Chris Martins celebration

MuespachRam

To be honest if he keeps scoring I'd be OK with him backhanding me across the face after each one. The world is a fairly foul mouthed place nowadays, heard a youngster (12/13 at most) call his friend a c*** for not sharing some chocolate, just have to move along with it. 

Won't be long before swear words aren't even categorised as offensive. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pressure on that penalty was immense, it wasn't a team goal. You need a certain mindset to take a penalty like that...lots of players have bottled it across the world and you can see it in their passive approach. He built himself up...battered it into the corner and then let out a 'you f***ing have that' roar. Rather that than he does tentative side foot and apologises!

10 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

The pressure on that penalty was immense, it wasn't a team goal. You need a certain mindset to take a penalty like that...lots of players have bottled it across the world and you can see it in their passive approach. He built himself up...battered it into the corner and then let out a 'you f***ing have that' roar. Rather that than he does tentative side foot and apologises!

He does quite clearly just say "*** Off." lol. Twice, the second time kicking the side netting. As I've already posted, I couldn't be bothered less by it though. 

It was actually quite a privilege to watch Chris undergoing the process of Scream Therapy on Saturday:

The patient recalls and reenacts a particularly disturbing past experience usually occurring early in life [ie not scoring for the previous 6 games] and expresses normally repressed anger or frustration especially through spontaneous and unrestrained screams, hysteria, or violence.

2 hours ago, unclej said:

Yes, rather bizarre to say the least. What must have been going through his head when he put that one away.  His reaction must have been one of relief but no one can condone him shrugging off Russel to deliver one of the most extraordinary outbursts of oral abuse against his own fans.  His overall performance during the game must have been frustrating for him, having been overlooked for a penalty and having balls bounce off him rather than him laying them off, and his relatively (for him) long period without scoring must have added to that.  We sometimes forget these players are still kids really and its difficult to know what he can actually hear from the crowd during his game to feel so offended.

Martin is one player who can contribute the least to be awarded the greatest accolades. Being in the right place at the right time for the simplest of side-foots into the goal is his job.  He needs to stick to it and not revert to the thugish behavior he had at Norwich.  Swearing at his own crowd is something Terry would do. He is far better than that.

If he bangs in the winner again against my home town club on Saturday, I for one will be more than happy

Put it this way, if you supported him all game and encouraged him, his profanity was not aimed at you. Don't worry.

If you gave him abuse, then you can **** off. That's Chris, me, and every other sensible Derby fan telling you that. **** off.

I wonder if the delicate flowers objecting to Martin venting his spleen would have been as reserved in their use of expletives if Martin had missed?

Just now, eddie said:

I wonder if the delicate flowers objecting to Martin venting his spleen would have been as reserved in their use of expletives if Martin had missed?

Chris Martin missing does not bear thinking about. Imagine the super rams posts!

12 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Not sure if this is mentioned anywhere else but j have just seen it, rather bizarre to say the least, seemed to be aiming a few X rated choice words towards the crowd behind that goal....

All he said was Fking come on that's all. 

I've not seen anyone on here or several other sites saying that they're offended by Martin swearing. There is just some concern at what made him swear. I could well have been a heat of the moment thing and not even aimed at anyone, but it could also have been an indication that all is not ideal in the world of the worm worrier. Generally, it wouldn't be ideal for your skipper and centre-forward to be unhappy at the club. However, Martin seems to play better when he moans a lot, so maybe in this case it's good news.

Also worth keeping in mind, on a more positive note, there's a general way of thinking that "penalties don't count" when breaking a goal drought or giving a striker credit. I think considering that the keeper guessed correctly, and given the importance of the pen and the pressure on Chrissy, we can give him credit for this one.

Fantastic penalty that he can take a lot of heart from. Well done Chris Martin.

If you want to read idiotic comments on Martin then Derby's Facebook page is the place to go. On one post I think all but a couple of the comments were about dropping Martin cos he's "lazy and dives." None of them mentioned the penalty he'd scored (which was an excellent penalty btw) as well as his general play. If only there was a time when Martin had been injured so we could see how much we'd miss him, maybe people would think otherwise...

I hope next time he scores he does behaves in the proper manner. Back in  the good old days players would doff their caps to all the gentleman in the popside throwing flowers onto the pitch. 

Why, I remember a wonderful late equaliser by Steve Bloomer and he came over to shake all of our hands personally. Stopping on occasion to chat to small children. 

I think what we saw on Saturday was a transfer request. Can't see him being here in February 

We're lucky to have him. Been watching centre forwards at Derby since John O'hare and is up with the best of them. Really gifted and with brilliant reading of the game and awareness of where team mates will be in half a second. This was typified on about 24 seconds with his lay off to Tom Ince on Saturday. Please, fellow Rams DO NOT get on his back.

Archived