Derby v Burnley

SaintRam

Feel for the season ticket holders BUT thank you sky, it's a four hundred mile round trip for me , with petrol beers hotel and curry it's over £300 a game, can only make 5-6 a year plus a few away games.

Would you be happy for it to be shown at three or one on Saturday? 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Makes no odds to me as I can't make this game so my season ticket will be used hopefully by someone else. But a bar will be sought out on my holibobs to watch on TV. Result! 

But I am annoyed they tinker with so many games and to do it at short notice is bad for fans who have made expensive plans. They should refund their rail/hotel etc. 

And here we are again :) 

Honestly I can feel your frustrations for those that can't make it now, must be a real ballache when you have paid for a season ticket  up front and watching games get moved, it's also a ballache for me when it costs the price of a season ticket to get to 4 games a season, guess that's my choice for living over here.

When I see comments like Sky Sports is ruining football I think of the thousands of Derby fans outside the UK that can now watch the game like Bris, Mcsilks, Muespach, the fans in the UK like iRam and Cumbrian where it would cost even more than me to get to the game and can now see it for as little as £7 with NowTV and can't help but think how great Sky Sports is. Controversial I know. 

When you buy a season ticket you know this will happen tho, it shouldn't but it does and that's the only thing I would criticise Sky for, not working with the PL and FL before they release the fixtures, allowing fans to book holidays etc. knowing when games are on.

At the same time Sky want to cover the important games, towards the back end of the season there is no way predicting these. 

Only solution would be for Sky to be allowed to screen games at 3pm on a Saturday, would it effect attendances? maybe, hard to tell without trying. 

By the way I can only make Saturday games as well, any midweek unless they are away and within an hour away like Rotherham or Hull it's a no go so if this was a game I was selecting to go to I'm screwed as well.

You make some good points Daveo - and I am a ST holder that travels about 2 hours for each home game and IMO Sky has changed (rather than ruined) football, but not always for the better.

It doesn't appear that nowadays many fans wanting to watch live matches are fairly treated.  It IS harder to get to a ground for 7.45pm on a Monday or Friday night or Sunday at 4.00pm, than 3.00pm on a Saturday.  Yes, most matches overall in all four leagues do KO at 3.00pm/Saturday but for the popular clubs (and we are one of those this season) it can feel to be a rare event.  Half of our opening games is too much, and yet there doesn't appear to be a mechanism by which that can be changed.

Yes, it's great that overseas fans can watch matches but so far as I can see they can do that anyway through streams at 3.00pm on a Saturday or at 7.45 on a weekday.  Is the only difference legality, because it can't affect attendances that much if that is the case?

I'm watching Liverpool/Arsenal on my iPad as I write this.  If you lived in Liverpool you would have had to have set off mid way through the afternoon to get to London to watch the match live; you would miss part of a working day; public transport may not get you back until the early hours or tomorrow morning.  Lots of their fans appear to have made it but maybe that's because lots live in London.  What if it were Stoke?

I still think that Sky, BT, the FA, the EPL and the Football League put the interests of travelling fans generally, behind those of television and that the fans of popular clubs (we may not be one next year) suffer more than most.  And I still think that in doing so they are changing football for the worse.  Or ruining it, if you like.

Feel for the season ticket holders BUT thank you sky, it's a four hundred mile round trip for me , with petrol beers hotel and curry it's over £300 a game, can only make 5-6 a year plus a few away games.

I think Froggg, and @Daveo too, you really do fail to appreciate how pathetic we are. Eddie thinks we are half fans, but there are a good few others who think he is over-estimating our love of the team.  Personally, however, I really don't give a toss. There will be one or two losers from this, and that is unfortunate, but I can't see that Sky giving 4 weeks notice (considering the amount of money that they pump into football) is at all unreasonable. But there again, I am not one of those season ticket holders who go week in week out, to have a bloody good moan, and typically leave 5 minutes before the end.  I will enjoy the Burnley game; I might invite one of my imaginary mates round to join me on the sofa.

You make some good points Daveo - and I am a ST holder that travels about 2 hours for each home game and IMO Sky has changed (rather than ruined) football, but not always for the better.

It doesn't appear that nowadays many fans wanting to watch live matches are fairly treated.  It IS harder to get to a ground for 7.45pm on a Monday or Friday night or Sunday at 4.00pm, than 3.00pm on a Saturday.  Yes, most matches overall in all four leagues do KO at 3.00pm/Saturday but for the popular clubs (and we are one of those this season) it can feel to be a rare event.  Half of our opening games is too much, and yet there doesn't appear to be a mechanism by which that can be changed.

