are given 'homework' and i just cant be bothered to do it as i have work to contend with then i sort of fluff my way through it the next time im there.

An example of why i think im different to the others there is most people have different problems, they might be problems facing people or going outside or whatever, wheras i think most of mine stem from my medical problems and the knock on effect it has on my life. So one way of coping given is if you are stressed at the thought of facing a certain thing, like being with people, or going out is build a planner where you set a target over a number of weeks or months where do you a little bit extra each time to help you.

But one of my great stresses is to do with my medical condition, what my latest blood results will be like, if i have a proecedure booked in that i am dreading, and i just cant see how that sort of approach can stop me being stressed about it. That probably sounds to you bad as i know your lad is going through far worse than me and can only imagine how he must feel (and you and your family).

I dont know if that makes any sense, it doesnt always to me.

24 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

I have a good friend who is a qualified CBT therapist. I can ask her if you like?

I know a few people who have had CBT (Not from my friend I hasten to add) for things like health anxiety (hypochondria as your nan might say) and dealing with chronic long term illnesses/disabilities. They have all found them really useful, but also said that they are hard-going as you have to face your issues full on and learn to deal with them. How many sessions have you had?

6 so far.

I hadn't realised that it was group CBT. I've only ever known people have 1:1 sessions. It sounds crap from the way you explain it - and totally unsuitable for your circumstances. Was this referred by your GP? If so then get back on to him and explain everything you've just shared here.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Its all about looking at reasons we suffer stress and anxiety, worry etc and how we can manage them.

I have found it difficult as I think all of us in the group are there because we have problems but the reasons are all different.

Some people get very upset during them and I find this really difficult to cope with and it really puts me on a downer from then on for a few days.

I think they are good and will work for some people and the people running them are really good but I feel i probably need something more one on one.

It might just be me not dealing with the course very well, but i suffer from massive spells of fatigue which is proper fatigue not just tiredness and you are given 'homework' and i just cant be bothered to do it as i have work to contend with then i sort of fluff my way through it the next time im there.

An example of why i think im different to the others there is most people have different problems, they might be problems facing people or going outside or whatever, wheras i think most of mine stem from my medical problems and the knock on effect it has on my life. So one way of coping given is if you are stressed at the thought of facing a certain thing, like being with people, or going out is build a planner where you set a target over a number of weeks or months where do you a little bit extra each time to help you.

But one of my great stresses is to do with my medical condition, what my latest blood results will be like, if i have a proecedure booked in that i am dreading, and i just cant see how that sort of approach can stop me being stressed about it. That probably sounds to you bad as i know your lad is going through far worse than me and can only imagine how he must feel (and you and your family).

I dont know if that makes any sense, it doesnt always to me.

I really appreciate you sharing that.

In fact this morning I was going to apologise for asking you.

Your situation though different is no less serious than Joel’s and is probably similar in a lot of ways,

Joel’s last attempt on his own life was after his 2016 surgery and was partly down to him not being able to take anymore of what he was going through and not seeing an end to it.

As you say worrying about a medical condition,stressing about results and treatment are things I have learnt how to deal with but have little understanding of because even though I have been there,I have not personally been through it.

What you are having to deal with is something so personal it’s difficult to imagine anyone grasping it.

What’s going on with your condition,if you don’t mind me asking?

Edited by coneheadjohn

40 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

I hadn't realised that it was group CBT. I've only ever known people have 1:1 sessions. It sounds crap from the way you explain it - and totally unsuitable for your circumstances. Was this referred by your GP? If so then get back on to him and explain everything you've just shared here.

It was my GP yes, she didnt decide what was needed, she gave me a number which i called and then they said i should do group CBT.

Its my last session next week and they are going to discuss other options for those that feel they need more help. I think im going to let it run its course and take it from there.

I think the course is good but its really hard when we all have different issues.

10 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

I really appreciate you sharing that.

In fact this morning I was going to apologise for asking you.

Your situation though different is no less serious than Joel’s and is probably similar in a lot of ways,

Joel’s last attempt on his own life was after his 2016 surgery and was partly down to him not being able to take anymore of what he was going through and not seeing an end to it.

As you say worrying about a medical condition,stressing about results and treatment are things I have learnt how to do with but have little understanding of because even though I have been there,I have not personally been through it.

What you are having to deal with is something so personal it’s difficult to imagine anyone grasping it.

