inviting unnecessary pressure on yourself?

ronnieronalde

I was very impressed with our second-half performance, but then again, I went. To say that our midfield has been decimated by injury over the first 3 games of the season, and that we were playing our third game in six days whereas Birmingham had had the luxury of no midweek game, I thought that most Derby players did very well indeed, and we were decidedly unlucky not to come away with all three points, after hitting the woodwork three times and having had a number of other near misses.

That's all I'm going to bother posting tonight. The nay-sayers will continue to whine and look for ANY excuse to point the finger at the head coach, so I'm going to have a nice little break from it, otherwise I will say something I will (possibly) regret.

I don't disagree with anything you've written there eddie. The second half performance was very re-assuring and I'll say again, I can see why a few of you were saying it's going to click.

I'm not nay saying, I'm just enjoying my position as looking at things from a different view point to most.

I've had to admit to myself that I've never been able to coldly analyse things before cos I've had too personal a connection, now that's gone I'm noticing and judging things I might have let slide before.

This is the first season for 30 years that I haven't been totally biased and absorbed. Now I'm not tied into that relationship and protecitve nature of being so nervous watching NC's sides, I'm observing football as a neutral and I'm enjoying it.

Sorry if while I'm doing that I talk about things that make some of you uncomfortable, but don't worry about posting things you might regret on my behalf, we've got over bigger disagreements than this  :-)

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where was ths reported/how did you come by this info? I haven't heard anything about it, other than what you have put up. 

Janine Self a freelance sports journalist tweeted the official team sheet. It seems no-one wants to discuss it at all.

Not Owen Bradley, not Steve NIcholson and definitely not the fans.

Some would say that if 90% of people tell me it's a non-issue then it's a non issue. Funnily enough though the 10% who think it's worrying are non Derby fans and none of them have got angry with me or thought I was looking for an issue that doesn't exist.

I can't control what other people have an issue with, I can only control my own standards. I can get disappointed with trivial things though and not only football wise.

I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again.

PC headed off down the tunnel pretty quickly.

therefore if he did take 5 mins before entering the dressing room, where did he go?

maybe to check a few points with the performance analyst? 

Or a poo?

I don't disagree with anything you've written there eddie. The second half performance was very re-assuring and I'll say again, I can see why a few of you were saying it's going to click.

I'm not nay saying, I'm just enjoying my position as looking at things from a different view point to most.

I've had to admit to myself that I've never been able to coldly analyse things before cos I've had too personal a connection, now that's gone I'm noticing and judging things I might have let slide before.

This is the first season for 30 years that I haven't been totally biased and absorbed. Now I'm not tied into that relationship and protecitve nature of being so nervous watching NC's sides, I'm observing football as a neutral and I'm enjoying it.

Sorry if while I'm doing that I talk about things that make some of you uncomfortable, but don't worry about posting things you might regret on my behalf, we've got over bigger disagreements than this  :-)

Trust me when I say you've gone too far the other way. Before you were biased, now you're consciously trying to find faults, because you've never been able to find faults before, or you rarely found faults before. You're overthinking it and putting 'unnecessary pressure' on Clement.

Trust me when I say you've gone too far the other way. Before you were biased, now you're consciously trying to find faults, because you've never been able to find faults before, or you rarely found faults before. You're overthinking it and putting 'unnecessary pressure' on Clement.

I can't agree with that Tombo, I'd love to but I can't. Sorry.

I didn't consciously try to find a fault with the team sheet, there was a glaring mistake on it, I didn't make up something that didn't happen to have a go.

I didn't sit there at half time and think I hope these commentators mention something about Paul Clement not going in to give his team talk for nearly 5 minutes. I wasn't consciously looking to find faults there. if you look at my comments on the game at half time and full time, you can see I've not been critical at all.

My fault? Daring to post something that had already been openly discussed on the tele.

I want Derby promoted, I think I've been very consistent on that point, even since the Mac's first season.

I don't like this accusation that I'm hoping or looking for him to fail, I'm just not comfortable with the start he's made and some of his actions.

I don't want him to be quirky, I want him to be good at his job. Once he starts doing that you'll see me praising him plenty.

Janine Self a freelance sports journalist tweeted the official team sheet. It seems no-one wants to discuss it at all.

Not Owen Bradley, not Steve NIcholson and definitely not the fans.

Some would say that if 90% of people tell me it's a non-issue then it's a non issue. Funnily enough though the 10% who think it's worrying are non Derby fans and none of them have got angry with me or thought I was looking for an issue that doesn't exist.

I can't control what other people have an issue with, I can only control my own standards. I can get disappointed with trivial things though and not only football wise.

I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again.

How did she get hold of it? That would be my main worry.