Yes, it's great that overseas fans can watch matches but so far as I can see they can do that anyway through streams at 3.00pm on a Saturday or at 7.45 on a weekday.  Is the only difference legality, because it can't affect attendances that much if that is the case?

I'm watching Liverpool/Arsenal on my iPad as I write this.  If you lived in Liverpool you would have had to have set off mid way through the afternoon to get to London to watch the match live; you would miss part of a working day; public transport may not get you back until the early hours or tomorrow morning.  Lots of their fans appear to have made it but maybe that's because lots live in London.  What if it were Stoke?

I still think that Sky, BT, the FA, the EPL and the Football League put the interests of travelling fans generally, behind those of television and that the fans of popular clubs (we may not be one next year) suffer more than most.  And I still think that in doing so they are changing football for the worse.  Or ruining it, if you like.

At the moment in the Championship if you are a main game selected for highlights you might get a stream. Haven't looked myself this season as yet so not sure if they are as freely available now C5 have the contract.

With the distance you raise a good point, one that should be looked at throughout all leagues, how many times have Derby ended up in Blackpool on a Tuesday night? Wouldn't be as bad if trains were available but they stop running by time the game finishes. 

This isn't down to Sky tho.

Tonight's game is but the cheapest ticket is £64! With the new TV deal that's a ridiculous price to be charging fans, this is ruining football more than Sky.

I think Froggg, and @Daveo too, you really do fail to appreciate how pathetic we are. Eddie thinks we are half fans, but there are a good few others who think he is over-estimating our love of the team.  Personally, however, I really don't give a toss. There will be one or two losers from this, and that is unfortunate, but I can't see that Sky giving 4 weeks notice (considering the amount of money that they pump into football) is at all unreasonable. But there again, I am not one of those season ticket holders who go week in week out, to have a bloody good moan, and typically leave 5 minutes before the end.  I will enjoy the Burnley game; I might invite one of my imaginary mates round to join me on the sofa.

No need to be so condescending I-Ram.

The vast majority of season ticket holders don't go week in week out to have a good moan. The vast majority of season ticket holders go to support their club through thick and thin. The vast majority of season ticket holders keep the club going.

Sky would not pump one penny into football if the stadiums were empty yet they continue to push us over and over again, making it as difficult as possible for people to enjoy their chosen pastime of watching live football in a stadium. Like others have said, its just tolerable if its early or late Saturday or even Sunday. At least its the weekend and gives you a chance of meeting up with mates, having a beer and enjoying watching the team you love.

Personally I would dance naked in the market square fountain if Sky fooked off and took their fooking money and plastic fans with them.

At the moment in the Championship if you are a main game selected for highlights you might get a stream. Haven't looked myself this season as yet so not sure if they are as freely available now C5 have the contract.

With the distance you raise a good point, one that should be looked at throughout all leagues, how many times have Derby ended up in Blackpool on a Tuesday night? Wouldn't be as bad if trains were available but they stop running by time the game finishes. 

This isn't down to Sky tho.

Tonight's game is but the cheapest ticket is £64! With the new TV deal that's a ridiculous price to be charging fans, this is ruining football more than Sky.

Every single match in all four leagues is now covered by TV (or otherwise where do the highlights come from?), so what is to stop that coverage being made available overseas on subscription?  Little impact on attendances, by definition.  

UK fans living a long way away/unable to pay high ticket prices/unable to travel will then argue that they too should have access to the same coverage and immediately you have a different argument about possible impact on attendance - would I not go if petrol got too expensive or if it was icy or snowy or Mrs Ilkley (she wouldn't) argued that leaving at 11.30am and returning at 7.00pm on a Saturday was unreasonable?  But then I don't have young kids any more.  At £64 a match though I would definitely think twice about going to the Emirates. But enough Liverpool fans thought it worth the money tonight and whilst those tickets are sold then Arsenal will continue to charge the prices, short term thinking though that may be.

This country has largely lost the concept of public service.  At the Olympics in London there were late running tube trains to get people back into London because people thought and planned ahead and Boris threw the RMT enough wedge.  The Highways Agency found and still find it impossible to suspend or delay roadworks on the A38 to allow traffic to leave Derby quickly after a match - at one point last season they had both the A52 and the A38 shut.  It's perfectly possible to organise public transport around match end times and it would be perfectly possible for the cost of that to come from TV money - but no one makes it 'their problem', because they're not bothered enough about travelling fans.  I suspect it may be different in other countries.

