Charlie Austin

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Simple answer is yes I do, just like he was last season with 10 in 15 games in a formation that didn't really suit him.

We have a much better squad this season and as long as Clement doesn't make the same mistakes as McClaren we will be fine. We have Weimann now as well which gives us another option, a player that will know Bent well and could sit behind him in a 4-2-3-1.

It worked bringing them both on v MK Dons and I'm sure it would work again.

Say Martin or Bent were injured and expected to be out for a couple months then I would look to bring a loan in.

Premier League survival is not a situation I'm even thinking about right now, wait until the summer for that, IF we get there.

Exactly. It worked against MK Dons. Thats our benchmark.

Just say, assuming the best that can possibly happen and we get promoted. We have Martin and Bent going into a premier season.

Who would you like Rams to sign in the summer with a view to scoring us goals and keeping us up or would you prefer to leave it as it is and give both of them a go  ? Knowing that we have secret weapon Weimann behind them.

I heard several weeks ago that Austin was coming....source was via an ex retired ram.

As it came second hand i couldn't tell you how true it was or pretend to be itk.

if a deal could be struck we would be foolish not to bring him in, an England international of his quality does not become available very often, and provides both attacking cover and an extra dimension to the team.

We rely to much on Martin at the moment,   3 games in 6 days is to much for any footballer and continually be at the top of their game, 46 is a very long season, and there is enough room at the club for several forwards....whether we could keep them all happy is another thing.

1 hour ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Why is it obvious? Player like Benteke, Lambert, Bony etc have all performed in the Prem without being the most mobile strikers. 

To that list you can add Robbie Keane, Teddy Sherringham, Chris Sutton etc etc. Also to say he's worth a punt (at £5m+ minimum) is some punt!

I like Austin but his injury record this season isn't great

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

the forest match was a real wake up call for PC - we need another goalscorer/striker ...  We all listened to the derby fans at the forum grumble about the lack of a striker alternative ... Looks like we are addressing that. If we can get one with a great pedigree (18 premier league goals) then how is that bad? Martin and Austin could play together or they can fight for the spot ... PC can figure that one out. And in 4-3-3 let the best one win the position. Come Summer, PC can decide if he wants to sell one striker two strikers or keep all of them.

its an exciting link.

1 hour ago, ValeRam said:

I say it again - so you really believe that Bent is the one we should depend on as our 'second' striker , and that you believe he will come through when called upon ?

Simple question, simple answer required 

I would answer Nino's post by pointing out that it wasn't like of finishing ability, or even pace up front, that cost us against Forest. It's amazing, last year it was defensively we fell short, yet people blamed Ince and Bent somehow! We lose against Forest with hardly any chances created and that's the striker's fault too!

Valeram, if you ask me, Bent is still a potent threat when it comes to doing what strikers should be doing, scoring. Yes, I think we can rely on him. It's perhaps a mistake that Clement hasn't given him enough game time to sharpen his game up.

I think he'll go back to Burnely.

he'll be missing the allure of a big club

and i believe he kept his house in burnley for romantic breaks when qpr aren't playing.

It looks as though Austin has taken the decision (as is his right) to run his contract down and leave for nothing at the end of the season. Last summer, QPR were after £15m for him. At the end of the contract, Austin and his agent can simnply pocket that for themselves. That's why he won't come to us in January. Even if QPR take something like £7m for him, we'd still have to pay the player the same again as a signing on fee.

And he would likely be better off waiting and taking his pick of the guaranteed Premier League teams who are expressing interest at the end of the season. The risk to Austin is injury, but it seems a risk he's prepared to take. If we go up it is likely we would struggle the following season, and I suspect Austin would prefer to finally move to a more established club who are likely to create more chances.

27 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

It looks as though Austin has taken the decision (as is his right) to run his contract down and leave for nothing at the end of the season. Last summer, QPR were after £15m for him. At the end of the contract, Austin and his agent can simnply pocket that for themselves. That's why he won't come to us in January. Even if QPR take something like £7m for him, we'd still have to pay the player the same again as a signing on fee.

And he would likely be better off waiting and taking his pick of the guaranteed Premier League teams who are expressing interest at the end of the season. The risk to Austin is injury, but it seems a risk he's prepared to take. If we go up it is likely we would struggle the following season, and I suspect Austin would prefer to finally move to a more established club who are likely to create more chances.

Why would Austin and his agent get 15 million ? Also 7 million signing on fee would be way off the mark.

1 hour ago, ValeRam said:

Exactly. It worked against MK Dons. Thats our benchmark.

Just say, assuming the best that can possibly happen and we get promoted. We have Martin and Bent going into a premier season.

Who would you like Rams to sign in the summer with a view to scoring us goals and keeping us up or would you prefer to leave it as it is and give both of them a go  ? Knowing that we have secret weapon Weimann behind them.

4-3-3 would be suicide for us so I would imagine we could be looking at 4-2-3-1 and 2 strikers would be enough. Not knowing who would be available it's hard to say who we could bring in to improve. I'd be tempted to keep Bent in the squad as he's been there and proved himself. 

I'd be looking at the 3 positions behind the striker first, as much as I love Russell I would be looking at replacing him with a more creative player and a backup.

Remember Prem clubs also have squad limits so we need to be start working in bringing through youngsters that can step up when needed.

I think for the right wage and with a chat with Mel and Sam we will get Austin in the window. Looks like we may also be in for Antonio again which addresses the depth of quality out wide  ... Antonio Ince Russell would be a really good 3 to have ... 

10 minutes ago, Ninos said:

I think for the right wage and with a chat with Mel and Sam we will get Austin in the window. Looks like we may also be in for Antonio again which addresses the depth of quality out wide  ... Antonio Ince Russell would be a really good 3 to have ... 

Where's the Antonio link?

25 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

Why?

Because Austin isn't going to rush to sign for a championship club in january in the hope that they might get promoted

and because clarke-harris is good cover and a good long term option

and because baptistao is a better player who might be tempted by a move to the Prem 

14 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Because Austin isn't going to rush to sign for a championship club in january in the hope that they might get promoted

and because clarke-harris is good cover and a good long term option

and because baptistao is a better player who might be tempted by a move to the Prem 

Agree with first point. Can't see him coming here when he can wait till end of season and take his pick. Would still rather have him than t'others if did have the choice

Archived