Are Villa on track to beat our record?

Jon_Grooves

10 hours ago, steve brummie said:

Thanks Hants, I also forgot to mention that we were first winners of the Watney Cup in 71 and in 72 we also won the Texaco Cup. Many of our team that played then went on to double European Cup victory with a club whose name escapes me! Not!!

Was the texaco cup the Anglo Scottish tournament or was that a different thing?

I vaguely recall us beating Airdrie in something which might be the win you've mentioned. 

Pity a lot of our triumphs are in defunct competitons?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Is it better or worse to break that record as a newly promoted club or as an established prem side?

there was a perfect storm of contributing factors, but we were still able to get promoted, we weren't total **** at the end of one season, but by a few games into te new season, we were league 1 class, men against boys. I remember the being at the first game against Pompey. We drew, and you would have thought a general wave of optimism might have pushed on a bit from there. 

Anyway, my point is, can we be forgiven for being a newly promoted club, punching above out weight? Is it worse that Villa are meant to be established? Yes they've been struggling, but performing to a level that can be compared with our season is really pathetic. 

Of course we can be forgiven but for those of us who witnessed that season it will never be forgotten!

Villa are performing nowhere near as bad as we did that season, when shipping 4, 5 or 6 goals became the norm

6 minutes ago, Mick Harford said:

Some stupid idiots missed it as well, one lad a ST holder got a ticket for his mate and they were going to go, but decided to watch it on Setanta instead and get drunk at home.

Missed the only win all season :(

Definitely not me.

100% someone else.

I missed it - I was working in Ireland, and watched it in the Cat and Cage, Dublin. I was ridiculously optimistic after that win - the 5-0 defeat to Arsenal soon had me looking at things much more realistically.

5 minutes ago, eddie said:

I missed it - I was working in Ireland, and watched it in the Cat and Cage, Dublin. I was ridiculously optimistic after that win - the 5-0 defeat to Arsenal soon had me looking at things much more realistically.

I actually take it as a badge of honour now, I was never optimistic. We were actually saying on teh minibus back from Wembley that it didn't matter if we lost every game in the PL as we would be financially secure, if only we had known!

But it's ace when a thread about low points pops up on Reddit or something and you are able to say that you were a ST holder that season, not many people get to see history being made in the flesh.

3 minutes ago, Mick Harford said:

I actually take it as a badge of honour now, I was never optimistic. We were actually saying on teh minibus back from Wembley that it didn't matter if we lost every game in the PL as we would be financially secure, if only we had known!

But it's ace when a thread about low points pops up on Reddit or something and you are able to say that you were a ST holder that season, not many people get to see history being made in the flesh.

Yes, in my case a season ticket holder who missed our only win.

On 24/12/2015 at 14:05, eddie said:

I was working in Cork. I was optimistic too. Thought we could go on a bit of a run. :) 

36 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Setanta weren't it? Their first ever PL game too, and they missed the only goal. No wonder they didn't last long

yea , i knew as soon as i posted it wasn't Sky and knew someone would correct me  ,;)

i watched it in a pub , and thought wtf !!..

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 01:23, toddy said:

Having watched the Newcastle game I'd have thought they might hit 20 + points this season

So No.

I still have both games against Newcastle on my HDD. If you judged our season by the games against Newcastle, we weren't the awful, dispirited rabble we were either.

4 of 6 points v Newcastle (and led for much of the second game too) equates (mind-bogglingly, really) to 7 of 132 v everyone else...

I am not sure our record will ever be beaten as the mindset at our club caused the problems..I remember on MOTD when we had literally just changed the manager he said that part of his role was preparing for the Championship - so what did we expect with that positive attitude..I could understand if he had called it a contingency plan but he didnt..

4 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Blame Billy Davies the Scottish dwarf for this. 

Really? I feel there were plenty more to blame than him.

Everything was wrong about the club at the time. But I simply won't forgive Jewell. He couldn't have been worse if he tried. Any other manager in the football league at the time would have done better than him.

Hell, we could have gotten John Gregory back and we still would have bettered his points tally.

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Really? I feel there were plenty more to blame than him.

Everything was wrong about the club at the time. But I simply won't forgive Jewell. He couldn't have been worse if he tried. Any other manager in the football league at the time would have done better than him.

Hell, we could have gotten John Gregory back and we still would have bettered his points tally.

John Gregory could have played and bettered the points...

Billy Davies had no idea of what was needed. He was completely out his depth but too arrogant to admit it. His signings were awful and Paul Jewell was clueless as well. It was a perfect storm of wankness.

4 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

John Gregory could have played and bettered the points...

Billy Davies had no idea of what was needed. He was completely out his depth but too arrogant to admit it. His signings were awful and Paul Jewell was clueless as well. It was a perfect storm of wankness.

Billy D was out of his depth, but at least he had some sort of idea of the strenghts of his players.

Jewell coming in and immediately shipping out Jones, Oakley and Howard - our three best players and among the most experienced - was utter madness. 

And his signings in January. There aren't enough superlatives to describe how bad they were.

9 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Billy D was out of his depth, but at least he had some sort of idea of the strenghts of his players.

Jewell coming in and immediately shipping out Jones, Oakley and Howard - our three best players and among the most experienced - was utter madness. 

And his signings in January. There aren't enough superlatives to describe how bad they were.

True.

Archived