Sheff Wed v Derby County

Day

Just now, PistoldPete2 said:

I just thought all the strikers suffered from the fact we lost the midfield battle. So the service wasn't great. I was more concerned about inces performance , when he did get the ball he usually lost it... He looked lightweight. Always thought this would be a tough physical game so maybe Hendrick could have played in a four man midfield with ince dropping out. But Hendrick didn't even get any game time, maybe he is on the naughty step. 

Twice in the first two minutes.

Then I thought 'd better stop counting.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Kamikaze said:

Would be interested to hear ppls thoughts on Martins performance, looked terrible for me, was completely out of the game until Bent came on, never competed in the air or even win his usual free kicks, very little movement too (looked extra lazy). With this current barren spell is he dropable? Or does he need Bent up there with him?

I agree with your opinion of Martins recent performances have not been up to his usual very high standards - but I feel its not entirely his own fault.

He does his best work [when not scoring goals] holding up the ball and then bringing in midfielders, who play off him, this in turn creates openings behind opponents defence - I think teams have worked out if they isolate Martin it nullifies Derby as an attacking force.

To isolate Martin the opposition as to make the Derby midfield sit deeper and to this, the opposition as to stop GT from controlling the DM position, [as once GT controls the DM position he has the freedom to move higher up the pitch, which in turn pushes our midfielders up closure up to Martin], to stop GT -  the opposition has to play a high up pressing game [dangerous to play against quality football teams like us] - we have to work out a plan B, when we are being pressed to get the midfield further up the pitch and help out Martin so he is not isolated, that in turn catch's out teams that play high  pressing game.

There is a lot of talk on here about players being doubled up in - Thorne, Ince, Martin. 

Surely that leaves three other players unmarked. 

My own view is that picking up 4 points from 2 difficult away games is what is needed to get out of this division. 

Being difficult to beat is what's needed. Bully Davies's team took that too far, resulting in lucky and tedious 1-0 wins. Steve McClaren's approach was not tight enough to gain points in games like the last two. 

Thus team seems to have the balance right, at the expense of some of the more exciting free-flowing football. 

This looked like Forest part2. We were closed down before we had got the ball. We need wingers that have the ability to take on defenders and beat a man. We all know that 4 points from 2 difficult teams away is not a bad return but lets try to create a team that can compete in the Premiership now, not waiting to see if we get promoted.

We all know the even good teams get beaten some times, but I am still not convinced our attack is is up to it. Where as I feel comfortable with our defence. Are we good enough to finish top ?? not yet in my opinion

What bothers me is that people talk about taking a point off Sheff.Wed

as a good point.The talk is that they are a decent side in the top7,etc.But

the fact is that they had a weakened side with key players out,that wasn't

the team that are in the top 7. At times even against our sporadic and

sluggish attacks they panicked and their forwards couldn't hit a barn door.

We should have beaten them comfortably,and yet we struggled. We have

to raise our game next week or else we will lose.

16 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Hendrick wasn't particularly dynamic against the red scum was he? Whether you're a fan of Hendrick or not, he isn't the issue. We're just not getting enough out of our wide players so as I see it we have 3 options.

1. Persevere with what we have (Weimann, Ince & Russell) in the hope that 2 of them can regain some semblance of form

2. When the January window opens, bring a singer in, preferably on loan or

3. Change the system to 4-1-3-2, giving Bent more game time and bringing Bryson back into the starting X1 to provide some much needed energy to the team - in 2 of the last 4 matches we have been totally flat.

Sorry I forgot that I was talking about the Forest game:pinch: here I was commenting on the game in question only for someone to talk about Forest. Priceless. 

A singer really???  I doubt that there are any singers out there who could do a better job:ph34r:

What's the old adage? If you can't win, make sure you don't lose. And Clement's got us doing that with aplomb just recently.

Flawless from the defence. Shackell looking worth every penny, and his partnership with Keogh is starting to look like one of the best in the league - and the stats back that up and even Sky pundits think so. Grant didn't have much to do apart from that wonderful save.

However, Thorne and everyone forward of him were poor. No movement, no pace, no tempo. Hard to believe that we were the team that had 9 days to prepare. That said, how different could it have been if Weimann's goal hadn't have been chalked off for offside? We looked interested in that first 5 minutes, then all of a sudden, it dropped off. It seemed to take us 5, 6, 7 passes to get from our 18yd box to the centre circle, then as soon as it crosses the halfway line, everyone gets a nosebleed and it takes one or two passes straight through the midfield for Wednesday to get forward.

My worry - is Thorne being found out? Our worst performances are when he has a man stuck to him like glue. All of a sudden, the whole midfield falls apart when he can't take his time and pass the ball. 

Like @ck- said - surely if someone is doubling up on Thorne, there's another man free? Same for Ince, Martin. Problem is, we aren't getting players in and around those to support them, and when we do the movement at times isn't sharp enough.

All that said, an away point at Hillsborough, and 7 from Cardiff, Hull and the Wendies isn't to be sneezed at. It's just a shame that Brighton, Boro aren't dropping anything. Plenty of time yet though - just makes that game on Saturday all the more important.

Besides, Martin always scores against Brighton...

20 minutes ago, AnimalisaRam said:

What's the old adage? If you can't win, make sure you don't lose. And Clement's got us doing that with aplomb just recently.

Flawless from the defence. Shackell looking worth every penny, and his partnership with Keogh is starting to look like one of the best in the league - and the stats back that up and even Sky pundits think so. Grant didn't have much to do apart from that wonderful save.

However, Thorne and everyone forward of him were poor. No movement, no pace, no tempo. Hard to believe that we were the team that had 9 days to prepare. That said, how different could it have been if Weimann's goal hadn't have been chalked off for offside? We looked interested in that first 5 minutes, then all of a sudden, it dropped off. It seemed to take us 5, 6, 7 passes to get from our 18yd box to the centre circle, then as soon as it crosses the halfway line, everyone gets a nosebleed and it takes one or two passes straight through the midfield for Wednesday to get forward.

My worry - is Thorne being found out? Our worst performances are when he has a man stuck to him like glue. All of a sudden, the whole midfield falls apart when he can't take his time and pass the ball. 

Like @ck- said - surely if someone is doubling up on Thorne, there's another man free? Same for Ince, Martin. Problem is, we aren't getting players in and around those to support them, and when we do the movement at times isn't sharp enough.

All that said, an away point at Hillsborough, and 7 from Cardiff, Hull and the Wendies isn't to be sneezed at. It's just a shame that Brighton, Boro aren't dropping anything. Plenty of time yet though - just makes that game on Saturday all the more important.

Besides, Martin always scores against Brighton...

That is correct- opponents have worked out that most of our attacking player actually stems from Thorne roaming free and that lets our midfield move up close to Martin  & so can pick up the lay offs/click on's that Martin does so well.

Sometimes being one dimensional & constantly playing from the back against a pressing side does not work, we need a plan B. We have got to mix it up otherwise we'll have more Sheff Weds reruns.......

we are the scalp every one wants and teams raise their game , at least paul clement has got the team sorted defensively and apart from Wallace effort I could have played in goals , so plus point is 0 goals conceded you cant lose , midfield 3 and front 3 you cant play well every game , what gets me is ince plays poorly every game and is still selected , its surely time for him to sit out , that then leaves a space for someone to come in , who would that be ? if he wants to play 4-3-3 I would play bent alongside martin as johnny seems to have gone off form a wee bit , only other alternative is bring jeff in and play him or butterfield further forward  in the hole between midfield 3 and front 3 , oh for Bryson to be fit as hes badly needed as for all the midfield are all top players they don't have the legs or engine craig provides

14 hours ago, valleyram said:

Stop being s dick , Bryson has been injured since day 1 this season and would still put more into a game than Ince , I don't want to come in here and have a go at players but what's he done this season to merit a start with the squad we have ? 

Ince had scored 3 goals this season, which is one behind Bryson for the past one and a quarter seasons.  You tried to make out, that Ince is not interested now he has signed a permanent contract, which IMO is ********. I used Bryson as an example to highlight how stupid your comment was, knowing that you would jump to his defence and show your double standards. 

It's hard to argue against, that Ince has not hit the high standards he has set for himself and is in danger of losing his place as a result of this, but to say this is the result of him having a perm contract is as ridiculous as saying Bryson is happy to take his increased pay packet home and spend his time at hacketts at the weekend rather than on the pitch.

7 hours ago, Kamikaze said:

Would be interested to hear ppls thoughts on Martins performance, looked terrible for me, was completely out of the game until Bent came on, never competed in the air or even win his usual free kicks, very little movement too (looked extra lazy). With this current barren spell is he dropable? Or does he need Bent up there with him?

At last someone does the unspeakable and questions Chris Martin's contribution. He's nowhere near the form he showed last year before his injury. Take away his brace against Preston an he's having a poor enough season so far.

On 06/12/2015, 16:20:30, Carl Sagan said:

True that Ince seems to have lost confidence and isn't automatically on the front foot, and that's an issue. Suspect we agree the whole team let themselves down today. But when we look back at this result, it's a disappointing away draw against a team that have been flying, especially at home. Even when we're not on it as an attacking force, we seem able to hold most team's at arm's length and have the best defensive record in the division.

I think the disappointment for me comes from the fact we managed to convince ourselves they were there for the taking and that their recent home form would count for nought.

- Injuries, resulting in almost completely rejigged defence

- especially loss of Tom Lees, regarded as key ball player

- plus a midweek fixture

- plus we had an additional day as we played early

So we had all the aces - or so we thought, and then we just couldn't get it right on the day.

I thought we played well, a good solid away performance, and another point gained.

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, Joy follows like a shadow that never leaves"....Buddha

ps...Hank Marvin just followed me all the way home from Aldi's and I can't seem to get rid of him!

Up The Rams.

6 hours ago, super rams said:

That is correct- opponents have worked out that most of our attacking player actually stems from Thorne roaming free and that lets our midfield move up close to Martin  & so can pick up the lay offs/click on's that Martin does so well.

Sometimes being one dimensional & constantly playing from the back against a pressing side does not work, we need a plan B. We have got to mix it up otherwise we'll have more Sheff Weds reruns.......

They Sky pundits (David Prutton and Danny Higginbottom) called it - inject some "direct" aka long balls that bypass the pressing players and force them to drop off themselves. They even helpfully clarified that 40 yard diagonal "slow floaters" were not what they meant.

we seemed to go a bit longer when Bent came on and it seemed to have a positive effect. Should PC have made that move sooner? 15 minutes is not long in a game.

5 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

Ince had scored 3 goals this season, which is one behind Bryson for the past one and a quarter seasons.  You tried to make out, that Ince is not interested now he has signed a permanent contract, which IMO is ********. I used Bryson as an example to highlight how stupid your comment was, knowing that you would jump to his defence and show your double standards. 

It's hard to argue against, that Ince has not hit the high standards he has set for himself and is in danger of losing his place as a result of this, but to say this is the result of him having a perm contract is as ridiculous as saying Bryson is happy to take his increased pay packet home and spend his time at hacketts at the weekend rather than on the pitch.

difference is ince has been fit , Bryson hasn't so how we can compare these 2 makes me laugh , all I do know is brysos attitude and work rate even when hes not playing well is a whole lot better than tom inces

Archived