• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, dave126 said:

Agreed!!

How about Thorne, Butterfield AND Johnson in the oppositions team

Well now you're just being silly.

Have watched Sheff Wed on the telly a few times this season now

They've got a midfielder called Hutchinson who looks the dirtiest player I've seen since watching Michael Brown (who, fittingly, used to play for Leeds). They are both similar in that there is a significant element of maliciousness and cowardliness in what they do. 

Be interesting to see how Bradley gets on with him on sunday - I'm expecting fireworks

As I have pointed out in the past we have a good midfield squad with strength

in depth.Football is a 14 man game,with the subs,and nearly all of them will get

on at sometime,depending how the game is going. I would be amazed if Hendrick

doesn't appear sometime Anyway his doubters are wrong he is still young and

learning all the time.

9 minutes ago, top 6 finish said:

As I have pointed out in the past we have a good midfield squad with strength

in depth.Football is a 14 man game,with the subs,and nearly all of them will get

on at sometime,depending how the game is going. I would be amazed if Hendrick

doesn't appear sometime Anyway his doubters are wrong he is still young and

learning all the time.

I've heard for years now that Hendrick is young and has time to learn, at 23 surely by now you would expect him to be showing signs of being great (if that was ever to be the case).

In the world of professional Football, 23 isn't that young.

Its great to have players like that on the bench but I'm pretty sure that when we get to the prem Jeff will become surplus to requirement.

All of the above is obviously just my humble opinion.

1 hour ago, dave126 said:

I can't believe some of you are actually suggesting Hendrick should start instead of Johnson,

Johnson has been consistently one of the best players on the pitch since we signed him, Hendrick has been average this season and will continue to be average because that's all he is, I think its great we can have a player like Hendrick on the bench, but I dont think he should start any time soon unless we have some injuries or someone has a serious dip in form.

If Hendrick was lining up in an oppositions team, would we fear him? No. Would we fear Bradley Johnson, Butterfield or Thorne?? YES!!

Just like I have made the point that it would be better to pick the best team rather than a collection of those considered to be the best individuals, I fear other teams more than I do their individual players.

Also, I think Hendrick has been, on the whole, more consistent this season than Johnson who hasn't played that great at all in his last few games.

18 minutes ago, dave126 said:

I've heard for years now that Hendrick is young and has time to learn, at 23 surely by now you would expect him to be showing signs of being great (if that was ever to be the case).

In the world of professional Football, 23 isn't that young.

Its great to have players like that on the bench but I'm pretty sure that when we get to the prem Jeff will become surplus to requirement.

All of the above is obviously just my humble opinion.

I wonder why Jeff has become a regular in the Eire national team , which have just qualified for the European Championships, if he is so average ? He is picked for every game nowadays, whether that is against the world champions Germany or minnows Gibraltar. Either way he always seems to have a good game against international standard opposition. His competition is players already playing in the Premier League.

Clearly Martin Oneil and Roy Keanne have a higher opinion of him than many on here. 

Lots of the 'stuff' that he does gets little recognition. Like the simple little tee up for Martin to score the first against Wolves. The flick to Martin to set up Ince for what was so nearly our third against Hull. He's one of those players.

There's no question that he is better going forward - but his size and athleticism are beneficial in defence. I also get the impression that he is a confidence player and that, with that, he can take the next step upwards. It seems that the team at Eire have managed to give him that confidence - hopefully we will take a leaf out of their book and do the same.

I am sure that he will be playing in the Premier sooner rather than later, for a team and supporters who value him perhaps a bit more than we do. I wouldn't be surprised if we receive offers for him in January. And, being honest, it might just be time for him to move on and progress his career at a club who want him playing week in and week out and who  know where to get the most of him.

The below is taken from a Sheffield Wed Forum. Do we have a squad depth to match theirs? :blink:

ddesay1

Reserve Team Player

• photo-thumb-33928.jpg?_r=1405461303
  • Sheffield Wednesday Fan
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:04 PM

Every team in this division will have similar if not worse injury periods than what we will have. I say that because given that we are in December, we haven't lost any crucial players long term.. Even Lees probably won't be what you would class as long term..

I wouldn't get so disheartened.. Teams like Brighton and Derby will look vulnerable once the injuries set in, I mean what teams in this division actually have a squad to match the strength in depth as ours?

With the above in mind I was thinking about our squad and those who have represented their country at full international level:

Carson: England

Christie: Republic of Ireland

Baird: N. Ireland.

Keogh: Republic of Ireland

Pearce:Republic of Ireland

Forsyth: Scotland

Warnock: England

Hendrick: Republic of Ireland

Bryson: Scotland

Weimann: Austria

Russell: Scotland

Martin: Scotland.

Bent: England.

Dawkins: Jamaica.

Have I missed anyone? Quite impressive I think. Add to that the impressive array of young midfield talent and we really do have quite a squad for this division.

Wednesday got pinned 3-1 away at Charlton a few weeks back, good teams wont lose against Charlton this season.

They have also played twice since we last crossed the white lines, not to mention the couple of injuries they picked up last night.

Very confident for this weekend, after seeing us dismantle Hull.

2-0 Rams.

3 hours ago, ValeRam said:

They've got a midfielder called Hutchinson who looks the dirtiest player I've seen since watching Michael Brown (who, fittingly, used to play for Leeds). They are both similar in that there is a significant element of maliciousness and cowardliness in what they do. 

Be interesting to see how Bradley gets on with him on sunday - I'm expecting fireworks

He's managed an incredible 10 yellow cards in 16 games this season!

There has only been 4 league games he has played in where he hasn't been booked

Sheffield Wednesday v Derby, Sunday, 1.15pm Sky Sports 1

I really like both these teams. This is one of the games of the weekend. The fans will be spoilt with this one - there is going to be goals, goals, goals.

Wednesday have an investor who is flashing his money around and I've been very impressed with their results. They've pulled a couple of gems out of the bag in the transfer market, including Lucas Joao, and fair play to them. It shows the club are moving in the right direction by having a huge scouting network.

Derby's victory at Hull last weekend was massive. I was delighted to see Jacob Butterfield have his moment. He had a terrible injury, but he's over it now and he's showing everybody what a fantastic player he is.  

OLLIE PREDICTS: 2-2

Ian Holloway once again proving he doesn't actually know what he's taking about. The chances of this game having goals, goals, goals is very slim indeed. We don't concede many, and neither do Sheff Wed at home.

Probably be 0-0 or 1-0 either way.

Butterfield is benefiting from playing with much better players. Thorne can always find him and he can generally find Thorne. Jakob must think that it is his birthday because he will get a lot of chances to score in this team. If he goes forward, he knows that the door behind him is pretty well shut. Confidence is surging through the team. Long may it last.

17 hours ago, ValeRam said:

Horse ****, Hutchinson is rash but not malicious.

Looking forward to this one. Im expecting Brighton, Burnley and Hull to win this weekend. I think Boro will get beat at Ipswich tomorrow night though. So im expecting us to be a few points adrift of top by the time we play. 

Sheffield Wednesday are a good side with a few very decent players. But so are Hull. 

If we can go to Hull and play like that and win the game then we shouldnt fear going anywhere in this division. 

I think that win at Hull could have given us the confidence to know we can go anywhere and win. 

Id bring Johnson in for Hendrick and that would be my only change. 

Martin is due a goal. I fancy us for this one. 

Archived