The Captaincy

ValeRam

12 hours ago, super rams said:

Nothing wrong in Martin as captain, he can lead, he can moan at the ref, leave Shacks to marshal the defence.....

I more concerned with Martins performances and the impact it has on the team.

Forest worked out that most things we do well run through Martin & as he sits up alone, holding up the ball & bringing the midfield in attack - so they simply placed their two CB on him and took him out of the game,  so why didn't Clement change it earlier?

Exactly.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9 November 2015 at 15:29:11, Ewe Ram said:

I've always thought that a captain is better with the game in front of him. 

Cant really make up my mind if Martin is a good captain or not

It does seem traditional that centre backs are most often captains. And seeing the game has to be helpful but in the end it has to be someone who has a measured head and can inspire or lift a team. One thing for sure Keogh is a way better player without the armband. I wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall at team gatherings .. Who do they look to ? Who commands attention but isn't a loud mouth ? Johnson looks like captain material, I thought he handled himself well in the pitch invasion thing .. Properly restrained proportionate reaction but the team chemsitry is always going to a bit of a mystery I suppose.

anyway it's Wednesday and the gloom is slowly lifting, Friday is still in the memory but it fades and you begin to think how will Cardiff set up, will they sing sheep sh*gger songs, will we bounce back ? Will the Captain Martin V9 be firing on all cylinders when Taffy parks his bus 

On 11/7/2015, 3:44:46, ValeRam said:

I can't quite fathom why we have Chris Martin as captain. He seems like a great fella and always comes across well when talking to the media but don't we need someone who can galvanise the team when things ar'nt going well ?  Chris' s body language on the pitch is often awful whenever one of his team-mates doesn't do the perfect thing and he's hardly an example at times with the theatrics when being challenged. 

Maybe PC doesn't see the captaincy as being important. I thought his first choice of Baird was bizarre but maybe thats why. Personally, from personal experience ( I peaked playing for the Menston Arms in the Yorkshire Wharfedale sunday league, only 43 leagues lower than Salford City)  I think the right captain has a huge potential to drive and uplift the team. Sometimes you almost need an enforcer to make sure the team sticks to the plan ( or , if necessary, adopts a new plan)  rather than allowing multiple (albeit quality) mavericks to just go their own way.

Shackell's the man if you ask me.

I thought this was a ridiculous thread at first but now I realise you would like the captaincy to be like the Matchday Thread,

Appoint a captain who keeps the job until we lose.

On 11/11/2015, 17:27:29, sage said:

I thought this was a ridiculous thread at first but now I realise you would like the captaincy to be like the Matchday Thread,

Chris Mills for captain

On 11/11/2015, 5:27:29, sage said:

This bit needs to go iin the 'suggestions to the club ' thread ..

On 11.11.2015 klo, sage said:

And I thought this was funny until I realized that this one needs to be tested.

Think about it. It would teach people to take responsibility, would be great for dressing room banter etc. Because every single players know who the real leaders are, the armband could be used to improve group dynamics.

Any managers here? :ph34r:

The captain in a football team isn't really important in my opinion. Leaders on the pitch are important and we have plenty of these now. Whichever one has the actual armband can be used for other reasons, motivation, confidence, good with the media, seniority, morale, etc.

Maybe making Martin captain has been used by Clement to get the right reaction out of Martin and others? Either way it's been working and I wouldn't change it at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived