Promotion rivals thread

sage

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm watching Hull v Burnley.

It's like watching paint dry. It's all too tactical, both teams scared to lose. There have been no chances of note, though Hull went close with a long ranger + a header from a corner.

It's one of those games. It'll be settled by a mistake or set-piece.

Hull 3-0 Burnley 

Ipswich 2-1 QPR

Sheff Wed 3-0 Birmingham

Favourite reaction of the day comes from a Cardiff fan following their loss to MK Dons (2-1)

I have nothing against Burnley, in fact I quite admire them as a club. But Dyche is an absolute tool and it amuses me when they lose just to hear his excuses.

In Dyche's mind Hull's third didn't count, they look like scoring everytime they go forward at Turf Moor and they had the best chance of the game at KC Stadium.

By best chance, he means a hopeful punt into the area which deflects back to Gray who slashed wide. Yeh, like that was a better chance than Clucas who scored from 6 yards out dead centre of the goal after a cut-back.

Oh yeh, Hull's third didn't count. Dyche said so himself.

Burnley manager Sean Dyche: "I think until the first goal there wasn't much in it. After the first goal we had the best chance and we didn't take it.

"They got a second goal and after that we've had to throw caution to the wind. The second goal is a real killer. I write off the third goal because by then we were chasing the game.

"At home we look like we score every time we have a chance, but not as much away from home. We need to create more, particularly on the road."

Burnley have conceded 10 more goals than Derby so far this season. I reckon they should look for an experienced and calming centre half to sure up their defence. Someone with Premier League experience so he won't need replacing if they go up and it would be ideal if they could sign one from a promotion rival so it weakens them.

Anyone got any ideas of who they could go for? 

3 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

Burnley have conceded 10 more goals than Derby so far this season. I reckon they should look for an experienced and calming centre half to sure up their defence. Someone with Premier League experience so he won't need replacing if they go up and it would be ideal if they could sign one from a promotion rival so it weakens them.

Anyone got any ideas of who they could go for? 

Is it someone from top of the league or something? :ph34r:

Burnley displayed such negativity against Hull. They tried to play defensive and restrict them, but they got overpowered in midfield and never looked like scoring.

I can't see how they will challenge for top two this year. They'll get plenty of wins at Turf Moor through dogged determination, but their away form will prevent them from gaining automatic promotion.

Brighton are struggling with injuries. Everything seems like a real grind  for them despite that amazing unbeaten record. Now they've been caught, I can't see them putting a winning run together to haul themselves above two of the top three.

I'd make Hull and Boro our biggest challengers for the top two - and both look capable of getting 90+ points. 

Hull losing, get in!

I'd include Sheff Wed as promotion rivals too, as we could easily finish in the play-offs and face them. On that basis I urge everyone to take a look at this thread, and cringe at the embarrassment of the excitement they are getting over being in the top half of the table.

For a side who haven't been in the play-off places once this season, it really is quite embarrassing.

http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/232103-table-gazers-thread-201516-season/page-22

31 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Hull losing, get in!

I'd include Sheff Wed as promotion rivals too, as we could easily finish in the play-offs and face them. On that basis I urge everyone to take a look at this thread, and cringe at the embarrassment of the excitement they are getting over being in the top half of the table.

For a side who haven't been in the play-off places once this season, it really is quite embarrassing.

http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/232103-table-gazers-thread-201516-season/page-22

I read their forum quite a look as a source for work.

And I must say I've never come across fans quite like them. It makes me actually appreciate Brighton much more, at last they took a realsitic approach to their amazing start.

Looking at that Wednesday forum and a good number haven't ruled out top two, feel they've got the best squad in the league and are due to beat somebody six or seven nil.

After Derby played them, one even went as far as saying that only one or two of our players would get in their starting XI, while naming Barry Bannan the best midfielder in the league.

I get that they're excited as they've been poor for such a long time. But it reminds me of those latter years under Clough where signing Johnny Russell got the sort of reaction it would had we signed Lionel Messi.

It's what happens when you've been so bad for so long. So I'll allow Wednesday their moment.

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

I read their forum quite a look as a source for work.

And I must say I've never come across fans quite like them. It makes me actually appreciate Brighton much more, at last they took a realsitic approach to their amazing start.

Looking at that Wednesday forum and a good number haven't ruled out top two, feel they've got the best squad in the league and are due to beat somebody six or seven nil.

After Derby played them, one even went as far as saying that only one or two of our players would get in their starting XI, while naming Barry Bannan the best midfielder in the league.

I get that they're excited as they've been poor for such a long time. But it reminds me of those latter years under Clough where signing Johnny Russell got the sort of reaction it would had we signed Lionel Messi.

It's what happens when you've been so bad for so long. So I'll allow Wednesday their moment.

That's what I feel as well. They must have had it so bad that currently being 7th is as good as being top for them. I remember when we were finishing around 19th place I was quite excited one season when we were 8th, but eventually dropped off.

Then again there's being excited you're higher than you usually are, and there's posting screenshots of the table every single week so you can again leave several wet patches on your boxers because your side yet again remains in 7th place.

I don't rate Sheff Wed. At all. If, God forbid, we did end up in the playoffs then I'd be delighted to get them in either the SFs or at Wembley. 

I consider Boro rivals, and Hull. Possibly Burnley, but none of the rest. If we don't finish above everyone outside of that group, at the very least, then we want shooting.

Perfect 1st half from Boro.... Got Wendies at arms length.... Our lot don't understand we do the same thing... Very similar teams we are.... Great defensively....

Probably be 4-4 on Saturday now.

Dyche after the Bristol win

"We're not the market leaders. We're not the financial powerhouse"

Zzzz 

You're an overrated, whining, hypocritical bell end who's going to get beat in the play offs by a club that's spent less on strikers than you have. 

Mind the gap Jose.

Archived