Derby v Burnley

SaintRam

I'm lucky, the change is a positive one from my perspective, but I understand others are hard hit, shift workers etc.

Maybe the club should introduce a Stubhub type system, so ST holders could sell their seats if unable to attend, at least then you don't take a financial hit too.

One for the suggestion thread there.

My add on to that would be refund ST holders when games have been moved for Sky and they can't attend. 

Seems fair.

ST holder isn't left out of pocket and the club get the opportunity to sell the ticket for more £££.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not just season ticket holders. 

People book trains and planes and hotels. 

I know the reply will be "well don't then. Fixtures always get moved" 

There's no good reason to move them so far. Here or there a couple of hours. Maybe back to the Sunday at a push. But it's not right that it's been plonked in the next week. 

People fit football into their lives. Not their lives around football. 

If I'm a Burnley fan I should be able to plan my weekend at Derby. Maybe a slight adjustment if the KO is moved. That's not too much to ask is it? 

Seen one case where there's people coming over from Germany to the game.  Some of you are saying the games cost you £100-300. Seeing as people are already going to the effort and cost to see their team is it really the right attitude to say "Well don't do it then. The fixtures always change" 

Its not just season ticket holders. It's away fans, expats and long distance fans. 

Fair enough if the games have to move for weather/ Cup replays. But to put it on ******* telly? 

You have to move a match 2 days to put it on telly? **** off

My parents in law are going over from Australia. Admittedly, they are not going to the UK solely for the Burnley match, but they were planning around it. The change has stuffed their plans up and they won't be able to go to the match because of it. They are pretty grumpy about it. They are scrambling to make arrangements for the Brentford match, but who knows whether that will change! 

I've spent a good few years bringing them on board as Derby fans and it would be the icing on the cake for them to see Derby at the mighty Pride Park (whoops...ipro). 

It's good for me, because I get to watch them live on the tele over here in Aus, but I bet its frustrating for season ticket holders. 

For the record I am neither infirm, a southerner, nor do I have any reclining furniture, electrical or otherwise. I am also not stuck in the 1970's either.  Are you aware that only about 20% of a top clubs income comes from ticket sales (season ticket or matchday income) with the other 80% coming from broadcasting and commercial revenue streams, split about 50/50 but you wouldn't have the latter without the broadcasting. I would suggest therefore that football as it is now could function pretty comfortably without season ticket holders, but it would fall on its arse without Sky money.  Now don't go interpreting this as I am approving of the way football has gone, or that I am a worshipper of Murdoch, and I won't go assuming if you were in charge you would nationalise the game, and insist on every one attending having to wear a flat cap

Football functioned pretty well for a hundred years, it was the most popular sport in the country long before sky came along.

Far from functioning without ST holders, the complete opposite would happen, empty stadiums would not be box office for sky and they would pull out of football.

Clubs would not survive more than a year or two without ST holders (or regular attendees). So your argument is complete tosh.

I'm lucky, the change is a positive one from my perspective, but I understand others are hard hit, shift workers etc.

Maybe the club should introduce a Stubhub type system, so ST holders could sell their seats if unable to attend, at least then you don't take a financial hit too.

Funnily enough I suggested this when Clough shifted a load of fixtures to Friday nights so players could get the rest days in before the Tuesday games... Club told me at the time that it wasn't possible but I'd assume we've improved our ticketing system since then.

I'd certainly feel a bit better about things if I could at least sell my seat back to the club for the odd games that changes for TV that I can't make - we all expect the midweek fixtures in this league and that's clear when you buy the season tickets but it's the Sky changes that get a bit much as you have no visibility of them...

Sky's prices have inflated at an astronomical amount for pubs, when Sky Sports started it cost £31.00 for the first year, the second year went to £31.00 per month, now it costs over £1,500 per month. With the prices going up the demand for more games to be shown to show value for the increase in price goes up, which is why we keep having our games moved around.

Imagine if your pint went up that much in around 20 years? From just under £3.00 to £1500. Ridiculous.

It's not just season ticket holders. 

People book trains and planes and hotels. 

I know the reply will be "well don't then. Fixtures always get moved" 

There's no good reason to move them so far. Here or there a couple of hours. Maybe back to the Sunday at a push. But it's not right that it's been plonked in the next week. 

People fit football into their lives. Not their lives around football. 

If I'm a Burnley fan I should be able to plan my weekend at Derby. Maybe a slight adjustment if the KO is moved. That's not too much to ask is it? 

Seen one case where there's people coming over from Germany to the game.  Some of you are saying the games cost you £100-300. Seeing as people are already going to the effort and cost to see their team is it really the right attitude to say "Well don't do it then. The fixtures always change" 

Its not just season ticket holders. It's away fans, expats and long distance fans. 

Fair enough if the games have to move for weather/ Cup replays. But to put it on ******* telly? 

You have to move a match 2 days to put it on telly? **** off

well ******* said

I was gutted when I saw this.  I'd earmarked this match as one of my away days this season.  I was going to travel down with my dad and make a weekend of it, kill two birds with one stone by visiting/staying with my brother and sister-in-law who live a few hours from me but closer to Derby than I do.

The move to Monday night has killed the chances of that so I'll be stuck watching it in the local.  A Friday, early Saturday or Sunday fixture I could have still managed but not Monday - that's not compatible with work in the slightest.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the TV viewing figures would likely be for such a game? 

Hard to say, struggling to find ratings for Football matches. I found some from 2013, Between 700-800k watched each BTSport game, 2.2m saw Sky's game (which was Man Utd). BT Sport was not as prevelant as it is now, so I'd imagine that's below the average viewer of a premier league game (which with a complete estimate I'd say is between 1-1.5m).

