Promotion rivals thread

sage

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I'll be pleasantly surprised if we make the playoffs in all honesty.

Sheffield Wednesday will finish above us. As will Burnley, Hull and Boro.

I think we'll do well to finish above Ipswich too. Let's hope Brighton mess up, otherwise we'll fall short.

Haven't you been mocking Sheff Wed fans for 3 or 4 months for saying they have a great squad?!

Hope your prediction is as good as most of your transfer predictions!

One result will break the curse - whether you or Boro are the first to pull it off will have a bearing on the title race.  The longer a run goes the harder it becomes to break from, but all it takes is one win.

As far as I'm concerned autos are still between Boro, Hull, Yourselves, Burnley & Brighton (in that order).  January transfer dealings won't have that much effect IMO, at least not immediately.  

I don't see any team as having decisively strengthened - Rhodes is a goalscorer but I'm not sure he's the best fit for Boro, Ramirez is quite lazy and greedy by all accounts.  Look at Bent and Ince's goalscoring form in your collapse last season, Rhodes & Ramirez look eerily similar to me.  But then I'm ever the optimist.

2 minutes ago, ClaretMatt said:

One result will break the curse - whether you or Boro are the first to pull it off will have a bearing on the title race.  The longer a run goes the harder it becomes to break from, but all it takes is one win.

As far as I'm concerned autos are still between Boro, Hull, Yourselves, Burnley & Brighton (in that order).  January transfer dealings won't have that much effect IMO, at least not immediately.  

I don't see any team as having decisively strengthened - Rhodes is a goalscorer but I'm not sure he's the best fit for Boro, Ramirez is quite lazy and greedy by all accounts.  Look at Bent and Ince's goalscoring form in your collapse last season, Rhodes & Ramirez look eerily similar to me.  But then I'm ever the optimist.

Tbh I think Hull have finally found their stride and will continue at a similar pace. I'm not as scared of Boro, I think anyone you've mentioned could take the second spot, assuming we sort ourselves out. 

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Tbh I think Hull have finally found their stride and will continue at a similar pace. I'm not as scared of Boro, I think anyone you've mentioned could take the second spot, assuming we sort ourselves out. 

Anyone can have a blip and I don't think a teams' stride can last until the end of the season.  We're all going to drop points and I don't think there's much in it between all of us.  Hull and Boro have a slight edge but a couple of results and it all changes.

Autos are almost certainly between the 5 teams now but then again I wouldn't be willing to put money on that.

4 minutes ago, ClaretMatt said:

Anyone can have a blip and I don't think a teams' stride can last until the end of the season.  We're all going to drop points and I don't think there's much in it between all of us.  Hull and Boro have a slight edge but a couple of results and it all changes.

Autos are almost certainly between the 5 teams now but then again I wouldn't be willing to put money on that.

Suspect you're right Matt - the supposedly "easier" games against lower opposition start toughening up as they start scrapping for survival points so there will be more twists and turns along the way. Who for example, would imagine Brizzle to turn Boro over twice?

32 minutes ago, ClaretMatt said:

We don't do optimism on here Matt. 

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I'll be pleasantly surprised if we make the playoffs in all honesty.

Sheffield Wednesday will finish above us. As will Burnley, Hull and Boro.

I think we'll do well to finish above Ipswich too. Let's hope Brighton mess up, otherwise we'll fall short.

You forgot Brum, BV

Realistically, the last five should have produced the following points total -

Leeds (A) - 1 or 3 points ( they beat us at home)

Boro (A) - 0 points (they are clearly better than us)

Reading (H) - 1 or 3 points (they are something of a bogey team)

Brum (H) - 1 point (they are an excellent away team)

Burnley (A) - 0 points (did anyone really believe that we would beat them?)

This was a tough run of games but we did not do ourselves any favours.

Worst scenario was 3 points, actual scenario was 2 points

Southampton mate told me that the main criticism of Ramirez was the fact that he was to lightweight for the physicality of the league so I doubt he will do any better in the Championship.

Rhodes has scored a lot less goals since Lambert has come in as the team now isn't built around him, he doesn't perform well at international level for this very reason.

De Laet is a very good RB, but they already had a decent one in Nsue and LB is their issue area now that Friend is injured.

De Sart is rated, but I doubt Karanka will break up the partnership of Clayton and Leabitter and Enrique Sola has a poor goal scoring record as a striker and I doubt he will get much games with 'Boro having Rhodes, Nugent and Kike already as strikers.

I'd be a bit wary if I was a Boro fan.

Surely Boro's strength lies with them having a settled, established side who draw out predictable, strong results. Karanka has gradually taken much the same squad from mid-table to promotion challengers. Make no mistake, the last two matches were tight losses and small blips. Their need for a striker was perhaps obvious (even if I have my doubts about whether Rhodes will fit), but these other signings could well upset their dressing room and affect their consistency. Be interesting to follow. On a personal level I'm hoping they crash and burn due to an incredibly arrogant Boro fan I know saying all season that promotion is nailed on. I'd love for him to be wrong.

Archived