Charlie Austin

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They were holding out for £15million in the summer, only got offered about £12mil so he stayed. It'll be a few months before his contract is up and thus available on a free, as well as already being able to speak to foreign clubs about a free transfer in the summer.

It's not completely unbelievable but it would depend a hell of a lot on

1) Where QPR are in the league. If they pick up under Warnock, which they may well do because they have a good squad, would they let him go to a side in the same league?

2) Where we are in the league. If we're around where we are now, and I don't expect us to be lower, why would Austin come? He'd not be guaranteed PL football, whereas if he was available on a free there would be a long line of PL clubs to snap him up.

3) Martin's future. If we signed Austin he would 100% be starting every game. If he was worth £15mil with 12 months left on his contract, he'll be worth about 8 or 9 mil with 6 months left. We won't spend that to not play him. It would involve changing formations half-way through the season. Martin won't play out wide, it would be a waste. Austin won't play out wide, it would be a waste. They'd have to play together, and in this system that wouldn't work.

I think Austin would be more likely to succeed for us in the PL than Martin, should we go up this season, but at this moment I probably wouldn't be jumping up and down if we got Austin at the expense of losing Martin. That's the only way I can see it happening sadly.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Didn't do much last week, and didn't cause us any problems at wembley either.

Martin also didn't do much against QPR. The lads a proven goalscorer, especially at this level. 

53 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Unless we are selling Martin then I don't see the point in spending big money on him, would rather have a new winger than another striker. 

They either sell him in January or they don't get a fee when he leaves in the summer. 

30 minutes ago, Navyram said:

Would be a brilliant signing but just can't see it, then again I never saw us signing Bradley Johnson

Austin will take one tour of the facilities and say he isn't leaving. 

How about the 4-2-3-1 formation?

Austin up top with instructions to stay as far forward at all times, then with Martin central behind him as the target man. Basically the 4-3-3 we play now, without one of the central midfielders. In harder games, play the extra midfielder in the central role instead of Martin.

Clements been playing this formation but with Ince behind Martin, could this work with Martin behind Austin?
Keeps them both central and Martin does like to drop deep in games.

2 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Austin up top with instructions to stay as far forward at all times, then with Martin central behind him as the target man. Basically the 4-3-3 we play now, without one of the central midfielders. In harder games, play the extra midfielder in the central role instead of Martin.

Clements been playing this formation but with Ince behind Martin, could this work with Martin behind Austin?

When Martin drops deep he's useless - which he does whenever Bent comes on to play alongside him. The chemistry might be different with Martin and Austin so things might work out, but I wouldn't want to gamble my £10m on it.

7 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

People have been asking for cover for Martin. This guy is not only cover, he is more than capable of starting ahead of Martin and playing alongside him. If he came in the both of them would get less game time than they do now, but unless one of them is on fire or injured for a length of time, not much less. A 20 a season striker for this league can now cost you around £10m. Austin could leave QPR for half that. Also showed he is capable in the league above. 

If we bring him in then we will have one hell of a squad. Because it not only impacts Martin and Bent but also our wide men and central midfield. If you are not performing you get dropped. 

5 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

If we've agreed to sell Martin, we'll have loads of cash and be in need of a replacement.

Why would we sell Martin though? The Manager and owner rate him. We don't need to sell him. We have also likely received a few million quid for Forsyth's injury. 

I can see this happening! I can also see Martin leaving because the offers are going to be good! 

Austin would be a good replacement. 

Cant see them playing together. 

Lets just wait and see what happens. 

7 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Why would we sell Martin though? The Manager and owner rate him. We don't need to sell him. We have also likely received a few million quid for Forsyth's injury. 

Why would any club sell anybody? Why would Liverpool sell Sterling or Aston Villa sell Delph?

he could easily have his head turned to the point where it becomes better to get rid.

There is not enough room for Martin and Austin. Either one arrives because the other leaves or one leaves because the other one arrives.

12 minutes ago, The Rams 127 said:

I would rather keep martin then if we go up get Austin on a free but agree the deal early and offer him a big money contract

We'd only be able to agree the deal as early an anyone else would. Any earlier than that would be tapping him up, because he wouldn't be allowed to speak to other clubs for a free transfer within England until the last 30 days of his contract. So we'd have to compete against more established PL sides who would still be able to offer just as much, if not more money than us anyway.

Put simply, if we want Austin to be a Derby player next season, Premier League or not, we buy him in January.

Its obvious that Chris Martin will not be able to perform in the premier league, given his lack of mobility.

At the same time Mel and the club have been focussed on building the team so that it has at least a fighting chance of staying up if we manage to get into the premier in the next couple of years. To do that, we have to have players capable of scoring goals.

So this is a chance of buying a young, proven premier league goalscorer on the cheap, given his contractual situation.

Definitely worth a punt in my view

I refer back to what was said about signing a striker in the last transfer window, Watford went up with 4 very good strikers last year. Now they're there they can hold their own. Why not do the same? especially if we can get him somewhere under the 4 million mark (which we would according to nixon). Martin had no effect against forest whatsoever, so surely having a different option would be the key here?

4-3-3, 4-2-3-1....2 formations, using 1 striker.

We have 2 strikers, one of which is arguably the best in the league, back to back 20 goals a season. The other with over 200 Premier League games and 70 goals and 10 in 15 for us last season. Both would be first choice strikers for most clubs in the league. 

And some want another!

One what will be out of contract in the summer yet happy to see us throw £5-£10m at now, having already spent £20m this season. 

Absolutely no reason why we need sign another striker at the moment, if there is one position that needs strengthening it's left back which I would be looking at bringing in a loan. 

I would be totally, utterly, completely flabbergasted if we have or would agree to sell Martin in January. With Mel walking on water, turning water into wine, there is no way we would sell. I'm sure a conversation would take place, look Chris X club is interested in you, stay with us till the summer, if we don't go up we will let you talk to clubs if they offer X amount. 

Archived