Sheff Wed v Derby County

Day

I expected a close game, and that's what we got. But I agree with others about our lack of tempo and urgency. Too content to play nowhere football in our own half in the first 45. But we had nothing out wide and that limited us, with Ince especially awful, again. His replacement was little better though. I felt Shackell, Johnson, Keogh and Butterfield were our top performers in that order, and Warnock again did well until forced off. But it wasn't good enough in many areas. Thankfully, it was good enough defensively to get a solid away point against what to me look a decent side in Wednesday. 

Nothing to worry about. But we do need more from Ince, or whoever plays out there. 

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Ovis aries said:

Why oh why have we not won every game this season . To listen to some boneheads on here that is the least they expected, dopes, they go from game to game when we win they praise very little and any other results are just berated, obviously NOT Rams, get back down the 52' obviously scum .

Usual pathetic response from this poster. One man's wrist slasher is another man's realist. Everyone has different views and opinions. It doesn't make them boneheads or scum if their views don't accord with yours. For some, this performance was OK and won an important point; for others it was not great and perhaps not to be expected of a team chasing promotion. Might have been a blip. Hopefully it was. Or it might point to the need to look to strengthen the side for the push after Christmas.  That's all. Now more importantly I've got a butter tossed chicken breast to tuck into with a glass of Malbec (I know, a red and chicken and all that.......)

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2015‎ ‎5‎:‎52‎:‎07‎, super rams said:

Perhaps its......play high pressing game with two attacking midfielders, it keeps GT begged back, that then causes the other midfielders to sit deeper and isolating Martin- place two on Martin and it take him out of the game.......:p

Putting it into practice lays tactician..........

Hmmm, what was said..................

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2015‎ ‎12‎:‎56‎:‎40‎, SaintRam said:

"CC: We have analyzed their weaknesses and we have prepared the players to target them "

I wish I could be a fly on the wall during a discussion about our weaknesses (from an experienced coach, as oppose to the mind of super rams), I'd love to know what conclusions are made. I also wonder if different opposition come to different conclusions about our weaknesses.

4 minutes ago, Strange yearnings said:

Usual pathetic response from this poster. One man's wrist slasher is another man's realist. Everyone has different views and opinions. It doesn't make them boneheads or scum if their views don't accord with yours. For some, this performance was OK and won an important point; for others it was not great and perhaps not to be expected of a team chasing promotion. Might have been a blip. Hopefully it was. Or it might point to the need to look to strengthen the side for the push after Christmas.  That's all. Now more importantly I've got a butter tossed chicken breast to tuck into with a glass of Malbec (I know, a red and chicken and all that.......)

Thanks for replying .

Look forward to reading next week when we get an undeserved victory against Brighton, if you even bother to post.

Clement regularly talks about having a variety of formations and options to adapt to how a match is unfolding. Today seemed like the perfect opportunity to do this - the style which has served us so well was totally nullified by Wednesday and from much earlier in the second half we needed to mix it up. 

Still, a solid away point and 4/6 on the road in the last 2 games. 

59 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Hendrick wasn't particularly dynamic against the red scum was he? Whether you're a fan of Hendrick or not, he isn't the issue. We're just not getting enough out of our wide players so as I see it we have 3 options.

1. Persevere with what we have (Weimann, Ince & Russell) in the hope that 2 of them can regain some semblance of form

2. When the January window opens, bring a singer in, preferably on loan or

3. Change the system to 4-1-3-2, giving Bent more game time and bringing Bryson back into the starting X1 to provide some much needed energy to the team - in 2 of the last 4 matches we have been totally flat.

What kind of singer? Adele or a tenor,maybe. A sewing machine?

I thought it was a hard earned point from a team someway below their best, against as good a Wednesday team as I've seen for a while.

Back four and keeper stood firm, Midfield seemed outnumbered too often, always a easy ball on for a Wednesday player drifting beyond midfield, but they never hurt us with it.

Ince and Wiemann never got going, Martin played ok but lacked any support from midfield or wide.

Maybe a day we could have changed it earlier, it was soon obvious we were leaving Martin isolated, and needed to get Butterfield or Johnson much closer to him, but a decent enough point all said and done.

