Sicily, and Italy in general.

Mostyn6

Evening all. Just spent a couple of hours watching a 3 part documentary on BBC4 called Sicily Unpacked and found it totally captivating.

Has anyone ever been? Some of the sights to see look amazing. I'm now desperate to go.

I read a John Grisham book about a year ago, I think it was The Broker, and in the book the main character goes to Bologna in North Italy and the descriptive in the book made me really want to visit the place. I started looking at a few guide books and considered learning Italian, and still intend to.

I'd be interested if anyone here has experienced Sicily or Italy and has tales to tell.

I'm finding it a bit frustrating that none of my friends share my fascination with the place which means a holiday Italy with friends looks very unlikely.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been to Venice many years ago, if it's anything like the foul smelling tourist trap it was then i would not recommend it.  Italy however interests me, especially the Tuscany region.  i bought a two volume book of photos from the thirties until fifties taken in a town called Castelfiorentino, massive books with incredible pictures and even though the text is in Italian, i cherish those books.  That's about all i know of Italy, except to say that i am a sucker for Italian design, excluding cars of course.

I've also been to Venice, however I wouldn't describe it a foul smelling tourist trap, more like one of the most incredible places I've ever seen!

Stopped in an out the way B&B in one of the poorer districts, near the Jewish quarter, Tre Archi I think it was called, had far less funds than now, but still had the best 3 days.

Took a guide book, and did all the sights on foot and vaporetto, saw one painting in a church lodging hall by Tintoretto which was worth the trip on its own, a magnificent painting which took up the entirety of a wall, spent at least an hour just gazing in wonder taking it all in, and I'm not an arty farty type at all!

The Jewish quarter is also well worth a wonder, no tourists that far north, so a chance to wonder round in isolation seeing how Venetian's live and work without American tour party's disturbing you.

I'd recommend it to anyone, just for the novelty of seeing Binmen and Paramedics in boats!

I've also been to Venice, however I wouldn't describe it a foul smelling tourist trap, more like one of the most incredible places I've ever seen!

Stopped in an out the way B&B in one of the poorer districts, near the Jewish quarter, Tre Archi I think it was called, had far less funds than now, but still had the best 3 days.

Took a guide book, and did all the sights on foot and vaporetto, saw one painting in a church lodging hall by Tintoretto which was worth the trip on its own, a magnificent painting which took up the entirety of a wall, spent at least an hour just gazing in wonder taking it all in, and I'm not an arty farty type at all!

The Jewish quarter is also well worth a wonder, no tourists that far north, so a chance to wonder round in isolation seeing how Venetian's live and work without American tour party's disturbing you.

I'd recommend it to anyone, just for the novelty of seeing Binmen and Paramedics in boats!

in one of the episodes I watched last night, they went into this chapel in Palermo, honestly, even on TV, the display on the back wall was breathtaking.

I went into some nice buildings in Prague when on a business trip that blew my mind, but some of the Sicily stuff is just beyond belief. So much so, that considering we as humans have supposedly evolved, I'm convinced nobody could emulate or recreate the stuff that is 1000 years old in Sicily.

There's a saying 'See Naples and die'. You quite possibly would, but for the wrong reasons.

My mother went on a trip to Venice with a friend, after my Dad died (having been in Naples, 25 years earlier, in the war). They went on a romantic trip on a Gondola. The Gondolier was cross-eyed and had B.O.

Hope that helps.

I went to Venice this summer, and given how red-hot it was, I was surprised that it didn’t stink at all. Everyone told me that it would.

There is no doubt it’s an impressive place, but really stupid at the same time. Why would you build a city on a lagoon? All the buildings look amazing if you stare at them from head height and above, but if you look at where they meet the water, they all look like they are about to collapse.

Apart from that it was a horrenous tourist trap. Massively expensive and rammed full of people with selfie sticks. Once we got away from the busy areas, it was much more pleasant. 80 Euros for 30 minutes on a Gondola though – wow. Those guys must be loaded and half of them don’t even both with the full costume any more!

We stayed just outside Venice in Treviso (which is where the RyanAir flights go to) – and that was a much nicer place than Venice in terms of being much quieter and cheaper yet with just as many beautiful buildings. Public transport to Venice is dirt cheap so don’t get ripped off by the official airline transfers into Venice!

Apart from that I went to Rome a few years back, which was full of historical “must see” stuff but a bit scary after night fall if you wandered outside of the tourist areas. Then we travelled to Naples by train and I can honestly say that Naples is the most horrific place I’ve ever visited. I hated it. It was dirty, crap (literally and metaphorically) everywhere.Every single car you saw was dented to buggery. The roads were chaotic. No nice bits to see and terrifying after dark. My wife had her handbag snatched and we spent the last night too scared to leave the hotel. That said we had a day trip out to Pompeii which was pretty cool, and a ferry trip to the Isle Of Capri – which was lovely. But “See Naples and Die” sounds about right.