When KO was 3.00pm on a Saturday, bar a few FA Cup/European matches, it wasn't a problem.  Now it is increasingly one, but services don't adjust to keep up.

The vast majority of season ticket holders don't go week in week out to have a good moan. The vast majority of season ticket holders go to support their club through thick and thin. The vast majority of season ticket holders keep the club going.

Sky would not pump one penny into football if the stadiums were empty yet they continue to push us over and over again, making it as difficult as possible for people to enjoy their chosen pastime of watching live football in a stadium. Like others have said, its just tolerable if its early or late Saturday or even Sunday. At least its the weekend and gives you a chance of meeting up with mates, having a beer and enjoying watching the team you love.

Personally I would dance naked in the market square fountain if Sky fooked off and took their fooking money and plastic fans with them.

I didn't realise I was being condescending Uttox. I just have issues with some fans who think they are better than others because they buy a bloody season ticket, and I find it very amusing to wind up and reveal people who would rather dance naked in market square fountains than allow "plastics" - whether plastic by age, disability, finances or geography - to be able to watch the team they love and have supported all their life from having an opportunity to watch them one way or another. 

I didn't realise I was being condescending Uttox. I just have issues with some fans who think they are better than others because they buy a bloody season ticket, and I find it very amusing to wind up and reveal people who would rather dance naked in market square fountains than allow "plastics" - whether plastic by age, disability, finances or geography - to be able to watch the team they love and have supported all their life from having an opportunity to watch them one way or another. 

Without the season ticket holders you wunt have a team to watch. Nobody thinks they're better than anyone else but its a valid moan for ST holders when too many games get changed to stupid nights.

The dance naked in the market square fountain remark was a reference to a possible celebration if Sky did pull out of football not aimed at infirm southerners who can't prise themselves out of their calf leather electric reclining sofa with built in drink holders and docking stations.

ST holders have every right to feel more aggrieved than others. Obviously things are subject to change every now and then, but I'm making a commitment to go and watch Derby at home as agreed (Saturday afternoons and Tuesday evenings) If the schedule keeps changing, people are less likely to be able to go to games and the value for money in a ST depletes. 

I'd love to know how many STs we'd sell if home games were midweek every time. 

Whilst I agree, in this eventuality could you give us some notice, preventing me from losing my Nandos. 

I'm lucky, the change is a positive one from my perspective, but I understand others are hard hit, shift workers etc.

Maybe the club should introduce a Stubhub type system, so ST holders could sell their seats if unable to attend, at least then you don't take a financial hit too.

look sky put a great deal of money into the game and for that im not gonna moan,

yet, they shouldnt be able to bend the football league over a barrel just because they lost the rights to a lot of high profile games e.g. some prem and champs league.

changing a saturday game to a sunday or a midweek game to another midweek game, by and large wont affect a lot, but changing a weekend game to midweek is not cool, because for me it means my nephew cant go because its a school night, my friend who comes with me can't come due to being at work weekday nights and im lucky that i have a job where i can get to the match still i have to pass up a shift to do so.

Without the season ticket holders you wunt have a team to watch. Nobody thinks they're better than anyone else but its a valid moan for ST holders when too many games get changed to stupid nights.

The dance naked in the market square fountain remark was a reference to a possible celebration if Sky did pull out of football not aimed at infirm southerners who can't prise themselves out of their calf leather electric reclining sofa with built in drink holders and docking stations.

For the record I am neither infirm, a southerner, nor do I have any reclining furniture, electrical or otherwise. I am also not stuck in the 1970's either.  Are you aware that only about 20% of a top clubs income comes from ticket sales (season ticket or matchday income) with the other 80% coming from broadcasting and commercial revenue streams, split about 50/50 but you wouldn't have the latter without the broadcasting. I would suggest therefore that football as it is now could function pretty comfortably without season ticket holders, but it would fall on its arse without Sky money.  Now don't go interpreting this as I am approving of the way football has gone, or that I am a worshipper of Murdoch, and I won't go assuming if you were in charge you would nationalise the game, and insist on every one attending having to wear a flat cap.

at the rate where being put on sky (  not complaining far from it )    is it worth us having season tickets and buying away tickets  ....   of course it is  because we are derby super derby  , CO.Y.R   :thumbsup:

Being stuck in the '70s (and why not?) I recall Lord Brian complaining that with Super Derby being the televised match almost every week, other managers had a better chance of working out strategies for dealing with our unique methods of taking max points.

The fact that we kept winning made us victims of our own success, but I was able to live with that then and reckon I can manage to do so again!

Loadsamoney going into the Rams' coffers, can't argue with that.

Archived