Promotion rivals thread

sage

6 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Burnley suddenly seven points behind Brighton and five behind Boro with our game to come tomorrow.

Hull six points adrift of Brighton and four adrift of Boro, with our game to come tomorrow.

Brighton are thirteen points ahead of 7th placed Birmingham, so we need automatic if possible, going to be some very tough propositions in the play offs.

Losing a game is a bad thing in this league.

When has losing a game ever been a good thing?

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Burnley suddenly seven points behind Brighton and five behind Boro with our game to come tomorrow.

Hull six points adrift of Brighton and four adrift of Boro, with our game to come tomorrow.

Brighton are thirteen points ahead of 7th placed Birmingham, so we need automatic if possible, going to be some very tough propositions in the play offs.

Losing a game is a bad thing in this league.

While having any lead is a good thing, there is such a long way to go there is no real point in getting worked up by such small margins.

If you're a top team, you should have enough about you to win four or five on the trot and close any gap.

That said, there really isn't anything you can do when other teams are so consistent. Derby could beat our records points tally for this league (85 points) and still quite comfortably miss out if the others keep winning.

It took Derby, getting 32 points from 13 games to get 7 points back off Brighton. Today was looking like the day that we might have a chance to catch them up but they are worthy foes and they postponed that possibility. Burnley will not be fancying their chances of doing the same as they are not playing as well as they were. Hull have lost three in a row, two in the league. They will need to dust themselves down and try very hard to make up the ground. No team is going to do any other any favours. We need to win tomorrow.COYR

Burnley have not played well all season, they've just scraped results either by luck or hard work. At least it apears Brighton actually play well, while the same can be said of Hull.

Boro are another frustrating one. They can win playing well, and they can win playing poorly. When they go a goal behind, it's tough for them but as they've got a decent defence, that rarely happens.

I'd say Boro are the best team in the league when going a goal in-front, but that title actually belongs to us as Derby have won every game in which they've scored first.

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Burnley have not played well all season, they've just scraped results either by luck or hard work. At least it apears Brighton actually play well, while the same can be said of Hull.

Boro are another frustrating one. They can win playing well, and they can win playing poorly. When they go a goal behind, it's tough for them but as they've got a decent defence, that rarely happens.

I'd say Boro are the best team in the league when going a goal in-front, but that title actually belongs to us as Derby have won every game in which they've scored first.

Pretty much agree with all that Bris. Burnley have Vokes to come back into form which may help them.

Time to accept that Brighton are formidable opponents.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.

Brighton's next game at Brentford will be interesting, whiel Hull have got Burnley this weekend.

A Hull/Derby win would see us go nine points clear of Burnley. Which will be quite a nice difference from us trying to catch them in the 2013/14 season.

But I'm actually rooting for Burnley. I see Hull as the greater threat regardless.

Will be interesting to see who does what in January. Brighton reportedly have money to spend, while Sheff Wed have a huge budget according to a few sources - but are they too far behind?

I think Wednesday are too far behind to trouble the top 5.

But I guess a terrific 2nd half of the season could see them get 6th.

If I was a betting man Id put them more likely to finish around 8th.

So many points to play for however, its good to see theres more tougher games this weekend than our boxing day fixture :)

There has been a lot said on some previous posts on our poor 5 game start - but at that point we were only 4 pts behind Boroand 17 games later we are still 2 pts behind them. This does prove that Boro and ourselves are 1 and 2 in the league because will are both the best consistent teams, it does also mean we do need something out of the Jan 2nd game!

I'd like to see a team that haven't got a pot to pi$s in make the playoffs with Burnley just missing out on the final day in 7th.

Not that I mind Burnley as a club or their fans, but I want to see the manager of the club that scrapes in praise his team spirit and say "It's been a big ask to make the playoffs on a shoestring, I mean when you look at Burnley who missed out and what they spent on the likes of Andre Gray..." Meanwhile Sean Dyche's face goes red then purple with rage before his head physically explodes....

13 hours ago, ipad1977 said:

I'd like to see a team that haven't got a pot to pi$s in make the playoffs with Burnley just missing out on the final day in 7th.

Not that I mind Burnley as a club or their fans, but I want to see the manager of the club that scrapes in praise his team spirit and say "It's been a big ask to make the playoffs on a shoestring, I mean when you look at Burnley who missed out and what they spent on the likes of Andre Gray..." Meanwhile Sean Dyche's face goes red then purple with rage before his head physically explodes....

Forest then.

The run they are on at the moment is nothing short of remarkable when they are not allowed to spend a fee of any kind on a player, and cannot even get a loan in which involves a fee. Oliveria, Pinillos,Mills and ward look like stella signings now you realised all were free transfers or loans.

6 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Forest then.

The run they are on at the moment is nothing short of remarkable when they are not allowed to spend a fee of any kind on a player, and cannot even get a loan in which involves a fee. Oliveria, Pinillos,Mills and ward look like stella signings now you realised all were free transfers or loans.

I take it you mean stellar, not cheap, French and pissy.

The gumps tried to buy the dream. Fawaz threw silly money at whoever happened to be available, switched managers every few months and threw more money at it, now they're unbongoed and can't spend the Kuwaiti billions....

Ooooh the grammer police are out!

Have you ever met  B4?

I'm sure you two would get along like a house on fire.

Its a good point on the managers theme though. I read an excellent article in the post a while back probably before they beat us, and were going through a terrible run. The Forest writer was commending Fawaz for not firing Freedman despite him having a worse record than Pearce.

Archived