Sheff Wed v Derby County

Day

3 hours ago, StringerBell said:

Lampard and Gerrard were both clearly better players at the time than, say, Carrick and Barry.

So it was probably a good thing England spent the best part of a decade trying to shoehorn them into the same team I guess?

We only play one striker who lacks pace. It is imperative that Chris Martin is supported by the midfield. Hendrick and Bryson are the best at providing him with it. So there will always be a perfectly sane argument that one or the other should start.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that balance is key. But I think BJ, Thorne and Butterfield is our best three at present, especially as the latter has goals in his game.

I think Hendrick is overrated due to the fact he is a Derby product. If we had bought him for the amount we paid for BJ or JB and he put in the performances he normally does, he'd be branded a waste of money.

I think he is a very good squad player. He'll never become a Premier League player though, sorry he just won't.

I think his biggest problem is he doens't excell in any type of midfield area. He's not a goal scoring midfielder like Bryson, he not a good link-up player like Hughes and he's certainly not a good defensive midfielder like Thorne.

He's average at everything, and we have a better midfielders in each of the important roles of a three-man midfield.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, sage said:

I notice Lees came off after 38 minutes and Hunt came off after 45 minutes. 

That could be another away game against a team minus 2 regular defenders.

Lees injured tonight and think there's no CB available for Sunday game. There are also few more injuries for them likes of Bannan Forestieri Matias Turner 

5 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Lees injured tonight and think there's no CB available for Sunday game. There are also few more injuries for them likes of Bannan Forestieri Matias Turner 

Looked like they moved their full backs into the middle earlier, and played with wingers as wingbacks, could be an inspired attacking move if they line up the same against up on sunday 

My whole point in getting out of the Carling and FA Cups as soon as possible to avoid injuries. If Clement announced that his shadow eleven were playing and the entrance fee reduced it would be ideal. If we get a home game against a lower league club then £10 and £5 will give a big crowd an interesting day out. FA Cup - worst scenario is a long term injury to a key player..

57 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Don't get me wrong, I agree that balance is key. But I think BJ, Thorne and Butterfield is our best three at present, especially as the latter has goals in his game.

I think Hendrick is overrated due to the fact he is a Derby product. If we had bought him for the amount we paid for BJ or JB and he put in the performances he normally does, he'd be branded a waste of money.

I think he is a very good squad player. He'll never become a Premier League player though, sorry he just won't.

I think his biggest problem is he doens't excell in any type of midfield area. He's not a goal scoring midfielder like Bryson, he not a good link-up player like Hughes and he's certainly not a good defensive midfielder like Thorne.

He's average at everything, and we have a better midfielders in each of the important roles of a three-man midfield.

I agree with this. I find Hendrick quite akin to how Paul Green was in many ways. 

15 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Apparently their main defender Kieran Lee left the stadium wearing a protective boot tonight against Stoke and Loovens had to go off injured. 

Thought he did some of those s? You sure it was a protective boot he was wearing and not something else? :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Well i tend to agree but i'm not going to give you a "like" as its a bit too negative

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I know Hendrick has got his detractors. Personally I think he slightly gets a hard time. I've shifted my expectations that he'd become the type of player to dominate a midfield, spraying passes about here there and everywhere. Yet 'Hendrick was anonymous', 'Hendrick couldn't impose himself on the game' are things frequently said about him when in all honesty there are two other centre midfielders whose primary job it is to do that. I'm not saying he can't improve or that he should be hiding from the ball, but his primary strength in our team is to basically use his stamina and pace to be an extra body in midfield when the situation fits and then get up front to become the second striker when attacking. I've also heard people say he's peaked. Most players don't peak until their mid to late 20's so I'm not sure why people think that unless they're clairvoyants.

I know he hasn't scored the goals like Bryson did in 13/14 but I think Hendrick is having a fine season so far for and he's playing with confidence which I don't think has always been the case

And I know what you're saying about him being an academy product making people blinded to his ability but you could just as easily say the same about some of our other midfielders because of the money spent on them.

