Are Villa on track to beat our record?

Jon_Grooves

20 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Out of interest what date was that squad list cut at?

Matt Oakley scored our first goal that season against pompey and Steve Howard played a few days later against man citeh. 

And didn't stubbs get crocked before the season started? 

And where's Andy Griffin? 

Minor gripes only. Doesn't detract from the sheer head in hands nature of that mob of players. ???

19 hours ago, 11carl00 said:

I think it's the end of season squad. Oakley, Howard and a few were sold in January. I believe Stubbs got injured in the build up to the following season

Stubbs was injured in the first game of the following season against Donny, McEveley came on and within 30 seconds made a mistake for us to concede the only goal of the game. (I think something like 9 of the first 10 goals we conceded that season were from McEveley mistakes/poor play)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Surely this is the end of season squad. its definately after the transfer window.

As you said no Oakley, Howard or Griffin, but people like Villa, Savage, Ghally and Alan Stubbs are in there.

<shudder>

Whilst Villa will beat our record, if anything they should learn from us.

Prepare for next season now.

Spending to stay up, when no quality player will join you, knowing they will have a wage reduction for the rest of the contract after the next half season is up, means you won't get anyone in of good enough quality. Potential targets are likely to want to remain bit part players of other clubs, or stay at their respective championship clubs rather than go to Villa.

14 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

You can go and sit on the naughty step for that alone.

IM prepared to lie down across two naughty steps for saying, despite his Red connections he got us up, and I think the team he got sacked with was infinately better than the tripe o star Jewell tried to bring in.

59 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

In Billies defence Lewis was a world beater for preston and ran rings round us when he played. But for us, he was simply hopless, dont think he beat a man all season.

I do not accept that argument.  Furthermore, if you continue along this course of reasoning I will hold you in contempt!!!

EDDIE F**KIN LEWIS!!!

Alan Stubbs hold the remarkable achievement of playing in the two worst Premier League sides of all time. He was with Sunderland the year they broke the record with 15 points.

That season from us was the perfect storm; terrible players, one manager deliberately derailing us and then another doing it by accident, and poisonous characters behind the scenes - all in the season where the Premier League really was the best league in the world.

We'd get more than 11 points with a team of similar ability in the Premier League now.

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

In Billies defence Lewis was a world beater for preston and ran rings round us when he played. But for us, he was simply hopless, dont think he beat a man all season.

He did once, I am sure of it. I remember like a massive thread was created at the time. 

8 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I do not accept that argument.  Furthermore, if you continue along this course of reasoning I will hold you in contempt!!!

EDDIE F**KIN LEWIS!!!

If a few more talented (and I use the word talented loosely) had put as much effort in as Lewis did maybe we could have achieved a few more points. Was not his fault he signed and picked to play. Would you turn the opportunity down?

1 minute ago, rynny said:

If a few more talented (and I use the word talented loosely) had put as much effort in as Lewis did maybe we could have achieved a few more points. Was not his fault he signed and picked to play. Would you turn the opportunity down?

I'm currently sat in a office who's best days were 20 years ago, with a bunch of old gits who never talk about football other than the guy from Loughborough who says "Leicester are still doing ok aren't they" every week.  Of course I wouldn't turn the opportunity down...  I think the lack of effort from players was an extension of the managers complete indifference to his job.  He was angling for an exit the minute the play off final whistle blew...

3 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I'm currently sat in a office who's best days were 20 years ago, with a bunch of old gits who never talk about football other than the guy from Loughborough who says "Leicester are still doing ok aren't they" every week.  Of course I wouldn't turn the opportunity down...  I think the lack of effort from players was an extension of the managers complete indifference to his job.  He was angling for an exit the minute the play off final whistle blew...

I completely agree, think there are other players that would be more worthwhile of having a discord with than Eddie Lewis, 'tis all.

On 20/12/2015 at 22:04, steve brummie said:

4 of our 11 points were against Newcastle.

Another proud record the Rams hold is worst defeat (6-0 I reckon) in an FA Cup Final although I sit to be corrected on that.

We are also the only team to win the League And Central League Championship in a single season so it's not all bad.

And yes, there was football (or, in America, soccer) prior to the stupid change of name to the Premiership with only 20 teams in it, most of whom now play boring survival football!

You are quite right Steve. 1903 to bury I think.

As well as fewest points we have the fewest wins, worst goal difference,  fewest goals scored,  earliest confirmed relegation. 

And longest time  (almost a year) without a win.

As has been said elsewhere it needed a storm of contributory factors the like of which were not seen before or since. 

Is it better or worse to break that record as a newly promoted club or as an established prem side?

there was a perfect storm of contributing factors, but we were still able to get promoted, we weren't total **** at the end of one season, but by a few games into te new season, we were league 1 class, men against boys. I remember the being at the first game against Pompey. We drew, and you would have thought a general wave of optimism might have pushed on a bit from there. 

Anyway, my point is, can we be forgiven for being a newly promoted club, punching above out weight? Is it worse that Villa are meant to be established? Yes they've been struggling, but performing to a level that can be compared with our season is really pathetic. 

3 hours ago, HantsRam said:

You are quite right Steve. 1903 to bury I think.

As well as fewest points we have the fewest wins, worst goal difference,  fewest goals scored,  earliest confirmed relegation. 

And longest time  (almost a year) without a win.

As has been said elsewhere it needed a storm of contributory factors the like of which were not seen before or since. 

Thanks Hants, I also forgot to mention that we were first winners of the Watney Cup in 71 and in 72 we also won the Texaco Cup. Many of our team that played then went on to double European Cup victory with a club whose name escapes me! Not!!

Archived