Baird's sending off for Northern Ireland

DerbyPride

That was 2 red cards. You can only think that someone has 'done' him earlier and he's steaming about it. Not an excuse just trying to explain it.  

It's a weird one and I agree we can surely only be seeing this out of context. I couldn't see what happened in the first incident but I'd certainly have sent him off for the second anyway as it's a horror challenge. Baird's blood is surely boiling over something.

I would say it's alarming that, whatever the provocation, our skipper is willing to do that in the most important international qualifier his country has played for a very long time. Oh for more intelligent footballers who actually think before they act. Imagine we need to win a game to secure promotion, we're losing and the captain goes and gets himself sent off. We need him to be better than that.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both of them could be warranted as straight red cards and he should have gone off, but I didn't think you could issue two yellows without the player acknowledging them.

I remember Kasper Schmeichel getting sent off for two bookable offences when he was shown a yellow card when he had his back to the ref, and there was outcry.

To summarise, he was right to be sent off, but wrong in the manner in which it happened.

Second one was a straight red, no attempt to play the ball and was not just stopping the striker in his tracks, he set out to hurt him.

The latest player to crumble under the stress of being DCFC captain?!

totally agree with the first point, I think the second tackle is enough on its own to get sent off for, ONeil is talking out of his behind. 

Great refereeing though...

Got to say, deserved it. Looked to me like he had two digs at the first player. Im sure had it happened in a Derby game we would be trying to find a reason why he shouldnt have gone, but he deserved to, lucky not to get a straight red for the 2nd one.

I like to give players chances but Baird worries me, it worries me he has been made Captain and that sort of implies he will be in the team every week, his reaction to the fans in the Leeds game wasnt one of a calm head you would want from your Captain.

Archived