I like all our midfielders. I just think that the formation and system is more important than playing your 'star players' - as we learned during England's so called golden generation. Every team needs a water carrier. I'm not saying Butterfield and Johnson can't play together, but it's not really how I'd like to see us play. For me it's Thorne at DM. Then one of Butterfield/Johnson/Hughes when he's back. Then one of Hendrick or Bryson. I think that's the best balance.

But if Clement goes with Johnson and Butterfield again I hope they'll do well.

I think this season Hendrick is showing he has the potential to turn into a quality AM player - both for us and for his country. My hope is that he’s someone who requires only a little more time for his natural skill and ability to finally (and consistently) catch up with the awkwardness of his physical development.

Of course, he should never (ever) be allowed to play DM if we want to avoid skid marks on the bed linen…or win.

Just one other point on Hendrick's performance against Hull as a few have mentioned his lack of contribution.

Did anyone take note of how many runs he made off the ball to the wings, specifically the right wing. He drew players off Butterfield and also offered support to Ince who quite often has one man too many on him.

His hold up play in this area was brilliant.

It's worth another watch if you're in any doubt.

9 hours ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Apparently their main defender Kieran Lee left the stadium wearing a protective boot tonight against Stoke and Loovens had to go off injured. 

Kieran Lee is centre midfield and did leave in a Space boot, Tom Lees left on crutches.

10 hours ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Forestieri was cup tied not injured, both Turner and Bannan likely to play Sunday.

That said I expect to lose, you're in good form and we have a few injuries, not forgetting your recent good record at Hillsborough stretching back to that bloody 5-2 in 1997.

15 minutes ago, walkleyowl said:

Kieran Lee is centre midfield and did leave in a Space boot, Tom Lees left on crutches.

Forestieri was cup tied not injured, both Turner and Bannan likely to play Sunday.

That said I expect to lose, you're in good form and we have a few injuries, not forgetting your recent good record at Hillsborough stretching back to that bloody 5-2 in 1997.

Like I always say, I hope you have your strongest side available. We have a couple of long term injuries as well in Will Hughes & our left back Craig Forsyth but that is part of football. Bring it on.

I think that Sheff Wed are a very good Club and have a promising side that may challenge seriously for promotion next year. You may catch the play offs this season. You have  a good manager and a great set of away fans.We need to win the game, draws are not good enough. If any team gets six points clear it is rock hard to get the points back. We need to win the next two to stay where we are in the league. It is a much harder league this year than last.

I can't believe some of you are actually suggesting Hendrick should start instead of Johnson,

Johnson has been consistently one of the best players on the pitch since we signed him, Hendrick has been average this season and will continue to be average because that's all he is, I think its great we can have a player like Hendrick on the bench, but I dont think he should start any time soon unless we have some injuries or someone has a serious dip in form.

If Hendrick was lining up in an oppositions team, would we fear him? No. Would we fear Bradley Johnson, Butterfield or Thorne?? YES!!

13 minutes ago, dave126 said:

I can't believe some of you are actually suggesting Hendrick should start instead of Johnson,

Johnson has been consistently one of the best players on the pitch since we signed him, Hendrick has been average this season and will continue to be average because that's all he is, I think its great we can have a player like Hendrick on the bench, but I dont think he should start any time soon unless we have some injuries or someone has a serious dip in form.

If Hendrick was lining up in an oppositions team, would we fear him? No. Would we fear Bradley Johnson, Butterfield or Thorne?? YES!!

I wouldn't fear Butterfield, Thorne would have him in his pocket all game. I bet Butters gets really frustrated in training games if he's not on GT's team :lol:

25 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I wouldn't fear Butterfield, Thorne would have him in his pocket all game. I bet Butters gets really frustrated in training games if he's not on GT's team :lol:

Agreed!!

How about Thorne and Butterfield in the oppositions team?

Just now, dave126 said:

Agreed!!

How about Thorne and Butterfield in the oppositions team?

That Thorne fella's got a dodgy knee, just send Johnson into clatter him. 

Archived