Charlie Austin

North_Stand_Ram

5 minutes ago, ValeRam said:

Its obvious that Chris Martin will not be able to perform in the premier league, given his lack of mobility.

At the same time Mel and the club have been focussed on building the team so that it has at least a fighting chance of staying up if we manage to get into the premier in the next couple of years. To do that, we have to have players capable of scoring goals.

So this is a chance of buying a young, proven premier league goalscorer on the cheap, given his contractual situation.

Definitely worth a punt in my view

Why is it obvious? Player like Benteke, Lambert, Bony etc have all performed in the Prem without being the most mobile strikers. 

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Daveo said:

4-3-3, 4-2-3-1....2 formations, using 1 striker.

We have 2 strikers, one of which is arguably the best in the league, back to back 20 goals a season. The other with over 200 Premier League games and 70 goals and 10 in 15 for us last season. Both would be first choice strikers for most clubs in the league. 

And some want another!

One what will be out of contract in the summer yet happy to see us throw £5-£10m at now, having already spent £20m this season. 

Absolutely no reason why we need sign another striker at the moment, if there is one position that needs strengthening it's left back which I would be looking at bringing in a loan. 

I would be totally, utterly, completely flabbergasted if we have or would agree to sell Martin in January. With Mel walking on water, turning water into wine, there is no way we would sell. I'm sure a conversation would take place, look Chris X club is interested in you, stay with us till the summer, if we don't go up we will let you talk to clubs if they offer X amount. 

#shortmemory

19 minutes ago, Daveo said:

4-3-3, 4-2-3-1....2 formations, using 1 striker.

We have 2 strikers, one of which is arguably the best in the league, back to back 20 goals a season. The other with over 200 Premier League games and 70 goals and 10 in 15 for us last season. Both would be first choice strikers for most clubs in the league. 

And some want another!

One what will be out of contract in the summer yet happy to see us throw £5-£10m at now, having already spent £20m this season. 

Absolutely no reason why we need sign another striker at the moment, if there is one position that needs strengthening it's left back which I would be looking at bringing in a loan. 

I would be totally, utterly, completely flabbergasted if we have or would agree to sell Martin in January. With Mel walking on water, turning water into wine, there is no way we would sell. I'm sure a conversation would take place, look Chris X club is interested in you, stay with us till the summer, if we don't go up we will let you talk to clubs if they offer X amount. 

If you truly believe that Bent is our answer to both championship success and premier league survival then, in my view, you are very much mistaken 

30 minutes ago, ValeRam said:

Its obvious that Chris Martin will not be able to perform in the premier league, given his lack of mobility.

At the same time Mel and the club have been focussed on building the team so that it has at least a fighting chance of staying up if we manage to get into the premier in the next couple of years. To do that, we have to have players capable of scoring goals.

So this is a chance of buying a young, proven premier league goalscorer on the cheap, given his contractual situation.

Definitely worth a punt in my view

Agree with some of it. But not that Martin can't hack it. 

He may not be a 20 Prem goal player but he'd still give value to most Prem teams. 

3 minutes ago, ValeRam said:

If you truly believe that Bent is our answer to both championship success and premier league survival then, in my view, you are very much mistaken 

We're not in the Premier League are we?

10 goals in 15 last season, not a bad backup to have.

the forest match was a real wake up call for PC - we need another goalscorer/striker ...  We all listened to the derby fans at the forum grumble about the lack of a striker alternative ... Looks like we are addressing that. If we can get one with a great pedigree (18 premier league goals) then how is that bad? Martin and Austin could play together or they can fight for the spot ... PC can figure that one out. And in 4-3-3 let the best one win the position. Come Summer, PC can decide if he wants to sell one striker two strikers or keep all of them.

its an exciting link.

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

Didn't do much last week, and didn't cause us any problems at wembley either.

Sorry, I don't agree. I sat with a mate who is a QPR fan and said that even 80% match fit you tell he is quality. His movement creating a couple of wayward shots show why he is wanted by so many clubs. Just his fitness that makes the money men cautious. Great to have him and Chris Martin as the two options and would take the pressure off Martin having to play and be fit every game. 

17 minutes ago, Daveo said:

We're not in the Premier League are we?

10 goals in 15 last season, not a bad backup to have.

I say it again - so you really believe that Bent is the one we should depend on as our 'second' striker , and that you believe he will come through when called upon ?

Simple question, simple answer required 

9 minutes ago, ValeRam said:

I say it again - so you really believe that Bent is the one we should depend on as our 'second' striker , and that you believe he will come through when called upon ?

Simple question, simple answer required 

Simple answer is yes I do, just like he was last season with 10 in 15 games in a formation that didn't really suit him.

We have a much better squad this season and as long as Clement doesn't make the same mistakes as McClaren we will be fine. We have Weimann now as well which gives us another option, a player that will know Bent well and could sit behind him in a 4-2-3-1.

It worked bringing them both on v MK Dons and I'm sure it would work again.

Say Martin or Bent were injured and expected to be out for a couple months then I would look to bring a loan in.

Premier League survival is not a situation I'm even thinking about right now, wait until the summer for that, IF we get there.

28 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Fame? 

Just giving my opinion like others on here, my opinion is that a striker is not needed

Only teasing you

The problem we have is that if we are really going for automatics then Bent isn't the answer - he wouldn't cause us to suddenly go into relegation form, but a ten game run with Bent leading the line would cost us a place in the top two. Bent is a poacher who adds nothing to our overall play. My opinion is that we need a third option to either replace Martin when form/fitness dictates or play alongside Bent/Russell/Weimann in a different formation.

I doubt that Charlie Austin is that player as he'd just cost too much, but it's my opinion that we definitely need another striker.

Archived