You know what, I like what I'm seeing

Derbados

Some razor blades out tonight because we drew with a team who are one of the best in the division, have won their last four and are rock solid defensively. Sod the negativity, you know what, I like what I'm seeing and here's why:

The defence: we look solid in defence, best I've seen us for years. Isn't it interesting that tonight 3 of the 4 defenders at the back were the same ones leading goals for fun last season? we look well drilled and organised, calm and assured.we've gone from having statistically one of the worst defences at the back end of last season to statistically one of the best this season. 

The goals will come: as I alluded to tonight, our midfield is pretty much brand new, it is going to take time for them to gel with the rest of the squad, the ideas are there as clear as daylight and I am 100% confident we will be as solid up front as we are at the back in no time.

I like Clement, he is a tactician. I like what he's trying to do, he's sured us up at the back and we are very hard to beat now. We aren't going to lose many games this season. We are off on a little run now, 2 away wins and a Good draw against a promotion favourite tonight, of which we were the better team. Win against MK Dons and we're looking good. I have every faith, it is all coming together, watch this space. 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good post. I'm liking what I'm seeing too, just one thing missing, killer passes and a bit more "speed" in the final 3rd.

I'm trying to be patient with the new team coming together and all, but at what point do they go from being "new to each other" and "needing time to gel" to become a settled side that should be making it work? 10 games.?

Good post. I'm liking what I'm seeing too, just one thing missing, killer passes and a bit more "speed" in the final 3rd.

I'm trying to be patient with the new team coming together and all, but at what point do they go from being "new to each other" and "needing time to gel" to become a settled side that should be making it work? 10 games.?

I thought we played well today against a determined Burnley team bus.  Was a frustrating game but that is going to be the nature of the beast with the money we spent etc.  

We looked a quality side at times tonight and shows how far we have come where a team that have the quality Burnley do completely shut up shop from minute one. 

It will come I am sure. 

You're not going to get instant free flowing football in 'new' team

Just want to see steady improvement and signs that it will come together. 

It can be a bit slow and a bit bogged down. Sometimes through players not having the understanding and it breaks down. Sometimes it's through casual play. 

Just be patient before condemning the season or the manager. 

Seen people say "doesn't look like £20m worth"...

You can't buy a team. That has to be built. 

I'm pleased with how we've done tonight. The defence looks very solid and the movement in the final third looks a lot better. Burnley set up to stop us getting the ball into Martin and we still created a lot of good chances. Some more positive changes by Clement and we could definitely have won that one (although we could easily have lost it as well). Should build on this little run and 14 points from the next 6 is very much do-able.

I think we might be missing the more advanced midfielders, like Bryson and Hendrick. A couple of times tonight we got in behind down the flanks and when the ball came in there was only Martin in the box. It's all very functional right now without much excitement or inventiveness. I agree that it isn't worth panicking, as a new manager and new players will take a little time to settle, but by the same token I'm not sure it's worth crowing about green shoots in what was a fairly pedestrian 0-0 draw.

I think we might be missing the more advanced midfielders, like Bryson and Hendrick. A couple of times tonight we got in behind down the flanks and when the ball came in there was only Martin in the box. It's all very functional right now without much excitement or inventiveness. I agree that it isn't worth panicking, as a new manager and new players will take a little time to settle, but by the same token I'm not sure it's worth crowing about green shoots in what was a fairly pedestrian 0-0 draw.

Midfield 3 playing together for the 1st time, probably not too much training time either.

Throw in Wiemann making a rare start, and there's 4 of the front 6 playing together for the 1st time, so I'd say it was an encouraging effort.

In a few more weeks, when they have developed a better understanding of each other's games, we'll see the fast flowing, attack minded play we're used to.

For the meantime, we have to patient while they look to see what options are on, rather than instinctively knowing where and when team-mates want the ball.

I'm not saying we'll be the best team in the league, but we'll be in the top 1!

Some razor blades out tonight because we drew with a team who are one of the best in the division, have won their last four and are rock solid defensively. Sod the negativity, you know what, I like what I'm seeing and here's why:

The defence: we look solid in defence, best I've seen us for years. Isn't it interesting that tonight 3 of the 4 defenders at the back were the same ones leading goals for fun last season? we look well drilled and organised, calm and assured.we've gone from having statistically one of the worst defences at the back end of last season to statistically one of the best this season. 

The goals will come: as I alluded to tonight, our midfield is pretty much brand new, it is going to take time for them to gel with the rest of the squad, the ideas are there as clear as daylight and I am 100% confident we will be as solid up front as we are at the back in no time.

I like Clement, he is a tactician. I like what he's trying to do, he's sured us up at the back and we are very hard to beat now. We aren't going to lose many games this season. We are off on a little run now, 2 away wins and a Good draw against a promotion favourite tonight, of which we were the better team. Win against MK Dons and we're looking good. I have every faith, it is all coming together, watch this space. 

Carson and Shackell has really made the difference. Of course tactics are more careful too, but I like the idea behind it. If we are going to concede only deflected shots, we should be fine... And our attackers should be good enough to score at least once a game...

Could be good season for us.

At this stage I don't think we look any better than last season - tighter defensively, yes, but less fluent going forward. We really miss Hughes as his footballing intelligence and passing ability are a level above the rest of our squad.

I absolutely agree Clement needs time for his team to gel and there is still plenty of time, but talk of top 10 finishes being acceptable is nonsense for me. We already had a squad that could have gone up last season and the season before, which we have since invested £20 million in.  Anything other than promotion would represent failure for me, even with a new manager in charge.

Clement the tactician .......?.   God knows where that comment comes from

Last season some complained that MacClaren had no plan B . Has Clement ever changed things in a match ? Does he select and have subs that can change a game ?  We have a big squad it should be possible. Hendrick was a bit more direct than Butterfield when he came on but Bent would have been a  better sub and changed things more.

We were impressive at times last night but Clement is as negative as Clough used to be.

Clement the tactician .......?.   God knows where that comment comes from

Last season some complained that MacClaren had no plan B . Has Clement ever changed things in a match ? Does he select and have subs that can change a game ?  We have a big squad it should be possible. Hendrick was a bit more direct than Butterfield when he came on but Bent would have been a  better sub and changed things more.

We were impressive at times last night but Clement is as negative as Clough used to be.

Archived