Penalties

Russell Ram

Does anyone know our penalty record over the last 2-4 seasons? I reckon it must be scoring 1 in every 2. I remember a lot being missed under Clough's latter regime and that seems to have carried on under McClaren and Clement. I remember Bent missing a vital kick versus Reading on the last day of the season. Can't we sign a German in January and sort this out.....

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah we went a period of missing about 4 in a row under Cloughie! Ward and Bryson!

Bent has missed his last two (including a friendly).

We spaffed all our decent penalties in one game... Southampton playoff semi's!!

Yeah we went a period of missing about 4 in a row under Cloughie! Ward and Bryson!

Bent has missed his last two (including a friendly).

We spaffed all our decent penalties in one game... Southampton playoff semi's!!

6 in a row! I can remember 4 of them off the top of my head. 

Ward vs Ipswich

Sammon vs Leeds

Sammon vs Palace

Russell vs Burnley 

I know that penalty takers have to be able to mix it up and leave the keeper guessing but putting a penalty low on either side is a 50/50 lottery. Anywhere about shoulder height or above is the place to be putting it. They very rarely get saved

I still maintain that Bucko's penalty in that 5-5 league cup draw a few seasons back was one of the best I've ever seen

It's not so much who as how. They need belting and lifting. A yard inside either post and the keepers a dead duck. One or two will go over the bar but that's the best way to take them statistically speaking.

Archived