What’s going on with your condition,if you don’t mind me asking?

I have to fill a form in each week and state if i have ever had thoughts about ending my life, fortunately its not something thats ever crossed my mind which is good.

My condition is a type of blood cancer, they are very rare and i got diagnosed 4 years ago.

Basically the issue i have is my bone marrow makes too many red blood cells, amongst other things going on, this causes knock on issues as i have a massively enlarged spleen and as a result this puts pressure on my liver and I have varices in the lining of my stomach,

I was actually anaemic when i was diagnosed which for someone who produces to many red blood cells is odd, but because of the varices being there i had some bleeding from them. When they did my first endoscopy to see if i had a bleed it was panic stations and i was asked by a number of people if i had alcohol problems and still do to this day, which annoys me as they should really know they are caused by my condition, I do also have elevated liver counts too although i have taken a lot of steps to reduce these and they are currently not bad. 4 years ago i had to have a transjugular liver biopsy and im a 40+ year old man and had a bit of a breakdown in the hospital and got very emotional about it all but thankfully everthing was alright with my liver.

My condition is managable, if i get to the point i do have too many red blood cells they will do a phlebotomoy but ive never had to do that as i think my varices kep my bloods down to start with and now im on meds to control it.

The issues i could face is if my bone marrow scars up too much then it will actually do the opposite and produce not enough of anything. They actually misdiagnosed me with this but it was understandable due to being anaemic and also had a bone marrow biopsy which did show a level of scarring. This scared me to death as i did what everyone does and went online to read stuff about life expectancy of 5 years etc.

I dont mind talking about it, it gets it off my chest really.  At the moment my bloods are fairly stable which is good.

Cheers for that @Paul71,made me cry reading it(big fairy that I am).

People always talk crap and think they are medical experts I really don’t discuss things with anyone other than on here or a few on twitter,which is strange.

And the very mention of an endoscopy makes me wince.

Not sure how I’d cope with all the stuff you’ve got going on.

And I certainly wouldn’t have coped with a fraction of the things Joel’s had done to him.

Anything that gets people talking about is good.

22 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I have to fill a form in each week and state if i have ever had thoughts about ending my life, fortunately its not something thats ever crossed my mind which is good.

My condition is a type of blood cancer, they are very rare and i got diagnosed 4 years ago.

Basically the issue i have is my bone marrow makes too many red blood cells, amongst other things going on, this causes knock on issues as i have a massively enlarged spleen and as a result this puts pressure on my liver and I have varices in the lining of my stomach,

I was actually anaemic when i was diagnosed which for someone who produces to many red blood cells is odd, but because of the varices being there i had some bleeding from them. When they did my first endoscopy to see if i had a bleed it was panic stations and i was asked by a number of people if i had alcohol problems and still do to this day, which annoys me as they should really know they are caused by my condition, I do also have elevated liver counts too although i have taken a lot of steps to reduce these and they are currently not bad. 4 years ago i had to have a transjugular liver biopsy and im a 40+ year old man and had a bit of a breakdown in the hospital and got very emotional about it all but thankfully everthing was alright with my liver.

My condition is managable, if i get to the point i do have too many red blood cells they will do a phlebotomoy but ive never had to do that as i think my varices kep my bloods down to start with and now im on meds to control it.

The issues i could face is if my bone marrow scars up too much then it will actually do the opposite and produce not enough of anything. They actually misdiagnosed me with this but it was understandable due to being anaemic and also had a bone marrow biopsy which did show a level of scarring. This scared me to death as i did what everyone does and went online to read stuff about life expectancy of 5 years etc.

I dont mind talking about it, it gets it off my chest really.  At the moment my bloods are fairly stable which is good.

Wow - that's some heavy stuff.

I find it astonishing that they though group CBT was appropriate

which trust is this? Derbyshire? Maybe they have tight budgets, but as I say, all my friends who have had it have had 1:1 sessions  -all in Derbyshire. And none of them had issues as complex as what you describe.

Stick with it and keep pushing for better help when these sessions end

14 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Wow - that's some heavy stuff.

I find it astonishing that they though group CBT was appropriate

which trust is this? Derbyshire? Maybe they have tight budgets, but as I say, all my friends who have had it have had 1:1 sessions  -all in Derbyshire. And none of them had issues as complex as what you describe.

Stick with it and keep pushing for better help when these sessions end

Will do, yes its in derbyshire.

Will see how it goes.