People tll me that the north of Italy is generally much nicer/friendly  than southern Italy, but I’m in no rush to find out. Just go to Croatia instead. It’s the same but BETTER  in every way :D

Been to Palermo which is generally a 5hit hole! Specifically I went to see the palatine chapel, worth the trip just to see that.  I hear the island is fantastic and I do intent to go back but miss out Palermo.  If you go, don't be put off by my comments, Palermo is still worth a visit.

rome was too full of tourists but a bucket list trip, honestly a bit disappointing.

venice was great, expensive but a definite go back to! Do all the tourist things and the experience is rewarding next time we will try to stay on one of the outlying islands.

my daughter went to Turin on business and expected little.  She thought it was fabulous and says we must go.  On the face of it and industrial city but there are some real gems to experience.

i like Italy similar vibe to Spain

hope this helps

My favourite holidays with my family were always in Italy. The food's amazing and the people in places are so different to here - all the buildings are old, all the roads are either crumbling apart or smooth as a billiard table with flowers on the central reservation, and absolutely everyone drives a scooter.

Don't go there once and once only, and try to go to different places. People say France is regional but Italy is even more so. It's really two countries - the south is subsidised by the north, which is one of the richest areas in Europe. Every region feels completely different to the last.

My parents don't like flying so when I used to still holiday with them a few years ago, we'd drive down so I've never been further south than Umbria. Umbria's alright if you like sunflowers, heat and you can stand the odd tourist from New Jersey. Tuscany's lovely, and stay somewhere near the Ligurina border and you'll completely avoid stuck-up British tourists. Liguria is where the Italians take their holiday, and apart from Cinque Terre it's one of the least touristy places I've ever been on holiday, but places like Pisa are still a driveable distance.

But my favourite place is Lake Como. When I make my millions I'll probably move there. 

If you want to go, do your research on all the regions and pick one that sounds most like you and stay there a while would be my advice. There's loads to do and eat wherever you are.

Only been to Rome but really enjoyed a few days there about 5 years ago. Quite a compact city with everything in walking distance. We stayed in a nice small independent hotel close to the train station, which was central for most things.

Loved the ruins and architecture generally but also the atmosphere around the Spanish Steps & Piazza Del Poppolo in the evenings. Great place to sit & people watch.

Venice is nice and romantic. 

Milan is **** hole 

Rome is decent 

Turin meh 

Florence is decent 

Bologna is such a dull and boring

Rimini is my favourite place in Italy tbh. 

Venice was boring as hell. Went for 3 days, walked round it, was fascinated by it, and then when we woke up the next day I asked what we'd be doing and it transpires you just walk around it again. Loads to see, nothing to do. Maybe I just looked at too many things.

Rome was alright, we did all the "seey" things and they were much better than Venice, but then there was still a fair old bit to do.

I'm going to Italy one day again @Mostyn, but I don't think Mrs Bilbo would appreciate me inviting you

Venice was boring as hell. Went for 3 days, walked round it, was fascinated by it, and then when we woke up the next day I asked what we'd be doing and it transpires you just walk around it again. Loads to see, nothing to do. Maybe I just looked at too many things.

Rome was alright, we did all the "seey" things and they were much better than Venice, but then there was still a fair old bit to do.

I'm going to Italy one day again @Mostyn, but I don't think Mrs Bilbo would appreciate me inviting you

"Mrs Bilbo"?? She'd slaughter you if she knew!! hahaha :lol: 

It's not YOU going then is it? It's "we". Thanks for the......er...... nevermind.

Poor man's south of France.

Absolute tosh. Italy p1sses all over France. Not been to Sicily but as Duracell said Tuscany and the Ligurian coast are fantastic.

Even touristy places like Venice and Cinque Terre are great if you go at the right time of year. Spring or Autumn for the former and June or September for the latter. Rome and Florence are two amazing cities so much history and art.

Now as I said i haven't been to Sicily but I have been to Sardinia several times and it's superb, Great beaches and food and again if you go June or September it's not too busy.

Spent a week in July at Lake Garda. Totally stunning, gorgeous weather and the food was incredible, which sort of goes without saying. Would happily go there again. Wanted to take a trip to Venice but would have lost too much time to travel. Went to Rome when I was younger and it was fascinating.

Absolute tosh. Italy p1sses all over France. Not been to Sicily but as Duracell said Tuscany and the Ligurian coast are fantastic.

Even touristy places like Venice and Cinque Terre are great if you go at the right time of year. Spring or Autumn for the former and June or September for the latter. Rome and Florence are two amazing cities so much history and art.

Now as I said i haven't been to Sicily but I have been to Sardinia several times and it's superb, Great beaches and food and again if you go June or September it's not too busy.

Bang on the money there. Sardinia is great, and if you can go outside the school holidays it can be done fairly cheap and a a day trip to Corsica is a must, it's French but again a fantastic place. 

Archived