You know what, I like what I'm seeing

Derbados

A stand out point for me last night was the teams work ethic off the ball, when we lost possession every player was busting a gut to retrieve it. We were just lacking that last little bit of quality last night, very surprised Bent didn't come on the ball was getting in the areas he usually poaches from.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not too many complaints for drawing against a decent side like Burnley, but we have to follow it up with beating that shower destined for relegation next Saturday.

I think we might be missing the more advanced midfielders, like Bryson and Hendrick. A couple of times tonight we got in behind down the flanks and when the ball came in there was only Martin in the box. It's all very functional right now without much excitement or inventiveness. I agree that it isn't worth panicking, as a new manager and new players will take a little time to settle, but by the same token I'm not sure it's worth crowing about green shoots in what was a fairly pedestrian 0-0 draw.

Everything was good last night except the final 1/3 - we lack to ability to break down oppostions defence, we struggled against Charlton /Boro and Bunley.

Yes, we won two games but those were away and we were counter attacking and then hung on for both wins.

At home most teams will come for the point, we need to break then down.... Check out the intreview with Higgenbottom and Minto and listen to what Clement says about opposition coming here, I cannot believe he seems surpised at teams coming here for the point.

Our team is so much better than the 7 goals tally, but thats what it is and its down Clement to start earning his cash.

I reckon Phillips was brought in because of lack of breaking down teams in the final 1/3, lets hope he can coach us into an attcking force to be reckon with, because at the moment we are predicable in that final 1/3.

We made Burnley look so poor last night, we were all over them, but for all our ability we lack the basics to break down a defence, its not the first time this season is it?

I agree although I cannot see either Bryson or Hendrick now figuring in our strongest 11. It seems to me PC is playing it a bit too zonal in advanced areas where I don't think Butterfield is being given the freedom other clubs may have let him have, and our wide players are being kept wide and asked to track back. Consequently, like the game at Reading, Martin is all too often isolated and is not influencing games with his touch/vision. I think at some point one of Ince, Russell or Weimann have got to be allowed to get much closer to Martin, or we may become increasing reliant on goals coming from hits from 12 / 18 yards, or dead ball situations.  I think the gung ho times are now well behind us, for better or worse. Notwithstanding a top 6 position is ours for the taking this season.

Bigger picture. Before the last 3 games if someone offered me 7 points from 9 I would have taken it. Swap the Reading and Burnley results round and everyone would be happy. Win the next two and 13 out 15 is very promising. I think we are going about it nicely, gel over the next 3-4 games while picking results up and we will be well placed. 

I reckon the goals will come as Thorne gets fitter. Butterfield and Johnson seemed to be dropping deep last night to help cover when Burnley had the ball and therefore didn't get forward as fast as we would have liked when we got the ball back.

But now the defence is looking more organised and less likely to concede silly goals and Thorne has returned, I reckon the other midfielders will soon get the confidence to stay further forward and support Martin and get on the end of his clever flicks and lay offs.

Archived