Derby's game is Championship and I'm not sure what it's competing with but I think it's safe to say the most viewers you'll get is probably 1m, up to 1.5m if it's not competing with anything but I'd say the average is likely to be in the late hundred thousands.

How much advance notice does Sky give clubs when changing fixtures for TV?

The vast majority of the TV selections are made as a block months in advance.

However, not all selections can be made until the outcome of the League Cup and other Cup competitions throughout the season (FA cup for example) which often shortens the lead in time available.

In regard to the advance notice, there is no contracted minimum time limit but the aim is to give at least 28 days notice. Thankfully these occasions are the exception to the rule and not the norm so will therefore be kept to a minimum.

Do both clubs involved have to agree to the switch?

No. There are exemptions to every rule but generally speaking if the home club can get it on it will happen.

Can the club(s) turn down Sky's request?

Again as a general rule clubs can't pick and choose. There would have to be something very serious for us to pull away from a match.

How much money do the club(s) receive?

Fees for a Monday are £100k to the home team and 10k to the away.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Football-League-spokesman-explains-s/story-27674138-detail/story.html#ixzz3jqCXRIFn 

I e-mailed the club about this and here's their response and my reply. I note that on this occasion they have failed to meet the 28 days notice, and also since there have been no cup games since August 13th it's not clear which results they were waiting for when making the change...

Hi, I appreciate that games will be switched for TV, and would never complain about this generally. However the timing of the switch of the Burnley game has left me out of pocket.

As a season ticket holder based in London, I use the train to get to Pride Park. I was under the impression that the games to be on TV in September had already been announced, indeed our match against MK Dons on the 26th and even against Wolves on 18th October had already been re-scheduled. Tickets were even being sold for the Burnley game. So I felt safe in booking my train tickets for the Burnley match, which to get a decent price on East Midlands Trains are non-refundable.

So I was astonished that with less than a month’s notice this game has been rescheduled, wasting the money I had already spent to come up on the Saturday, and necessitating buying new tickets for the Monday at shorter notice (and therefore probably higher prices) than usual.

As I said, I can understand switching games for TV, but why was it done so late on this occasion? Will these late changes be happening again in future?

And given the unusual circumstances would the club consider compensating fans who have made travel arrangements under the reasonable assumption that the date of this fixture had been established and it was too late for changes?

Thanks for your help with this

Thank you for your email and I am very sorry about Sky’s last minute change to our fixture.

Although the vast majority of the TV selections are made in blocks months in advance.  Unfortunately, selections such as these cannot be made until Sky know the outcome of the League Cup and other Cup competitions throughout the season (FA cup for example) which on these occasions shortens the lead in time.

Unfortunately the Football League have no contracted minimum but they do try where possible, to give at least 28 days notice.

I am sorry that as a result of this change you will have incurred additional costs and your plans have also been significantly affected. Please accept my apology on behalf of Sky and I will convey your feedback to the necessary bodies.

Thanks for your reply, and for forwarding my comments to the relevant parties.

Just to note for when you are passing this on that on this occasion they have fallen short of the 28 day's notice that you mention (only 25 days from the announcement to the originally scheduled date). Also it's difficult to understand what cup results they may have been waiting for as there have been no cup fixtures played since the league cup first round on August 11/12/13th when both ourselves and Burnley were eliminated (the second round doesn't start until tonight).

Hard to say, struggling to find ratings for Football matches. I found some from 2013, Between 700-800k watched each BTSport game, 2.2m saw Sky's game (which was Man Utd). BT Sport was not as prevelant as it is now, so I'd imagine that's below the average viewer of a premier league game (which with a complete estimate I'd say is between 1-1.5m).

Derby's game is Championship and I'm not sure what it's competing with but I think it's safe to say the most viewers you'll get is probably 1m, up to 1.5m if it's not competing with anything but I'd say the average is likely to be in the late hundred thousands.

I'd be amazed if it was 200,000. Probably no way of finding out. 

Sith Happens

Cant say im happy, have something else on on the 21st which cant (and dont want to) get out of. But what can you do, its the nature of things now.

Someone will make use of my ticket so its not a total write off.

It does seem to show a lack of respect for fans to do it at late notice...but nothing the club can do, its out of their hands...

Looks like record it and try and avoid result.

Being stuck in the '70s (and why not?) I recall Lord Brian complaining that with Super Derby being the televised match almost every week, other managers had a better chance of working out strategies for dealing with our unique methods of taking max points.

The fact that we kept winning made us victims of our own success, but I was able to live with that then and reckon I can manage to do so again!

Loadsamoney going into the Rams' coffers, can't argue with that.

valid and excellent post  :thumbsup:

This Season - *Fixtures subject to change

Saturday 3pm Kick Off's

Kick Off's: 27

Home Games: 12

Away Games: 15

Saturday Games including early, 3pm and late kick off's

Total: 31

Home: 14

Away: 17

Sunday Games

Total: 1

Home: 1

Away: 0

Midweek Games

Total: 14

Home: 7

Away: 7

Game Day Breakdown

Monday: 2

Tuesday: 9

Wednesday: 1

Thursday: 0

Friday: 2

Saturday: 31

Sunday: 1 

Summary

67% of games are still played on a Saturday

60% of home games are still played on a Saturday

Championship games are traditionally played on a Saturday and Tuesday, we have 20 out of 23 at home games on these days, thats 86%.

Now obviously this is all subject to change with Sky but both Forest games have already been moved to TV slots with the away game on a Friday night and home at 1pm Saturday. 

Archived