Baird's sending off for Northern Ireland

DerbyPride

I've only seen a passing mention on this on the Hendrick thread so thought it deserved its own thread. I've never before seen a sending off like Baird's from last night and I'm on the fence about whether it should have stood or not. If the ref thinks both fouls are bookable offences then that's all well and good, but as Michael O'Neill said, Baird wouldn't have made the second tackle if he knew he was on a booking. A strange one that I'm surprised hasn't come up before.

The video of the incident(s) can be seen here.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only seen a passing mention on this on the Hendrick thread so thought it deserved its own thread. I've never before seen a sending off like Baird's from last night and I'm on the fence about whether it should have stood or not. If the ref thinks both fouls are bookable offences then that's all well and good, but as Michael O'Neill said, Baird wouldn't have made the second tackle if he knew he was on a booking. A strange one that I'm surprised hasn't come up before.

Hard to see what happens with the first incident, the second was a very poor tackle. If he first was how it looks from a distance, then he can have no complaints.

He deserved it. It wasn't the "same incident" at all.

He's had a kick at the back of someone up one end of the pitch, then as the ball has broken he's chased someone down at the other end and cleaned him out.

The ref was clearly playing on until the game had stopped to book him for the first one, and then he makes the second challenge. It's immaterial what Baird knew or didn't in terms of the first card. Anyway, if he was smart he would have realised he was going to be booked for that first challenge anyway once the ball had gone out of play, so wouldn't have made the second.

He's made two separate challenges on two different players on different parts of the pitch. Both were yellows.

To be honest he could have received a straight red for the second challenge alone.

It's a sending off. It's a bizarre situation, but the ref made the right call.

The first tackle is just him doing his job as a midfield enforcer. The Hungarian player is trying to be cute by obstructing Baird off the ball, so Baird gives him a Cloughesque knee up the jacksy. He's unlucky that he's been spotted because the ref's back was turned, so I'm guessing he had one of assistants in his ear telling him what happened.

The second tackle is stupid and he's lost his head. Sometimes defensive midfielders need to take a booking in those situations in order to stop the play and allow team mates to get back into defensive positions, but look at how many defenders there are between the Hungarian and the goal. There's no need to make the challenge.

Both are obvious yellows and the rules allow you to be booked twice in the same section of play. If Baird didn't know that it's his own fault. Just think about it logically, if you could only hand out one yellow during the same section of play then any time advantage was played after a bad foul the offending player would have a free license to foul again and again until play was stopped.

He shouldn't have made that second tackle regardless of whether he thought he was going to be booked for the first one or not. Does the manager really think he took that into consideration? He's talking out of his arse.

but as Michael O'Neill said, Baird wouldn't have made the second tackle if he knew he was on a booking.

I buy this...

He shouldn't have made that second tackle regardless of whether he thought he was going to be booked for the first one or not. 

I think you give his intelligence too much credit! Most footballers aren't smart enough to work that through... The adrenaline was rushing and it might even be the case of pumping MORE after 'getting away with' a kick further up the pitch and then legging it back...

Dunno but that's my read on it... Deserved the red... But can appreciate WHY it happened...

Interesting situation. I've often wondered what the rules are on it. I'm on the side of saying he should have gone, but was unlucky that the first one got picked up. It's perfectly sensible to point out he may well have not made the second challenge if he knew the first one got noticed but I don't think the referee could have made any other decision. 

But it was a rash tackle, that's all. I don't know on what grounds people are saying he lost his head and needs taking out the side. It's no big deal. John Eustace did the same against Ipswich and he's a cult hero.

I remember Mark Wright sprinting 50 yards to smash a Norwich player in the face (Trevor Putney?); he was sent off and never got the crap Baird (not even a Derby game) or Keogh gets.

Yes, Wright was a great captain and player but some fans are constantly looking for a boo boy.

If you remember the incident then I am sure you will remember that The Tin Man was being assaulted by a few Norwich players and Ooh Mark Wright came to even things up, Putney deserved what he got.

Baird on the other hand aimed a cowardly kick at an opponent running full force, the sort of cheap shot that can cause a serious injury to a fellow professional.

Not going to hold it against Baird but it was very poor from supposed captain material to lose his head like that at such an important moment for his team.

Archived