It isn't the greatest, but it is an over sight, nothing more, nothing less. Someone copying down wrong, getting carried away writing Chris, and putting Baird instead of Martin (just checked on your twitter of the pic of the team sheet)

But can anyone explain to me why the manager waited 4 minutes and 52 seconds of the 15 minute break before going in to deliver his team talk.

What's the most effective way to interact?

Silence.

I think he reusing his mentor's habits and team responded well IMO.

Maybe he should abuse his own players and say they should go back to wherever they came from on the radio?

All managers have different styles to illicit the desired reaction from their players.

As for the team sheet, I remember under Jim Smith we once named 4 non-EU players in the same side and Poom was relegated from the bench for whoever the third choice keeper was.

At the end of the day, anyone can make an administrative error.  Shouldn't the club secretary ensure all paperwork is sufficiently dealt with prior to submission?

This all feels like trying to find issues for the sake of it.

How did she get hold of it? That would be my main worry.

It isn't the greatest, but it is an over sight, nothing more, nothing less. Someone copying down wrong, getting carried away writing Chris, and putting Baird instead of Martin (just checked on your twitter of the pic of the team sheet)

press get a copy of the team sheet don't they? Maybe it was a photocopy not really worrying

I took a bit of stick for the team sheet saga with many telling me I'm looking for issues that don't exist. Strangely I got a different reaction when I asked none Derby County fans, almost to a man they agree it was unprofessional and worrying.

Still I understand the protective blanket you're all throwing over Paul in his first few weeks.

Little things used to nark me about Steve, for example having a coffee during the game, not coming back out for the first five minutes of the second hald or missing the first few minutes of the game while he took up his position next to Sam in the stands. It used to drive me mental.

Now, it worked out ok for Paul tonight, the team came back and fully deserved the point. Derby were the better side, even though Birmingham deserved their point as well.

But can anyone explain to me why the manager waited 4 minutes and 52 seconds of the 15 minute break before going in to deliver his team talk. He's not won a game, his selections have been "quirky", the team sheet saga is careless at best and now he's decided to play mind games with the lads by not going in straight away, it could have badly backfired.

It didn't, the same as the team sheet issue isn't an issue.

Little things planting little doubts, you can get away with that if you've won your first few games but if you haven't won a match it's little things like this that will be noted.. you can tell me I'm harsh to be noting them but he's a rookie manager and I want my rookie managers to show experience, not to do weird things that make me worried about whether he's fully in control.

Your post drips with condescension and arrogance

PC headed off down the tunnel pretty quickly.

therefore if he did take 5 mins before entering the dressing room, where did he go?

maybe to check a few points with the performance analyst? 

Or a poo?

he went for a quick pint and did the half time team talk in the style of Al Murrays pub landlord  character. All very unprofessional if you as me.

Sith Happens

I quite like the idea of being able to pick a player for multiple positions: think i might suggest to PC his team for next week should be:

George Thorne

George Thorne

George Thorne

George Thorne

George Thorne

George Thorne

George Thorne

George Thorne

George Thorne

George Thorne

George Thorne

I reckon PC is such a genius hes onto something :)

press get a copy of the team sheet don't they? Maybe it was a photocopy not really worrying

They get a typed copy, not the actual hand written copy.

Have a look on Moose from Talksport's twitter he is always giving away his copy signed by someone, always typed up by the home club.

Again, he earned the right to behave that way through his results and by winning trophies. The same as Jose calling his wife. Jose can get away with pretty much anything cos he's proven  his methods work.

Do you remember the stick Clough took when he didn't give a team talk in extra time in the FA Cup final?

I don't buy into that philosophy in any walk of life.  Both the managers  you mentioned were successful because they did it their own way, and didn't conform to the "rule book"

What would you have done if you had taken your book to a publisher, who took you the only way that you would be successful is to change the content or your writing style ? Would you have done as they said, on the back them being an expert and you not having a best selling book as yet ? Or would you stick to your principles and seek an alternative way of getting it published ? 

One final question, if you had put this statement to BC, what do you think his answer would have been, no dig, I didn't know him like you did, but from what I have seen and heard, I would guess his answer would have been, so what. 

No what you're saying is that you want your "rookie manager" to fit a standardised mould.  

Mourinho, the most successful manager in England in the last 10 years would not fit in a mould. Because in order to be successful you have to be creative, do things differently and maybe turn some heads. 

For or all we know he could have an agreement with the players that Baird takes the first 5 minutes. 

What pisses me off the most about this is the exact nature of "4 minutes and 52 seconds". Like some sneak with a stopwatch was round the corner observing.

Nothing wrong with it at all, give them a chance to settle and calm down and digest the first half and their own frustrations. Maybe have a chat with each other, give the dressing room leaders a chance to say their bit, I imagine Baird had a few things to say himself. But most important is letting them sit down and relax first, otherwise they're not going to listen to you, they're still caught up in the emotion of the first half.

That's a very good point

Archived