The Captaincy

ValeRam

I can't quite fathom why we have Chris Martin as captain. He seems like a great fella and always comes across well when talking to the media but don't we need someone who can galvanise the team when things ar'nt going well ?  Chris' s body language on the pitch is often awful whenever one of his team-mates doesn't do the perfect thing and he's hardly an example at times with the theatrics when being challenged. 

Maybe PC doesn't see the captaincy as being important. I thought his first choice of Baird was bizarre but maybe thats why. Personally, from personal experience ( I peaked playing for the Menston Arms in the Yorkshire Wharfedale sunday league, only 43 leagues lower than Salford City)  I think the right captain has a huge potential to drive and uplift the team. Sometimes you almost need an enforcer to make sure the team sticks to the plan ( or , if necessary, adopts a new plan)  rather than allowing multiple (albeit quality) mavericks to just go their own way.

Shackell's the man if you ask me.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the captaincy at Derby is more of a players representative. On the field all players should know there jobs and any player can do the traditional Sunday league captaincy role. We have enough senior players not to worry too much about that. 

1 minute ago, peachmyster said:

I was thinking about this a couple of weeks ago I know Martin is the vie captin and has been ok but with biard not getting a look in at the moment I think captions armband should go to shacks 

Or johnson

1 minute ago, peachmyster said:

Yeah Johnson would be ok I just think it strange that our captin can't get in the team 

Stupid fkn choice of captain.

I think the OP raises a valid point to be honest, Martin's apparent indifference or nonchalant demeanour was one of the annoying things for me in last night's match.

His error led to their goal and I was looking for him to make amends, it never happened, he carried on with his $hit happens attitude.

When he's up for it he's great, when he's not....He's not a rallier of troops or a leader and so to me, he's not captain material.

No hysterics this end and if he carries on as captain, cool, I'll bow to Clement's superior knowledge but it won't change my belief he's not the man to captain this club at this time.

rallier - more of a Raleigher. We had to get on our bikes last night but couldn't find the gears. Just a chain of events with three games in a week. Now we are saddled with the title of second best in the area.We never got a handle, bar the last five minutes. I am feeling a little crossie about this.A warning bell is ringing. We needed to get a grip and play like this is where the rubber meets the road. We must be on our mud guard. Too much, yes, I agree.I need a brake.

Our most consistent and reliable player is Shackell. When Martin's having a bad day he is no use to anyone. It happens time and again. Martin has a great game and we all go look how great he is. But he also does put in some incredibly pathetic performances too. We have conceded the second least in the league. Shackell hasn't shown any indication that when the going get's tough he falls apart. 

2 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Our most consistent and reliable player is Shackell. When Martin's receives no service he is little use to anyone. It happens time and again. Martin has a great game and we all go look how great he is. But he also does get frustrated when people don't pass to his feet too. We have conceded the second least in the league. Shackell hasn't shown any indication that when the going get's tough he falls apart, neither has Martin as we fell apart after he was injured. 

FTFY

59 minutes ago, rustylee said:

I'm surprised this wasn't brought up after the victories against Huddersfield,Rotherham and QPR it was obvious that eight wins and two draws from ten games wasn't good enough and the captain needed changing.

Its all a cunning plan.

i never realised. 

2 hours ago, Rampage said:

rallier - more of a Raleigher. We had to get on our bikes last night but couldn't find the gears. Just a chain of events with three games in a week. Now we are saddled with the title of second best in the area.We never got a handle, bar the last five minutes. I am feeling a little crossie about this.A warning bell is ringing. We needed to get a grip and play like this is where the rubber meets the road. We must be on our mud guard. Too much, yes, I agree.I need a brake.

This is next level fantastic

Nothing wrong in Martin as captain, he can lead, he can moan at the ref, leave Shacks to marshal the defence.....

I more concerned with Martins performances and the impact it has on the team.

Forest worked out that most things we do well run through Martin & as he sits up alone, holding up the ball & bringing the midfield in attack - so they simply placed their two CB on him and took him out of the game,  so why didn't Clement change it earlier?

Archived