Sheff Wed v Derby County

Day

36 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I was pleased with the draw today based on our performance we got what we deserved. Hopefully this is another kick up the jacksey to bring us into reality. 

One thing i couldn't get my head round was why would someone let off half a dozen stink bombs during the game.

yea , sorry 'bout that , bad beer last night ..

:ph34r:

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Several times this season we've said that if we don't look like winning a game, the key thing is not to lose it. I was confident they wouldn't score. Whenver possession broke down and the Wendies looked to break on us with pace, the impressive thing was that we were superquick to get numbers back and control the situation.

But we were plodding and predictable going forward. As the TV pundit said, because we always tried to play the tippy tappy short ball the Wendies could press really high, since there was never any danger of a longer ball over the top catching them out. So we were constantly hussled out of possession. There needs to be more variety/imagination/vision in our play at all times in the game.

Sadly at the end we resorted to a bit of hoofball rather than the mixture we need. Just because Bent's on the pitch doesn't mean every ball should be a 50 yard punt forward over the top. That's as  easy to defend against as the tika taka. Variety variety variety...

Even so, the bar is still vibrating from when Bradders walloped it. That was extremely unlucky not to have gone in.

13 minutes ago, Strange yearnings said:

Careful. You can't say things like that on here or certain posters for whom the word "realism" is an unknown concept, will jump on you

Today was the worst performance by any team ever in the history of the world, reading some of the comments.

Only watched second half... To sum up what I watched of the opposition...

All huff and puff but no quality... Think they will be top 10... But think there's two or three teams better than them for that 6th place... Didn't rate that Jao at all, maybe watched him on off day...

as as for our performance... Meh.

But even when we play like that we still are in the game. Can't say that few years ago... We would have been beaten...

As much as I defend Ince on here and still think he's quality... A kick up the a$$ is needed there. Saying that Russell didn't do owt when he came on.

Shackell and Keogh solid as per usual... Midfield lacked spark. Bent looked OK when on... Only has to time one run right and he will score. 

Game for me was desperate for Hendrick and/or Bryson...

As much as Wendies huffed and puffed... Most chances were outside the box...

Another point gained... 4 points from 2 difficult away games... I would have took that at start of Hull away.

20 minutes ago, Strange yearnings said:

Careful. You can't say things like that on here or certain posters for whom the word "realism" is an unknown concept, will jump on you

The performance today , was not great, but we was solid at the back and in the last 2 difficult away games we picked up 4 very good points, are you a Derby fan pal, because the realism you speak about is that we have made a VERY good start to the season , very happy with our start , and believe we have a very good chance of promotion this season , so let's all back our team to promotion , come rain or shine I am behind Derby 100 percent , that what being a fan is all about.

21 minutes ago, Strange yearnings said:

In my view 'realism' is not over reacting to a disappointing but still good away point, especially having had the run we have had.' Realism' is realising we wont win every week no matter how much we want to or how good we might be.

1 hour ago, gazram80 said:

I genuinely think we look better when hendrick is in the side we seem more dynamic going forward when he is in the side. Having said that though he often hoes missing. 

On to today we were not at the races, and I'm sure that this won't be the last time this season we play like this. However it was a good positive result and our last 3 games reads well another tough one next week. 2 wins would be great but think 4 points is likely. Still along way to go not even played half the season yet. Futures bright. 

I don't see this side sliding away like last season.  

Hendrick wasn't particularly dynamic against the red scum was he? Whether you're a fan of Hendrick or not, he isn't the issue. We're just not getting enough out of our wide players so as I see it we have 3 options.

1. Persevere with what we have (Weimann, Ince & Russell) in the hope that 2 of them can regain some semblance of form

2. When the January window opens, bring a singer in, preferably on loan or

3. Change the system to 4-1-3-2, giving Bent more game time and bringing Bryson back into the starting X1 to provide some much needed energy to the team - in 2 of the last 4 matches we have been totally flat.

Wednesday looked a really good outfit on this showing and clearly raised their game against us

But defensively we never really looked in trouble - Shackell again was an absolute masterclass

Going forward we struggled a bit but I'm putting that down to Wednesday rather than us

And it genuinely looked like we could nick it in the last 15 after Ince went off and Bent came on. Teams, particularly away from home,  are clearly frightened to death of Ince and it seems to totally upset them if we take him off or change formation. And Bent coming on causes even more problems . Maybe food for thought for the next away game ?

No goals conceded and 4 points gained from away games at Hull and Sheff Wed . Thats as good as we could have hoped for in my book.

I don't think it was a bad performance at all. Not a good one, no, but not a bad one.

The defence is solid; Warnock and Christie are in excellent form, while Keogh and Shackell continue to look like the division's best centre back duo. 

The midfield were off today; Thorne had a bad game and it rubbed off on those around him. Johnson below average. Butterfield okay, but failed to really impact the game. 

Upfront, Ince and Weimann were starved of quality supply and struggled to impact the game. Martin's link up play was okay, but he had to come too deep at times. 

Overall it was a scrappy game that I want to, and will, forget quickly but it's certainly not one that will define our season. 

Clement got to look at why we were so lethargic today. Wednesday played mid week in the cup we have had 9 days to prepare for this one ,yet they looked the fresher of the two teams.

Positives......the defence defended where they needed to....

We never looked like scoring but nether did Wednesday, the performance again is a bit of a concern, especially with 9 days off?

This and the Forest performance were very similar and it cannot simply be that we cannot cope with teams that press up high and don't give us time on the ball?

How to we react, Plan B hoof it up!, we are better than this..........

Derby weren't great today. However the linesman got it wrong in the first half and denied us a legitimate goal, and we hit the bar in the second half. For all their endeavour and enterprise Wednesday forged very few clear cut chances and seemed happy to get a home draw.We never looked like a team who looked confident of winning the game and for me Clement's first instinct was not to lose as opposed to grabbing the game by the scruff and making sure of three points to close in on Brighton and Middlesbrough.

Why oh why have we not won every game this season . To listen to some boneheads on here that is the least they expected, dopes, they go from game to game when we win they praise very little and any other results are just berated, obviously NOT Rams, get back down the 52' obviously scum .

3 minutes ago, Ovis aries said:

Why oh why have we not won every game this season . To listen to some boneheads on here that is the least they expected, dopes, they go from game to game when we win they praise very little and any other results are just berated, obviously NOT Rams, get back down the 52' obviously scum .

Archived