Grant 7, Warnock 6, Christie 6, Shackell 8, Keogh 7, Thorne 5, Butterfield 6, Johnson 6, Wiemann 5, Ince 4, Martin 6. 

This game has to be looked at in context. No, we weren't great, but if u are away to a team in the top 7, play badly, and still get a point then that's not bad. We can't be great every game . Plus with Hull and Burnley both losing it was a point gained. If Brighton had lost too- which they nearly did- then it would have been a stellar point. We move on.....

Much as I want us to beat Brighton the key is actually not to lose. If we do then the gap would be sizable.

1 hour ago, Derby blood said:

The performance today , was not great, but we was solid at the back and in the last 2 difficult away games we picked up 4 very good points, are you a Derby fan pal, because the realism you speak about is that we have made a VERY good start to the season , very happy with our start , and believe we have a very good chance of promotion this season , so let's all back our team to promotion , come rain or shine I am behind Derby 100 percent , that what being a fan is all about.

Note to self. Must remember to never ever criticise Derby or you will get jumped on by numpties for whom Derby can do no wrong, who call you "pal" , say " we was "and question your credentials as a Rams fan even though I have watched us since before 3rd Division North days and had a ST for 25 years and had an uncle who played for us an England.   Pathetic

Four points from two away games cannot argue about that and not a goal conceded though the points came in a order we probably did not expect.

OK we did not play well today but that happens when it do's the key is to not to lose we acheived that and nearly knocked it late on.

People need to lay off Ince he is not in the greatest form and being tightly marked and is having to deal with it and trfy and find awasy out of it.Has Clement said he has earned the attention now he must go to the next level to beat it if he can.If he do's then he will be the match changer we need in tight games.

Just like Thorne who has stated he is finding being a marked difficult at present so is Ince but I do not see George getting the criticism Ince is.Crowd support can help Ince he is a confidence player and a little love will do him wonders.

I watched it with a 'neutral' and I have to say he was bored senseless. The result was fine, away point at a decent team...but the performance was disappointing. We looked solid but seemed to be lacking in conviction to really go for three points, all very slow from the back, defenders not really driving forward with the ball or pushing up to pressure Wednesday. At no point did we really get a head of steam going, seemed happy to keep it tight...next game will have big effect on how this result will look this time next week. 

Good result, if not a good performance.

Just read through the the thread, and it is what I would have expected. The bottom line guys, let's be honest, is that we have a good few "average" players in our ranks, probably good enough to get us out of the division, but never good enough to steamroller the league. We really must learn to expect such off-days.

I feel sorry for a few of you on here as if only you were born in Barcelona and Munich, rather then Derby, you might be watching the kind of team you feel you are entitled to.

Again today we looked organised, well drilled at the back - Shackell is a top top defender positionally - and I thought Butterfield and Johnson did most things pretty well in the middle of the park. Still struggling upfront in my opinion and still not quite seeing, never have really, why so many frequently get so carried away about the contributions of Martin and Russell.  Solid championship players, but not much more.  We need a bit more pace and movement.  But that's all ok, because at the moment we have not earned the right to attract really top quality players, and therefore securing a hard earned point against teams like Wednesday away on a cold wet December when we have not played so well should be cherished, not dismissed

My team is third in the league. We are moving in the right direction. We are trying to play good football. Been watching my club for 46 years now.  I have learnt to become content and grateful with such circumstances.

39 minutes ago, Strange yearnings said:

Note to self. Must remember to never ever criticise Derby or you will get jumped on by numpties for whom Derby can do no wrong, who call you "pal" , say " we was "and question your credentials as a Rams fan even though I have watched us since before 3rd Division North days and had a ST for 25 years and had an uncle who played for us an England.   Pathetic

Well said!

1 hour ago, Strange yearnings said:

Your uncle is seth johnson? Or is it carson?

Man up pal.

23 minutes ago, super rams said:

Well said!

The thing is, it's all you ever seem to do, and it gets extremely tedious. A win against Brighton next week and the smart money is on you not posting at all.

Archived